New Modern Amplifiers with Pre Out and Main In

hearhead

Are there still integrated (SS or Tube) audio only amplifiers that still sport the Preamp Out / Power Amp In function like that of the vintage Marantz Receivers?

All I know is that the new Peachtree Audio Amps have a “Loop” in/out that functions like the above vintage receiver pre out/power in.

Curious what I can use with my minidsp.

Home theater amps need not be mentioned

Here’s what I am referring to:

https://imgur.com/gallery/hKNinCZ

Anything with a tape loop or external processor loop will be compatible with your minidsp. In fact, you are better off using in a loop than between the old-school style jumpers between the pre and amp sections, because the line-level (non-variable) signal is "stronger", so there is less potential for introducing significant noise into the signal path, and the signal being handled by the minidsp will be the same at all volume levels.

Any newer post-2000s piece of gear that has this?

Lots--too many to even start to list them. Just look at the specs if you find something you are considering--most will have an image of the back plate which will show a set of in and out jacks in close proximity to one another if there is a loop available.

One does need to check carefully though.

Mere presence of output and input jacks doesn't, these days anyway, guarantee there is a true monitor circuit to support the loop.

One does need to check carefully though.

Mere presence of output and input jacks doesn't, these days anyway, guarantee there is a true monitor circuit to support the loop.

Quite true--that's kind of why I threw in the "check the specs/manual" thing.

The NAD 300 series have pre out and power in connections. The pre outs, in this case, are at up to about 1 volt at full volume setting which will suit most active crossovers well. The tape loop outputs in most amplifiers are not normally amplified or buffered and will be at about the same level as the output from your source components. Note that these amps do not have a phono amplifier (even though they have a disc input) so an eternal phono preamp will be required if using a record deck.

Back
Top Bottom