Best Vintage Speaker Kickoff!

I drove to Chicago to pick these up. In the winter. In between snowstorms (mostly). You might say I was impatient.

Apologies for the poor photos.

Welcome to AK!
First I've seen that particular speaker stand used with speakers that have three legs.

I recently acquired a pair of Yamaha NS-50t speakers. To me they sound better than my Advent 4's, Yamaha NS-200Ms, and Infinity Qe's....on that tier of speakers or category. At the time a Concept 4.5D and 6.5 were taking their turns powering the rig. Nice combo.

I recently acquired a pair of Yamaha NS-50t speakers. To me they sound better than my Advent 4's, Yamaha NS-200Ms, and Infinity Qe's....on that tier of speakers or category. At the time a Concept 4.5D and 6.5 were taking their turns powering the rig. Nice combo.

The NS-50T is unknown and under-rated. Surprised it beat out the NS-200M, which was one of my favorites. I wished I had kept my Concept 6.5. That was the sweetest sounding mid-power receiver and beat out a Marantz 2265B. Sadly all these are gone now.

Years ago I found a pair of perfect looking NS-10t speakers at GW dirt cheap. I got under the assumption they were the famed NS-10's. Hooked them up and they were mighty fine sounding with very clear detailed mids and highs but lows were a bit shy. Later came the NS-200Ma's and those heavy things were nice sounding with a overall cohesion of all the right things. When the opportunity came for the NS-50t's came I took it. I figured if the 10t's sound good then the 50t's should sound great but not over stepping the 200ma's. Side by side comparisons each have a distinct different sound print. Maybe it's the sensitivity? An analogy of the two goes like this: the NS-50t's are like Martin-Logan mates with large Advent 4's. The NS-200Ma's is the wise wealthy producer filming the mating.

Years ago I found a pair of perfect looking NS-10t speakers at GW dirt cheap. I got under the assumption they were the famed NS-10's. Hooked them up and they were mighty fine sounding with very clear detailed mids and highs but lows were a bit shy. Later came the NS-200Ma's and those heavy things were nice sounding with a overall cohesion of all the right things. When the opportunity came for the NS-50t's came I took it. I figured if the 10t's sound good then the 50t's should sound great but not over stepping the 200ma's. Side by side comparisons each have a distinct different sound print. Maybe it's the sensitivity? An analogy of the two goes like this: the NS-50t's are like Martin-Logan mates with large Advent 4's. The NS-200Ma's is the wise wealthy producer filming the mating.

Love them Concepts!!!!!

Gotta go with the large Advents I’ve had since college and recently re-coned. Nothing like rockin’ with “Double Vents” driven with Marantz 240 power back in the day (ELP “Lucky Man”).

Gotta go with the large Advents I’ve had since college and recently re-coned. Nothing like rockin’ with “Double Vents” driven with Marantz 240 power back in the day (ELP “Lucky Man”).
The Stacked Advents would reproduce the <30Hz tones on that tune. Not much else would do it audibly.

The Stacked Advents would reproduce the <30Hz tones on that tune. Not much else would do it audibly.

There were more “accurate” speakers out there but double vents were just fun and powerful to listen to. Any truth to the story that the distance between woofer center points when stacked equaled a particular wave length, thus enabling them the ability to reproduce frequencies below what they were specified to?

Well there is truth to the fact that the distance between the woofers is the same as a certain wavelength...I got no idea about the rest of it.

Speaker specs are what they will do usually within a certain ±#dB. Outside that they roll off (bass) or drop off (tweeter). So they will do below the rating, just way down in volume. Doubling up will sometimes make those low volume, low frequencies audible.

I'm pretty new to this audiophile stuff, I've been buying speakers off of craigslist here in Oregon California,Washington and Nevada, to date I've got the following.
6 Klipsch Hearseys.
6 Klipsch Cornwalls.
4 Warfdale W70s
4 Warfdale W90s, " as of yesterday" picked my second set up, in Bend Oregon.
2 ST550 ? phase Linear speakers.
4 Delquist -10s.
4 Dynaco A-25s.
4 Maganpens 1.7s.
Got others, just don't remember what they are.

Frankly I didn't know what I was doing with the above list. No regrets, each offers such a wonderful blend of music. My goal was and is, I want vintage gear, not interested in the newest latest greatest.

Lastly other then yesterday when I purchased my second pair of Warfdale90s, I've never seen another set, in my travels. I've shopped the entire west coast to find the above, speakers. Everytime, the travel was far more expensive then the purchase.

I love the hunt!

Respectfully.

DirkWilliams

Regarding the DQ-10s pictured above. Both of my sets have the three legs, per that pic. Very easy to break, if not careful.

And I'm sorry after re reading my list of speakers, I believe Im out of line, didn't mean to offend anybody. Just had the vision to purchase speakers decent ones first, a wise old audiophile told me early on speakers are the key to good performance.

I never forgot his point.

Dirk

Oh your post is fine. Thanks for the comment about the DQs feet, I have a set for one pair of my speakers. I too have collected a number of pretty decent speakers and will grab something that has a good rep if cheap.

Man, who dug up this old thread? lol.

My late '70's Mcintosh XRT20 line arrays make me quite happy.

Man, who dug up this old thread? lol.

My late '70's Mcintosh XRT20 line arrays make me quite happy.
Seems like it was Gang-Twanger back in 2015. Most pages take this thread back 6-12 months at a time until the 2006-2015 siesta. He did that on page 2. Since then it has had a few contributions annually to keep it fresh so you could add your comments. Thanks for stopping in.

Helped a friend who owned an upscale audio store in El Paso TX set up a pair of IRS5s. I think he finally locked the store and we left @ 1:00 AM. I remember my ears were ringing as we walked out. That is how loud we were playing those things. One of his doctor clients purchased them with the associated mass of amps required to drive them. They would definitely reproduce live concert levels cleanly. The twos are more living room friendly! Please give us your take on the sound after you get them set up.

John

My friend went to look at a house a few years ago. The listing said, "music/hifi room with piano". There was a piano there, a Steinway grand piano! But the Infinity Reference Standard speakers, run by some old equipment was what hooked him on it.

The room is amazing, no parallel walls! They lied to the old guy selling the house, telling him their daughter played the piano, and sold it almost as soon as they moved in. Today, he has a 100+ inch projection screen in it, the RS's are there augmented by 2 SVS subs for movies and he's running some largish ribbon tweetered towers for his side surrounds and similar satellites. The SVS's only come on for movies, the IRS's are fine for music. His is my "ultimate set up". If I could get my system to sound 50% as good as his does, less the bass, which is out of the question, I would be thrilled. His is the only setup I've ever heard that can do Funny Cars and Top Fuel even close to realistic sounding (With the SVS's online).

To me - KLH Model Nine's. Hands down the most detailed.
Take a look at the Stereophile website. There is an article posted first written about 1968, re-printed in 1975 or '76, and posted to their website in 2006 where they say KLH Model Nines are the best speakers available.
I have a pair in my office, playing constantly. The detail is amazing!!!

Last edited:
This is my first post here. I've only just got back into hi-fi (well, mid-fi) audio in the last year. I have an older pair of Celestion DL8s that sound very good for their size and cost, but my freshly re-foamed Kef 107s sound pretty amazing in my system. I'm driving them with some very basic gear: an Adcom GFA 555ii, and a YS-Audio Symphonies pre (with some great tubes), and they throw a nice wide, deep and high sound stage, with good detail in the instruments. They do rock, jazz or classical equally well. So I guess Id have to agree with the anything 'Brit' at this stage in my experience.
But, I'd love hear some other vintage speakers sometime for comparison.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom