just did the biggest no-no ever! didn't drawer a/v on paper

jami w.

just being me thats all
i did the ultimate carnal sin the other day, i pulled the connections out from the lcd tv and my reciever.

in order to mount tv higher on the wall, because of the tall rack i have. and in order to put audio gear inside the rack.

i didn't draw out a wiring diagram to where each cable goes/or went to. and this SUCKS!!!! having only the single hdmi cable that came with my ps3 using for both gaming and for now watching movies. (no clue where the other hdmi cables are) i spent 70% of the day yesterday with the blue/yellow/ red comp plugged into tv, and on reciever inputs with no results. major annoying :mad:

since the one hdmi cable (ps3 to tv?)
i've now got to figure out connections on the back of reciever. im using dvd/ld input for signal but not working.
and i had it working before i pulled all apart to put in rack. sadly i forget how i had it hooked up and working.

Last edited:
LOL...

Sorry...couldn't help it...I feel your pain. I only had to do that to myself twice before I decided to draw it all out every time since, even for the simplest changes.

Good luck!

I tag all the cables after I get things the way I want it.

I'm seriously considering getting a P-touch, the $100 expense for a decent one hurts, but seeing how nice they tag everything in the field at work, I feel like eventually I'm going to have to bite the bullet. So much faster and neater than using zip tie wire tags and a Sharpie.

LOL...

Sorry...couldn't help it...I feel your pain. I only had to do that to myself twice before I decided to draw it all out every time since, even for the simplest changes.

Good luck!
if you look through my media pics. and some of my rack gear with 2 eq's hooked up. i always drew out a diagram, for some reason i did'nt this time.

I tag all the cables after I get things the way I want it.

I'm seriously considering getting a P-touch, the $100 expense for a decent one hurts, but seeing how nice they tag everything in the field at work, I feel like eventually I'm going to have to bite the bullet. So much faster and neater than using zip tie wire tags and a Sharpie.
once its hooked up im going to get a few tags and use a sharpie, to mark each end of cable.

I just wing it. When I was a young electrical field engineer a big deal would be replacing an oil platform’s main control panel with the Unocal and Statelands guys watching. 1-2,000 wires to terminate and a PLC to install and start-up in 32 hours straight. And to keep it interesting no shutdown. 85,000 bbls per day gross production running on my jumpers until I cut it over on the fly. Stereo, HT and house wiring comes easily by comparison.

I just wing it. When I was a young electrical field engineer a big deal would be replacing an oil platform’s main control panel with the Unocal and Statelands guys watching. 1-2,000 wires to terminate and a PLC to install and start-up in 32 hours straight. And to keep it interesting no shutdown. 85,000 bbls per day gross production running on my jumpers until I cut it over on the fly. Stereo, HT and house wiring comes easily by comparison.
it frustrates me and i get a lil agverated

That’s me when I have to deal with computer problems. I get it. Take your time and be methodical about it. An order helps. Power, speaker cables, then signals - HDMI, digital and analog last. I’m prone to mess with analog inputs as I rotate sources the most. It’s nice to have them on top.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could describe your gear and how you are trying to configure it in a bit more detail. If we know more, we can try to offer suggestions. It sounds like you're running an overly complex setup if you are talking about composite cables etc. Let's have a few pictures and model numbers and go from there.

Perhaps you could describe your gear and how you are trying to configure it in a bit more detail. If we know more, we can try to offer suggestions. It sounds like you're running an overly complex setup if you are talking about composite cables etc. Let's have a few pictures and model numbers and go from there.
Screenshot_20180517-153516.png Screenshot_20180517-153452.png

pioneer vsx 1017 reciever
ps3-movies, gaming
insignia lcd tv on wall
sadly only hdmi cable is for ps3.
ihad it all working before.

Do you have other devices to connect up too because it sounds like a hdmi from ps3 to receiver and then another hdmi from receiver to TV is all you need. Why are you messing with composite because that's not going to support the resolution you need unless it's rgb type.

Do you have other devices to connect up too because it sounds like a hdmi from ps3 to receiver and then another hdmi from receiver to TV is all you need. Why are you messing with composite because that's not going to support the resolution you need unless it's rgb type.
it explains in my opening post why i only have 1 hdmi cable.

im using compisite cables from reciever to tv- because thats all i have.
i had it working 3 days ago, with compisite cables to tv.

I have to have a diagram with this setup otherwise I'd never get it to work again...

20180402_140244_zpsa85g2uca.jpg

Back
Top Bottom