Metal case INSIDE the wood case

CavScout

I have seen some variances on both the 22xx series and the 4xxx series,

Some of them have the metal case inside the wood case and some don't.
Was there a production change at some point ?

Will the metal case ALWAYS fit in the wood case ?

I recently went to look at a 2230 and the guy sold the wood case just before I got there.
So the receiver was wide open.

I have seen some variances on both the 22xx series and the 4xxx series,

Some of them have the metal case inside the wood case and some don't.
Was there a production change at some point ?

Will the metal case ALWAYS fit in the wood case ?

I recently went to look at a 2230 and the guy sold the wood case just before I got there.
So the receiver was wide open.

I think the metal case always fits inside the wood case. I have the 2325 and 4240, and they each came with both cases together.

When I bought my 2275 new, the wood case was a separate item purchase.

They fit together.

I have a 2270 from an estate sale that came in wood and has the metal case inside.

From information in threads where this question was asked before, there is evidence that all receivers and such came with metal covers and the wood case was an optional accessory.

That's what I thought but I have encountered at least 3 original owners who had their receivers in a wood case WITHOUT the metal inner case. They always said " that's the way I bought it".
Also in all of those situations the faceplate had small screws instead of hex head bolts (suggesting early releases)

That sale of the cabinet with no metal case is the same as parting it out. To use it properly, one would need to find a cover or make one out of a nice perf plate. That would look good. There are a number of units with perf plate covers or internal covers.

My 4400 did not have a metal cover but maybe these were sold with the wood when new and they didn't want more airflow restriction.

Blue Shadow, I think you are right.
The early models ( pre 1976 ) probably came with a wood case as standard then they changed to metal with the fake wood look and the wood case as an option.

Blue Shadow, I think you are right.
The early models ( pre 1976 ) probably came with a wood case as standard then they changed to metal with the fake wood look and the wood case as an option.

My 4240 is SN# 8839 built 1-18-1974 and has both cases.

Living here in Florida, I'm always concerned about heat dissipation. So, if I have a wood cabinet, I'll remove the normal metal case. But, if I started running into RF issues, I'd probably put it back on.

I seem to remember reading that some stores would install the wood case for the customer and leave the metal case off. I know I’ve seen a 2285b in a wood case in the wild without a metal case underneath and the original owner said it came that way.

I bought a 2230 and a 2245 in 1972 (2230 got stolen). In both cases, the unit came boxed with the metal case and the WC-22 came in it’s own box. They were my first frustrating experiences with putting the receiver in the case without damaging either. Bit they definitely were sold separately. No doubt, some dealers did the installation for the customer, and it wouldn’t surprise me if some of them removed the metal cover. This was barely past the tube era and cooling was on the mind of all long-time audio enthusiasts. In my case, I just slipped the covered unit into the WC — with only minor damage. :whip:

Back
Top Bottom