When AK members - friends - silently disappear

@Shominy

I miss Shominy. Yes - I know that his last post was just two days ago. It is alarming anyway. It was such a mistake to start the milestone thread for him. It was meant as a gesture of kind affection, but the thread achieved the exact opposite.

Last edited:
He was so disappointed that only few members congratulated on his milestone. Everybody knows that he is the most busy poster at the "make me smile" thread (and busy in the gaming threads as well) and so the poor feedback triggered the decision to quit.

Yeah, I found it. Thanks, Chris. Hopefully, he'll come back soon and see the thread with the additional commentary. I have been travelling and have had only limited access to AK and so never noticed it until this morning.

For some reason I didn't see your post until the next day. I expressed my congratulations, as did many others. I certainly hope that he has not left our community. He's one of our finest members.

-Dave

Chris- you did a very nice thing, and I thanked you. Don't ever think that you are not doing a good thing when producing them. It's more than vanity and 'likes' anyway.

The Music Artists In Motion thread: dead zone- I'm the 98+% contributor.
The Mesmerizing GIFs thread- a worse dead zone; I am, for all intents and purpses, the sole contributor since what, Dec or prior?

I have no idea that anyone cares about either of them despite my hours scouring the web for these GIFs for the enjoyment of a larger group here. It's EXACTLY like playing a stadium concert with no audience response, and with everyone in hiding. Would you play those venues... anyone? You just get worn out and tired... and decide that it's not worth the effort to produce any more. Besides, the outdoors calls to me all of the time, and I've got this like-minded girl with me (who is not a silent observer).

I get far more engagement at Whiteblaze, Supertopo, MountainProject, VWVortex, and Summitpost. It seems like there is an audience with a pulse at these hiking, climbing, mountaineering, and VW forums. Please forgive my blanket statement if you are one of the 'silent purveyors', but still...

Some random thoughts...
I'm not gone, just unplugged and in thought, recovery, and re-evaluation.

Last edited:
Chris- you did a very nice thing, and I thanked you. Don't ever think that you are not doing a good thing when producing them. It's more than vanity and 'likes' anyway.

The Mesmerizing GIFs thread- a worse dead zone; I am, for all intents and purpses, the sole contributor since what, Dec or prior?

I have no idea that anyone cares about either of them despite my hours scouring the web for these GIFs for the enjoyment of a larger group here. It's EXACTLY like playing a stadium concert with no audience response, and with everyone in hiding. Would you play those venues... anyone? You just get worn out and tired... and decide that it's not worth the effort to produce any more. Besides, the outdoors calls to me all of the time, and I've got this like-minded girl with me (who is not a silent observer).

I get far more engagement at Whiteblaze, Supertopo, MountainProject, VWVortex, and Summitpost. It seems like there is an audience with a pulse at these hiking, climbing, mountaineering, and VW forums. Please forgive my blanket statement if you are one of the 'silent purveyors', but still...

Some random thoughts...
I haven't ventured into the GIF thread simply because GIF's aren't my thing. I love keeping up with what you post in "Put a Smile on Your Face" thread. I've often laughed and then shared said pictures on Facebook for my 809 friends to see. I'm sure others do the same here. Of those 809 friends, I'd assume some of those also reshare what I've shared. You are, in a simple word, a blessing. Keep up the good work!

I haven't ventured into the GIF thread simply because GIF's aren't my thing.
Same here. Actually, I avoid most video content so I haven't really been able to appreciate your work in PASOYF, either. But I certainly enjoy your text commentary and participation in the game threads. It would be a shame if you stopped posting.

......................... despite my hours scouring the web for these GIFs for the enjoyment of a larger group here.

The problem is they don't provide enjoyment for everyone. I have told you before that posting GIFs in threads causes issues for users like me on slow wireless or dial-up connections. If I want to see GIFs, I can look them up myself.

I can't count the threads I've started that get few or no responses. That's life. I've learned something, and moved on.

You can do the same.:thumbsup:

Some random thoughts...

Since I have an old phone and no computer, it is almost impossible for me to open the YouTube, gif, and such without them literally locking up my screen. It would be nice if I could participate and enjoy the posts, but not likely to happen.

Shominy, for those of us who visit AK while at work any Youtube links and Gifs are blocked, So for me there was no point in clicking on those threads. I always appreciated your contributions to the Smile thread. Take a break, enjoy Spring and come visit us whenever you get the chance. Hopefully we will all still be here. Take care.

I generally get a kick out of 99% of the stuff in the "smile" thread. I don't click "like" on everything because I hate being a "like" hog (I'm the same way on Facebook). I don't want someone having 100 notifications all from me. As I said before, the absolute bone ticklers I save to my computer and share on Facebook.

My definition of a friend is a person that you can count on, that you can reach. I've been in a lot of relationships that seemed like friendships, but as time passes on experience has shown me who my real friends are (and who are not). If someone who befriends you doesn't have the common courtesy to call you or drop a line to see how you are, then that person is not a real friend IMO. Someone like this is just a friendly acquaintance. I've lost touch with quite a few people online and in person that seemed to be nice and friendly, but not friendly enough to call you, acknowledge you or even saying a brief hello.

Experience has taught me to use the word "friend" very carefully. It is because of my past experiences that I shun from calling most people friends. Friendships can be one of the best experiences that one can have, in sharing common experiences, joy, and sometimes misfortune. A friendship is also one of the easiest relationships to start, as it usually starts with having something in common. What a friend means to me is someone that will be there when you need them. Also remember, to have friends means also that you have to be a friend to others when they may need you.

Having friends and being a friend can be one of the most challenging life experiences to have. That's one reason why I don't stress the smaller stuff; People that don't keep up with you or acknowledge you are not friends, never really were friends, and probably don't know what the word means.

Common interest and shared enthusiasm for our hobby isn't the strongest bond. I like many of the people I have met through AK but they are not friends in the sense that they would post bail or lend money.

Back
Top Bottom