Almost EVERYTHING sounds great on my VMPS frankenspeakers. How crazy is that?

audiomagnate

Addicted Member
I read all the time about how great, revealing speakers demand to be fed superb recordings to sound their best and I certainly don't disagree with that, but after a few months in their latest configuration (room position/speaker position and finalized (maybe?) fine adjustments of EQ and crossover settings on my DCX2496, I can listen to damn near anything and enjoy it. A lot! What I have a problem with is the oft stated contention that less than optimal recordings sound objectionable, or even unlistenable on the best speakers.

These are the monstrous 350 pound FF1's - that sat for years on Barter Town BTW - (purchased from awesome AKer Kurtgo) that were upgraded with six Monsoons and double Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeters per side. I took them another step with triamping with a DCX2496 and radically different crossover points and slopes (2K LR4 vs 7K 1st order on the mid to tweets and LR4 on the woofer/mid and some DSP room tuning of the woofer section with REW and my ears). Even 80's digital recordings sound really nice (I avoided them in the past because of harshness/blare/compression etc.) as does really old stuff like Billy Holiday. I still listen mostly to 24 bit, but my long idle record (yes, I still call them records) collection is getting used again and Diana Krall is getting a long needed rest. Good 24 bits sound damn near real, but everything else just sounds plain wonderful, just not as goose bump inducingly "real."

Could I have finally reached audio nirvana or am I just getting complacent in my old age? Before people start attacking my hearing, it poops out at 13 to 14K, which ain't THAT bad. It might even be time to get another 78 rig together. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Since I can't read you need to post pictures.

If I may, until the OP returns...

image.php

And a bit of history here.

There's an industry participant, at Audio Circle, that builds/modifies the dspMusik digital crossover (none mine), for VMPS use. I wonder if there's a version that would work with the VMPS Frankenspeakers? :idea:

Oh yea, I'm glad to hear the speakers are finally living up to your expectations! Nice. :thumbsup:

I know they sounded amazing a few months back - and that's before all this fine-tuning! I can only imagine how they sound now.
Maybe time for a ATL road-trip? :beerchug:

I think that the "demand" for higher grade recordings is a mental trap that audiophiles set for themselves. I can understand the temptation to favor better recordings and marvel at the great combo we've assembled, but logic says all recordings sound better on better equipment.
It would be a good thing to occasionally remind ourselves why we first reached for a volume know to begin with

The VMPS speakers I have had were wonderful performers, both pair sounding far above their price point. I'm all about horns now but if a pair of their larger models came by me at a nice price I'd have to jump.

The VMPS speakers I have had were wonderful performers, both pair sounding far above their price point. I'm all about horns now but if a pair of their larger models came by me at a nice price I'd have to jump.

I feel the same way. And there's a pair of RM-30M's just north of me! But, I've been spending a lot on toys lately (including speakers), and really don't need another pair. Want, but not need. o_O

I feel the same way. And there's a pair of RM-30M's just north of me! But, I've been spending a lot on toys lately (including speakers), and really don't need another pair. Want, but not need. o_O
Audiocircle has a pair of those listed in black for a sweet price. Wash DC is clear across the country from me. I almost bought a pair of those Monsoons in your sig, way back when they were closing them out. I got a deal on some RM1's and went that way instead.

Audiocircle has a pair of those listed in black for a sweet price. Wash DC is clear across the country from me. I almost bought a pair of those Monsoons in your sig, way back when they were closing them out. I got a deal on some RM1's and went that way instead.

I know, they are sweet. The seller even PM'd me, to see if I wanted them, before he posted about the sale in the open forum. Tempting! And now there's a pair of the biggest Monsoons, the FPF-1600's, for sale in Richmond, for about the same money as the VMPS 30's! Ugh. I hate temptation...! :D

I found that my Spika Angelus revealed things in recordings that took my attention away from the music. I’m happier with my mid-fi Wharfedale W70E’s. I can enjoy the music again.

May I know if this DCX2496 would work wonder for my vintage system: Sansui 7070, Marantz 1060, Rega Planar 3, Spendor SP 1/2?

May I know if this DCX2496 would work wonder for my vintage system: Sansui 7070, Marantz 1060, Rega Planar 3, Spendor SP 1/2?

The Behringer DCX2496 works best with speakers that can be biamped, or even tri or quad amped, depending on design. A digital input, into the 2496, is recommended too. Also, the speakers need any passive crossovers bypassed. That's how Brian Cheney, of VMPS, designed his later speakers, direct inputs to each driver, so the 2496 could filter the signal directly into multiple amps, then directly to the drivers.

You might get some audible improvement, but the time, expense and added complexity of operating your system doesn't seem worth it, at least to me. You can use the 2496 for room tuning, which can help a lot, but it takes a fair amount of work and a good measurement mic. Lastly, I'm very familiar with your speakers. They have excellent internal crossovers. IMO the most cost effective upgrade path for your system is to add a high quality subwoofer or two.

You might get some audible improvement, but the time, expense and added complexity of operating your system doesn't seem worth it, at least to me. You can use the 2496 for room tuning, which can help a lot, but it takes a fair amount of work and a good measurement mic. Lastly, I'm very familiar with your speakers. They have excellent internal crossovers. IMO the most cost effective upgrade path for your system is to add a high quality subwoofer or two.
Thank you for your valuable advice!

The Behringer DCX2496 works best with speakers that can be biamped, or even tri or quad amped, depending on design. A digital input, into the 2496, is recommended too. Also, the speakers need any passive crossovers bypassed. That's how Brian Cheney, of VMPS, designed his later speakers, direct inputs to each driver, so the 2496 could filter the signal directly into multiple amps, then directly to the drivers.
Thanks!

I'd love to come across a pair of VMPS speakers but they don't seem to in my neck of the woods without it being a major drive. When our new house is finished, I'll have a 16 x 30 upstairs audio room (man cave) for my gear...which I've dwindled down through the years. The thing that keeps me from getting the larger ones is that I don't want speakers that sound their best when positioned 4 feet from a back wall. Not to mention I would worry about having 300+ pound speakers 10 feet apart and that weight on the floor. :D

I do keep my eye out for the smaller ones like the RM2, RM30, RM40, etc. Nothing too crazy. ha. But I'll already have a pair of quite heave Klipsch Belle clones that I built late last year that are around 170lbs each. Hate to get too weighty up there. But love that ribbon sound when done right.

I'd love to come across a pair of VMPS speakers but they don't seem to in my neck of the woods without it being a major drive. When our new house is finished, I'll have a 16 x 30 upstairs audio room (man cave) for my gear...which I've dwindled down through the years. The thing that keeps me from getting the larger ones is that I don't want speakers that sound their best when positioned 4 feet from a back wall. Not to mention I would worry about having 300+ pound speakers 10 feet apart and that weight on the floor. :D

I do keep my eye out for the smaller ones like the RM2, RM30, RM40, etc. Nothing too crazy. ha. But I'll already have a pair of quite heave Klipsch Belle clones that I built late last year that are around 170lbs each. Hate to get too weighty up there. But love that ribbon sound when done right.

It's a shame you aren't East Coast based, as there is a sweet pair of RM-V60 speakers for sale in Maryland. It's the mid/high wings only. But, not a bad price, even with needing to add a sub or 2. Search eBay for a look (not mine).

It's a shame you aren't East Coast based, as there is a sweet pair of RM-V60 speakers for sale in Maryland. It's the mid/high wings only. But, not a bad price, even with needing to add a sub or 2. Search eBay for a look (not mine).
They can't weigh all that much and they use the glorious Monsoon mids and ribbon tweeters like mine...and they're rosewood! Add a few subs and you have a system that would be hard to beat at any price.

Back
Top Bottom