IRS Beta Servo Test?

dastro

Ok, I'm starting to think my new Beta's servo system isn't working. What is the best way to test it? The tap test seems to product the same results on or off.

Ok, I'm starting to think my new Beta's servo system isn't working. What is the best way to test it? The tap test seems to product the same results on or off.
Gently push the woofer in it should fight to push back to the stationary position.

Gently push the woofer in it should fight to push back to the stationary position.

Tried this, no push back in either speaker. This makes sense, I thought the bass wasn't what I expected and thought it was my room. What's the next step to try to troubleshoot the issue?

Does the low frequency level knob have any effect? I'd start with that, also the obvious stuff like checking the cables. Also, is the green Servo LED on?

Also, regarding the expected bass, the servo won't increase the amount of bass but it should make it more accurate. Not sure if that's what you meant by "bass isn't what I expected".

Does the low frequency level knob have any effect? I'd start with that, also the obvious stuff like checking the cables. Also, is the green Servo LED on?

Also, regarding the expected bass, the servo won't increase the amount of bass but it should make it more accurate. Not sure if that's what you meant by "bass isn't what I expected".

Yes, the low frequency knob has an effect. I checked the cables, LED is on. The bass doesn't seem too accurate and sometimes uneven/sloppy, but I thought that could me room nodes, etc.

I'm going to first pull the control woofers and make sure they are hooked up properly. Does anyone have a pic of correct connections or a description?

Tried this, no push back in either speaker. This makes sense, I thought the bass wasn't what I expected and thought it was my room. What's the next step to try to troubleshoot the issue?
When I auditioned a pair of betas a few years ago the guy didn't have the servo wires connected to the bass towers, the bass was boomy and twice as loud as when the servo wires were connected, with wires connected the bass was much tighter, same with my epsilons, I would try it with the wires disconnected and see if it sounds different to you, then re connect the wires and compare the sound, MAKE SURE THE SERVO AND AMPS ARE OFF WHEN DISCONNECTING WIRES.

Okay, it must be working as I just pulled the servo cables and the bass level increased dramatically and sounded boomy/bloated. So, I guess it is working but the push back and tap test don't prove much?

Okay, it must be working as I just pulled the servo cables and the bass level increased dramatically and sounded boomy/bloated. So, I guess it is working but the push back and tap test don't prove much?
I think it's working, do the push test on the woofer with the wire disconnected and then connected to see the difference in how the woofer feels when pushing it in, I did it on my epsilon and with the wires connected it just made the woofer feel stiffer or slightly harder to push in.

From what I've read, these are pretty tricky to position exactly correctly (if you haven't already read the Stereophile review, you should). It does seem as if you'll need to spend some time tuning your configuration.

the farther out into the room you can put them (assuming the room is large enough in the first place), the less the room boundary will have an effect and the cleaner the bass should be.

the farther out into the room you can put them (assuming the room is large enough in the first place), the less the room boundary will have an effect and the cleaner the bass should be.

Yes, bass will never be as good as it can be in this room. The bass towers are very sensitive to placement. Even a couple inches makes a difference. I'm still experimenting but I can't go much further into the room. I have very thick carpeting so I'm going to spike the speakers and put them on 1.5" high, spiked wood platforms to see if that will tighten up the bass.

Back
Top Bottom