Audio System and genres of Music

I pick my speakers based on genre. The ADS 910s have great bass, so they are way better for reggae and a lot of rock. But sometimes I feel the need for the sweet Magnepan sound for less bass heavy music.

Thanks for all the responses. There are alot of very interesting opinions which is all about. My system does sound good with every genre but maybe I only like like certain genre because of certain"sound" Im looking for.

Not to disparaage or promote any specific type/brand of speaker or other components, but certain things are better suited to specific types/genres of music. My Infinity Kappa 9's and Maggie 3.6R's have fairly similar frequency response ranges, but the perception of bass from a planar resonating the room vs 4 12" conventional cone woofers hitting you in the chest with a wall of sound is dramatically different.

Complete and total "accuracy" is not all it is cracked up to be. Not all recordings are created equal. Sometimes there is stuff in the recording that you don't want to hear. I listen to a lot of late 60's and 70's live rock--the energy of the artist/performance is there, but the recording quality is frequently lacking (think standing in the audience with your phone and posting to YouTube). These types of recordings sound far better on my notoriously "less than accurate" JBL L100's, but for a well-recorded classical piece, the Maggies win hands down.

Speaking of specialized audio equipment ... best bet for listening to the baseball games ...

rca-55x-working.jpg

... and here's my go to equipment for spinning shellac when I'm feeling nostalgic ...

califone-1430b.jpg

Granted, neither qualifies as an audio system in itself, but when considered as part of my audio "system" ... works for me.

Love the radio. Brings back memories of coming home from grade school and sitting in the kitchen doing homework and listening to the Lone Ranger, Sgt. Preston of the RMCP, etc.
My Califone was rescued from a dumpster behind the school district office. They tossed two, but being generous, I let the janitor have the other one.

I like a lot of different genres of music, so my systems are aimed pretty much down the middle. That said, there are certain sonic traits that I value above others, so those tend to be reflected in my equipment choices.

Thanks for all the responses. There are alot of very interesting opinions which is all about. My system does sound good with every genre but maybe I only like like certain genre because of certain"sound" Im looking for.
I think you like what you like. I no longer look for a certain sound. That sound was top 40 pop from the 50s to the 80s.
Yes I like mid level gear from the 60s and 70s that happens to be limited in it's capabilities but still quite capable. My fascination with that gear has taken me to never ending branches of new and different music. Each branch has opened up many different sound sensations.
I encourage you to do the same and broaden you music exposure. Your gear may stay the same for long periods of time but as you know the music can change with the push of a button. For free.
To answer your question. I didn't build anything. I simply stuck it together with great enthusiasm as best it would fit, then rearranged it until the sound improved to my satisfaction and I could hear the music in good detail with nice highs, lows and all in between. I don't change the receivers for different music because they all sound similar but not identical. I constantly change speakers for no reason at all and for different music because even though they're all good they all sound very different.
I never change speakers to bring out the base in rock music. If anything I cut it back and go for a faster speaker. I would say I don't listen to much rock anymore but that's not true. Most of the rock I now listen to dates back for centuries. Just most people call it something else.

Audio equipment receives, treats, amplifies and transforms sound frequency range SIGNALS, not “genres”!

Excellent quality audio equipment, having excellent quality parameters and sufficient for the required purposes, does it at an excellent level, rather good quality audio equipment does it at a rather good level, mediocre quality audio equipment does it at a mediocre level, crappy quality audio equipment does it at a crappy level.

Proved by years of choice, within the bounds of reasonable personal possibilities, and use of equipment of possibly maximum objective qualities.

And not building a system for listening to flute, another one for listening to vocals, another one for listening to concertos for piano and orchestra, another one for listening to birds singing etc. etc. etc. …
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom