Your first album

Grenadeslio

Lunatic Member
We all started somewhere, and it's a good bet our first records had a good bit of influence on our love of music now. If like me those first records are still with you even if almost unplayable anymore.

My first record purchase included three albums, I was young so my selections were not based on music content, more of "do I like the cover?", and "I get three records in this set?"

MI0002932733 (1).jpg
download (2).jpeg
download (1).jpeg

Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, purchased in the Woolworth's of our small town with my allowance savings of $4.

I was in junior high, and I was a late bloomer with music. That summer, our family went on vacation to visit cousins I hadn't seen in a few years. They were big-time into the Beatles and buying records, and I caught the bug from them. And that was the beginning of the end.

I played that record to death on my parents' big Sears console stereo. I still have that copy, although many years later I added a first pressing mono and another first pressing stereo copy.

Then, that same year, I begged my parents for Let It Be and Abbey Road for Christmas, and sure enough, they bought them for their teenaged brat. After that it was the white album from Christmas money my grandparents gave me.

I was fascinated with those records. They showed me that records could be interesting not only for their music but also for the packaging that contained the music. I pored over the covers and the inserts and the labels and even the inner groove etching, wondering how the whole process of creating an album came together. That love for the packaging stuck with me.

Last edited:
Well I can't remember what my first album was when I was a kid might have been Roy Orbison. But when I started collecting again my first album was Granfunk Railroad Greatest Hits from the thrift store in mint condition.

Well I can't remember what my first album was when I was a kid might have been Roy Orbison. But when I started collecting again my first album was Granfunk Railroad Greatest Hits from the thrift store in mint condition.
I've been trying to snag a still sealed copy of "E Pluribus Funk", did see one on eBay about 6 months ago but for $250 and that's more than I want the record lol.

I think it might have been an early Everly Brothers. I really liked the way their voices melded together. Guess in real life, they did have trouble getting along though... as bros sometimes do.

Q

I think it might have been an early Everly Brothers. I really liked the way their voices melded together. Guess in real life, they did have trouble getting along though... as bros sometimes do.

Q
My older brother hasn't spoken to me since Thanksgiving, politics were brought up............

I hear you on the "politics". Got several great buds since HS, and the one thing we do NOT discuss is this topic and the issues that come from it. Right up there with religion.

Good point!:thumbsup:

Q

Dad wasn't very impressed but it sounded great to me on his Yamaha system. YP701 with a Pickering cart. ,CR-620 and NS-690's

Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side-of-the-Moon-2017-billboard-1240-1024x1024.jpg

I hear you on the "politics". Got several great buds since HS, and the one thing we do NOT discuss is this topic and the issues that come from it. Right up there with religion.

Good point!:thumbsup:

Q
I usually avoid politics like the plague, but in a group text with my brother and my three sons my stupid brother made a racist comment, I don't like that shit, it escalated from there.

I've reached out to him but he refuses to respond. Something like this happened before and we didn't speak for 2yrs.

It really bothers me, I almost lost my brother to cancer and he's still dealing with the treatments after affects, I would hate to lose him without being able to mend bridges first.

I usually avoid politics like the plague, but in a group text with my brother and my three sons my "older" brother made a racist comment, I don't like that shit, it escalated from there.

I've reached out to him but he refuses to respond. Something like this happened before and we didn't speak for 2yrs.

Sad though. Someone in the group gets a serious ailment...and then it seems trivial in the mix. Time wasted really. Over POV's!

Q

Dad wasn't very impressed but it sounded great to me on his Yamaha system. YP701 with a Pickering cart. ,CR-620 and NS-690's

Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side-of-the-Moon-2017-billboard-1240-1024x1024.jpg
I've had this album since it's release (who doesn't have one lol?) and recently a new 180 gram copy, I also have it on SACD.

My very first album was the Beatles Second Album (1964) although I didn't get it till 1967. Albums after that is just a blur.

Beatles 2nd Album (1964).jpg

I picked up Boston self titled at about the age of 7? Got it at K-Mart and also bought myself a blank cassette. Got my older brother to record it to the cassette for me! I only had a crappy Candle all-in-one dealie , but wanted the cassette I guess?

Hope this is consistent with my other entries in these threads -- Green River by CCR, purchased in August 1969 for $3.99 at the Holiday Mart in Kailua, Hi. I think because I liked the song "Commotion" which was getting some airplay on the radio at the time. I was 8.

The Monkees
Loved Cosmos Factory . Still do .
My first 45 was a Monkees release “I'm a Believer “ I think . .99 . A fortune for me I remember bringing it home and the grooves glitterring in the sunlight in my bedroom , I thought ‘ how do they do this ‘? I was 12 .
I would tape everything from the radio because I didn't have money to buy them. I still have those cassettes and it's mesmerizing to listen to them now.
I bought all CCR ‘a 45’s though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom