I need a Jazz primer.

Use the search function for "jazz newbie" or "jazz recommendations" in the Music Forum. We have done some great work in this topic already. I will share some thoughts tomorrow but just quickly... you say clarinet spasms but you are considering Bitches Brew!?!?!? That album is the Daddy of horn madness. You must realize a couple things. The players are concerned with rhythm through notes as much as melody. Ànyhow we will point you in the right direction. Jazz is the highest plain of groove. Herbie was layin down some serious vibes in the 70s.

Introducing somebody to Miles Davis via "Bitches Brew" is kind of like introducing someone to The Beatles with "Revolution No. 9"...

I'd obviously not been able to avoid hearing The Beatles' pop hits, but coming from an industrial/noise music background, "Revolution No. 9" is the song that made me delve into their catalog.

As far as jazz, lately I've been coming to grips with the vast Sun Ra discography.

I'd obviously not been able to avoid hearing The Beatles' pop hits, but coming from an industrial/noise music background, "Revolution No. 9" is the song that made me delve into their catalog.

As far as jazz, lately I've been coming to grips with the vast Sun Ra discography.

Ha see you in 10 years lol.

OK I am back. I am going to suggest that you check out some of the really excellent artists that are kickin around today. I think somebody already suggested Medeski, Martin, & Wood. I would also seek out The Bad Plus who have been doing some really fun stuff over the years. I really, really, really like Alfa Mist who is an amazing British cat and one of my favorites right now. London has a really thriving scene at the moment. For vocals I really like Lianne Lahavas who is also a Brit.

Of course there is also Christian Scott who in my mind has been doing the most original work in jazz over the last decade. His band is untouchable and he has the prodigy flautist, Pinderhughes, who is amazing in her own right.

If you like the funk you should check out Nat Turner's - The Rebellion Sessions ~ they are hard to describe but you can easily hear the Red Clay era Hubbard influence. They aren't derivative sounding like so much of the current stable.

Start with some of that my man. If you want old stuff we can chat about that too. It's funny you mentioned Headhunters because only last week I was posting about 70's Hancock. I was stuck on Thrust for a while - and watching so many of the amazing performances on Youtube.

Sorry man, edit: I wonder if you would like Thundercat...

Last edited:
There are some great suggestions and some great music in this thread, but much of it misses what the OP has clearly stated as his entry-point preference. King Crimson is not Jazz, but I think we are closer to the mark there.

I can empathize with the OP's position, as I'm someone that was seduced through the music to move from Rock to Prog to Fusion to Straight Ahead/Bop/Modern (which is where I spend a huge chunk of my listening time these days and for the last many years).

I would suggest that you decide whether the funky side of Jazz or the more progressive/Fusion side is where you want to hang. Then choose from the lists provided here accordingly.

One group that goes both ways (Funk and Progressive Instrumental/Fusion) that I haven't seen mentioned is Brand X.
Brand X has it all (if that's your thing)-- Scorching fusion guitar, great keyboards and composition, and even connections to rock with Phil Collins guesting on drums frequently, as well as a Herbie/Headhunters connection with the great Mike Clark on an album or two as well. Also, for my money, Percy Jones eats Jaco Pastorius' lunch on electric bass.

Check out Brand X.

GJ

Nicely laid out.

Nixxuz, you already have a good start here but I totally forgot to mention
DONALD BIRD "ETHIOPIAN NIGHTS" 1972
R-3490606-1339037018-3773.jpeg.jpg

This is one of the best jazz funk records I've ever heard.

My first jazz album was Bitches Brew. I was told by a friend that "coming from a rock & roll background, you'll get it." It worked for me. Soon after, I got Coltrane's A Love Supreme. When I started listening to Miles Davis' classic late 50s output, I could hear how Bitches deconstructed the earlier jazz. But, yeah, if I were teaching a course in jazz, there is something to be said for some sort of chronological understanding. But, of course, Bitches makes a solid argument that time and space are a cosmic Mobius strip.

Cool, ain't no rules. Good for you guys. I wasn't saying that one has to approach things in any kind of a chronological order in order to get "classic jazz". Any road will take you there, as the expression goes. And the same with The Beatles! (Actually, I think George Harrison has a song about that).

Anyway, regarding my statement about Miles, I come from the place of liking Miles pre-60's work the best. However, there may be some who prefer Miles' 60's stuff, or things like "Bitches Brew", which I myself actually haven't heard in a long time. I could see Miles very easily disagreeing with my statement about him as I remember him saying that the reason he didn't want to play ballads, was because he loved to play ballads. He wanted to try different things - good for him. As for "Bitches Brew" I'd have to hear it again. "Deconstructed the earlier jazz"? I'll listen to it, to see if I can see what you mean!

Here's my two cents:

The genre is large and may be a little intimidating for a newcomer. There is a lot of great information out there to point you in the direction you want to travel.

I second Ken Burns Jazz... great information on the history of the music while focusing on some of the giants. I'd also suggest The History of Jazz by Ted Gioia and The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (I have the Ninth Edition). Both books have a staggering amount of detailed information on jazz and are fantastic resources. I really enjoy learning more about the music and artists as I listen.

The Jazz thread here on AK is amazing. It's a great place to learn a lot about the music and get wonderful recommendations from AKers with encyclopedic knowledge of the genre... it is also an opportunity to learn a lot about the many sub-genres of jazz (bebop, hard bop, cool, West Coast, fusion, etc.).

Just a few of my favorites: Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Thelonious Monk, Art Blakey and Stan Getz.

I really need to get my digital front side going again. I've been going down the analog only rabbit hole, but I have to be selective with my funds. I might have to...GASP!...buy albums instead of gear! But loving the suggestions. Now if only the SO would slow down with this whole "We have to get the house renovated so I don't go insane and murder you in your sleep!" thing...I'd have more quality listening time.

Love some of the suggestions here, I am finding things in the Funk/Jazz vein that I really enjoy.

But then I also have to wonder if some folks even read the OP?

Thanks be to @noisefreq

W5tlpZQ.png

Considered essential by many....myself included.
Added to the reissue. Recorded at the same time as Dogon Ad, but not released until 1975 on "Coon Bid'ness"
And a live version of the Art Ensemble Of Chicago's , "Funky AECO"

I really need to get my digital front side going again. I've been going down the analog only rabbit hole, but I have to be selective with my funds. I might have to...GASP!...buy albums instead of gear! But loving the suggestions. Now if only the SO would slow down with this whole "We have to get the house renovated so I don't go insane and murder you in your sleep!" thing...I'd have more quality listening time.

I completely identify with you, as I assume most do, about this plight.
Saturday, I was poised to buy a quad sansui I've had my eye on. I went down stairs to check on something and found the carpet wet where I stepped. That's not good.
Turns out my water heater died and was pouring out water onto the floor. It just so happened the cost of the water heater is around the same as the amp. Oh well.

And the age old decision...wether to buy records or equipment? I try to bounce back and forth between the two, month by month, depending what I need.
But, when a good deal comes along, sometimes you gotta jump on it.
Try explaining that to the SO.

According to Sonny Sharrock, he got a call to audition for Davis' group, went down and jammed with the guys for awhile....and then never heard back from them, only find sometime later that his guitar playing was all over Davis' new album. Apparently he never even met Miles.

Last edited:
I completely identify with you, as I assume most do, about this plight.
Saturday, I was poised to buy a quad sansui I've had my eye on. I went down stairs to check on something and found the carpet wet where I stepped. That's not good.
Turns out my water heater died and was pouring out water onto the floor. It just so happened the cost of the water heater is around the same as the amp. Oh well.

And the age old decision...wether to buy records or equipment? I try to bounce back and forth between the two, month by month, depending what I need.
But, when a good deal comes along, sometimes you gotta jump on it.
Try explaining that to the SO.
Thankfully, not a real problem. She knows my passions and lets me indulge if it IS in fact a good deal. She was fully supportive of me spontaneously buying a McIntosh C28 I happened to see sitting on a shelf at a record store we stopped into out of town. I didn't buy it, which turned out to be a good thing as it was needing service, but the fact she outright stated she had no problem with a spur of the moment $500 purchase was very nice.

Back
Top Bottom