When AK members - friends - silently disappear

When I started this thread many years ago, I had not actually the real friend in mind, the non-virtual friend. I had members in mind we have met many many times, members we appreciate. But in a lot of cases in the last years the qualities of what seperates an AK "friend" from a non-virtual friend had been almost Zero.

What I'm trying to express by using my lousy English language skills is that there have been AK members in severe trouble, sometimes in life threatening trouble and our community helped them siginificantly to overcome the crises. I had such an experience serveral times.

Real friends - sitting on their screens - just separated physically from each other.

When I started this thread many years ago, I had not actually the real friend in mind, the non-virtual friend. I had members in mind we have met many many times, members we appreciate. But in a lot of cases in the last years the qualities of what seperates an AK "friend" from a non-virtual friend had been almost Zero.

What I'm trying to express by using my lousy English language skills is that there have been AK members in severe trouble, sometimes in life threatening trouble and our community helped them siginificantly to overcome the crises. I had such an experience serveral times.

Real friends - sitting on their screens - just separated physically from each other.
Disclaimer: I'm not asking for a handout, nor am I hinting for money!

I've shared how I was injured in February due to a hit and run. I'm at the awkward stage of waiting for the medical part to be done so as to get my settlement, plus I'm trying to get my disability going, something I'm told takes a while. Times have been tough this past month with having to buy my prescriptions out of pocket (my insurance is reimbursing, but I have to wait on a check which takes a few weeks). Out of the blue, I had a virtual friend who told me she wanted to help me in buying groceries and sent me a gift card for Kroger. I've never met her in person; we met through a Christian website years ago. Yet another friend surprised me and said her and her hubby felt like they should help and are sending me a check. Then another friend sent me along information about getting rehab services paid for if the state is out of funds. It sure makes you feel good when you know people are concerned about you!

Jeez...thats very cool.

I'm just happy to get the "over-and-above" technical help that's given every day here. For free. That's people with decades of experience helping me figure out all sorts of things I would have to pay A LOT of money for. Same on AA. I had a bunch of guys over there help me figure out some problems I was having with a DIY power supply and transformer that was just amazing. Both AK and AA are fantastic in that respect. Plus any AKer always has a cold beer waiting for them in Miami Beach.

Jeez...thats very cool.

I'm just happy to get the "over-and-above" technical help that's given every day here. For free. That's people with decades of experience helping me figure out all sorts of things I would have to pay A LOT of money for. Same on AA. I had a bunch of guys over there help me figure out some problems I was having with a DIY power supply and transformer that was just amazing. Both AK and AA are fantastic in that respect. Plus any AKer always has a cold beer waiting for them in Miami Beach.
That's what I love about this place-advice. It's like having a tech on call 24-7. I actually have a tech on Facebook who can pretty well tell you what's what about any of the old stuff. His dad owned a local Radio Shack for years and he helped do the repair work. When it finally closed up in the 90's, he went to work for a factory locally and broke his back. I love seeing him out because I can get him talking about tubes or Micromatic changers. My dad sold electronic parts for about 10 years (he actually sold to that Radio Shack, so that's how I know the tech) and can still tell you some about tubes and "works in the drawer." It's nice having good folks to help!

I'm not as active now that I'm on a project but I always check in. The other day I was wondering what the heck it is that keeps me coming back. Maybe it's the thought of one day I'll meet a bunch of you guys that I have this hobby in common with. I ended a sentence with a preposition. It hurts right? lol

Back
Top Bottom