MC 452 or a pair MC2205 in Mono?

The MC2600s mythical status is warranted (I own two), as is the MC500 - both great power amps. I just sold my MC500 and the new owner is ecstatic.

Only your ears can decide which pleases you more. Obviously, it’s going to be hard to audition an amp you simply cannot find locally. Seek out the threads I and others have composed on each for some insight.

Sorry to hear about your deal falling through but you made the right choice by walking away imo. My thoughts are if you're going to go for that much of an upgrade then go for the one that you really want rather than settling for a consolation amp. Patience is the key here.

The MC2600s mythical status is warranted (I own two), as is the MC500 - both great power amps. I just sold my MC500 and the new owner is ecstatic.

Only your ears can decide which pleases you more. Obviously, it’s going to be hard to audition an amp you simply cannot find locally. Seek out the threads I and others have composed on each for some insight.

I am really sorry that I missed your MC500. I have read some of the threads on the MC2600 and MC500. Again, the age is my biggest concern. The MC452 addresses that.

Sorry to hear about your deal falling through but you made the right choice by walking away imo. My thoughts are if you're going to go for that much of an upgrade then go for the one that you really want rather than settling for a consolation amp. Patience is the key here.

In my opinion there was no choice but to walk away. I had several lengthy phone conversations with the seller last week, yet when he found the defect he did not bother to call me and allowed me to make a 10 hour trip for nothing. He felt that an E-mail to another audio forum was sufficient notice and did not bother to pick up the phone even after he did not get a response from me. (The notification went to my spam folder) In my eyes, the seller lost all credibility (and almost some teeth) when he did not make a genuine effort to notify me. He did cover most of my expenses out of pocket though.

In my opinion there was no choice but to walk away. I had several lengthy phone conversations with the seller last week, yet when he found the defect he did not bother to call me and allowed me to make a 10 hour trip for nothing. He felt that an E-mail to another audio forum was sufficient notice and did not bother to pick up the phone even after he did not get a response from me. (The notification went to my spam folder) In my eyes, the seller lost all credibility (and almost some teeth) when he did not make a genuine effort to notify me. He did cover most of my expenses out of pocket though.

I’d negotiated a significant cost reduction and got it fixed. That’s what I did on my MC1000s. Then dropped it at AC on way home. The MC452 is still in production and probably did not need that much.

I’d negotiated a significant cost reduction and got it fixed. That’s what I did on my MC1000s. Then dropped it at AC on way home. The MC452 is still in production and probably did not need that much.
I thought about it, but the owner wanted to file a warranty claim and did not have much interest in negotiating a lower price.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. Mc sure hit the ball out of the park with the MC452 - I bet they've sold five times as many as the entire runs of MC2600 & M500 combined. Really, I think you'd have to look back to the MC2500 to see another BIG stereo Mc amp with similar sales volume.

If you're patient, you could find:

A pair of MC1000s
An MC602
A pair of MC501s

There is a pair of MC2600s on the bay at present, both look to be very well cared for. You may also want to message @quartersaw and ask him about buying an MC452 from AC as he just did so.

I think for value MC2600. Just not quad balanced or MC452 SNR. The MC1000 is hard to find but overlooked and can be had reasonably. Mid range is tubish sound.

With Quartersaw's astute guidance & assistance, I worked out a great deal on a brand new MC452 from Audio Classics. I will pick it up next week as I cannot get off work tomorrow! Everything worked out well in the end. A new amp and 3 year warranty!
Good Man!! You knew what you wanted and made it happen!!
You will not regret this!!

Good Man!! You knew what you wanted and made it happen!!
You will not regret this!!
I doubt that I will have any regrets Kev. You and the other Mc experts have convinced me that the Mc452 will be a considerable upgrade from my beloved MC2205s. That, combined with the terrific deal from Audio Classics makes this a sure win!

Congratulations on the 452! I've been drooling over one of those since I first heard it a few years back at my dealer's showroom....amazing. Crank the tunes!!!!

I just heard back from Audio Classics, and they have set up a tour of the McIntosh factory for me and the Warden before we take delivery of the Mc452. It keeps getting better!!:jump:

Reactions: DC
I just heard back from Audio Classics, and they have set up a tour of the McIntosh factory for me and the Warden before we take delivery of the Mc452. It keeps getting better!!:jump:

Woot! (And "warden" - haha)

I doubt that I will have any regrets Kev. You and the other Mc experts have convinced me that the Mc452 will be a considerable upgrade from my beloved MC2205s. That, combined with the terrific deal from Audio Classics makes this a sure win!

Excellent, I trust you'll share the exciting moment with us all....:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom