Atmos now working !

91firebird

Wow cannot believe it,after doing a 2 hour update to the Yamaha v583,trying 3 different blueray players
I went the the vintage cave dug out a 3 year old Samsung d5100fxza player I was using to play cd music
Plugged it into the 583 put on mad max fury road and dam the clouds parted the display in the 583 said atmos all sever channel it up and wow I am amazed that the oldes blueray player I own works the atmos
Sound.it sounds like truhd but dam good after hours of Fing around with this problem the oldest deck I
Own done the magic.it is strange that new players rated atmos don't work but a older player not rated atmos does work

Congrats. I'm glad it's finally working. I didn't think the Atmos issue was with the Yamaha. And if you don't mind, which Blu-Ray players did you unsuccessfully try? Just curious. :)

Sony s3500,sonys3700,Samsung bdj5100,samsung bdj5700 no atmos output the old Samsung d5100 also
Reads dtsx also others do not sonynsamsung said their players players play atmos perfect just don't show
Atmos on the yamaha screen display.well I went into all the players setup screens all said truhd with atmos
Disc not one of them said antmos.so are they decoding atmos as truhd and not atmos.so that atmos is truhd
I think not but don't know for sure.they do sound different to me the atmos Samsung sounds better to me,or
Is it just in my atmos wanting brain.is not atmos a step above truhd in the sound field.

Sony s3500,sonys3700,Samsung bdj5100,samsung bdj5700...

Thanks for the info. Though, there's nothing in the specs of any of these players, stating Atmos support. So, it's not surprising that you had issues. But, there's nothing in the specs of the Samsung D5100, that says it supports Atmos either. That makes me wonder if the issue has something to do with a menu setting, on the players themselves? Regardless, everything is working, and that's what matters! And I look forward to comments on the Yamaha, and Atmos playback. I'm starting to feel that I wish my Yamaha AVR had Atmos support. :idea:

Hmmm - I have an Oppo 103D Bluray - and Oppo basically says "Let the AVR do the decoding"
From their perspective - the disc player is in pass-through mode (BITSTREAM Output on HDMI port)
Of course, my issue would be that we own a now ANCIENT (circa 2008) Integra DTC-9.8 Preamp. HDMI and all of that works - but no Atmos!

On their website, they said:
DolbyAtmos_grande.png

In the cinema, at home, and on the go, Dolby Atmos can transport you from an ordinary moment into an extraordinary experience with breathtaking, moving audio that flows all around you.
Your OPPO Blu-ray player is fully compliant with an Atmos receiver if you follow these easy steps:

CONNECTIONS

• 1. Connect your OPPO BDPx10x via HDMI to a compatible Atmos receiver.
  • 2. Select the BITSTREAM OUTPUT on your OPPO Player.
  • 2. The AV receiver does all ATMOS decoding and rendering.
  • 3. The Dolby Atmos bitstream is transported from the OPPO player to the Atmos receiver via HDMI 1.4 with full compatibility. (Dolby Atmos does not require HDMI 2.0)
  • 4. Be sure to turn off all internal decoding in the OPPO player. (Choose Bitstream out AND be sure to turn off SECONDARY AUDIO feature)
PLAYBACK

1. When an Atmos Blu-ray title is played back through a connected Atmos compatible receiver connected to Atmos speakers you will get a full Dolby Atmos playback experience.
The LCD Display on the AVR will most likely display “Dolby Atmos” or "Dolby Atmos - TrueHD”

2. When an Atmos Blu-ray title is played back through a connected Atmos compatible receiver connected to a channel based speaker layout (eg: 5.1 or 7.1) you will enjoy a channel based playback experience.
The LCD Display on the AVR will most likely display “ Dolby True-HD

Last edited:
My Yamaha v583 with kong skull island playing readout says Atmos/dthd.so it is that some recievers read atmos
As truhd.than is it the software blueray player not sending a correct audio signal to the reciever to decode it.very
Confusing the makers of bluray players need to get their S together and make it all work.so if a Sony blueray
Players says a truhd is it atmos.not the same teckno.we got dd,dts,dtsx,atmos.

91firebird, what is the configuration of your 7 speakers? Do you recall how you assigned them when you set up your v583?

Last edited:
91firebird, what is the configuration of your 7 speakers? Do you recall how you assigned them when you set up your v583?

I'm curious about that too? During set up, is YPAO smart enough to detect upward firing or ceiling mounted speakers, as Atmos speakers, or does the end user have to manually assign them as such?

Technically, ATMOS is bluray player agnostic - at least any modern player that has an HDMI out. :) The AVR should be used to decode the ATMOS over HDMI signal from the bluray player.

Technically, ATMOS is bluray player agnostic - at least any modern player that has an HDMI out. :) The AVR should be used to decode the ATMOS over HDMI signal from the bluray player.

Though, Atmos requires the player to be set to 'bitstream'. Correct?

And along those lines, does leaving the player in bitstream mode, hurt playback of other audio formats or codecs? If and when I ever go Atmos, and set the Blu-Ray to bitstream HDMI output, will that corrupt SACD or DVD-A playback? Would I manually have to switch back and forth, in the player menu, as I play different formats? Or does setting HDMI output to 'Auto' cover all of this?

Ok is the set
Subwoofer use

Amp assign presence
Front small
Center small
Surround small
Surround back none
Presence small
Layout front height
Crossover 80hz
Subwoofer phase normal
Extra bass on
Virtual cinema front off

Also players set to bitstream reset and tried the sony s3700 to bitstream,the other 2 samsungs to bitstream
Still won't decode to atmos just truhd,only only the Samsung d5100 is atmos/truhd

Amp assign presence
Presence small
Layout front height

OK thanks, it looks like you have a 5.1 setup with 2 front height speakers, and they are configured correctly.

We are all puzzled why you only get Atmos when using one of your Samsung Blu-ray players.

Of course your Yamaha Receiver is doing the processing, not the Blu-ray players; and the players themselves have nothing to do with your speaker configuration, and are only passing the encoded soundtracks to the Yamaha for processing and amplification.

As you've probably seen, in the manual for your receiver it states on page 50:

*Dolby Atmos contents are decoded as Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus in the following situations:

– Any of CINEMA DSP programs is selected.
– Neither surround back nor presence speakers are used.
– Headphones are used (2-channel playback).

Since your height speakers appear to be correctly configured, is it possible that sometimes you have selected a CINEMA DSP mode that could be overriding Atmos processing?

It is great that you got it working, but what worked does not make any sense.

I'm curious about that too? During set up, is YPAO smart enough to detect upward firing or ceiling mounted speakers, as Atmos speakers, or does the end user have to manually assign them as such?

My very new Marantz 7704 processor cannot detect these speakers on its own, you have to manually specify and assign them. Perhaps this is because there are now so many possible combinations between different height vs. ceiling vs. Atmos-enabled, 2 pair, 4 pair, 6 pair, etc., which I assume are all handled differently during processing.

Though, Atmos requires the player to be set to 'bitstream'. Correct?

And along those lines, does leaving the player in bitstream mode, hurt playback of other audio formats or codecs? If and when I ever go Atmos, and set the Blu-Ray to bitstream HDMI output, will that corrupt SACD or DVD-A playback? Would I manually have to switch back and forth, in the player menu, as I play different formats? Or does setting HDMI output to 'Auto' cover all of this?

With my Oppo 105, I just have the "HDMI Audio" setting configured as "Auto", and it switches between Blu-ray and DVD-A discs with no issues at all (I don't have any SACDs anymore). BTW when playing a DVD-A disc, the Marantz reports the input signal as "PCM", and when playing a Bluray or DVD it reports the input as "Dolby Digital" or "Dolby Atmos" or whatever, which must be being sent via bitstream.

Also players set to bitstream reset and tried the sony s3700 to bitstream,the other 2 samsungs to bitstream
Still won't decode to atmos just truhd,only only the Samsung d5100 is atmos/truhd
I'm not sure all ATMOS-capable AVRs display the word Atmos on the receiver screen. It may still be decoding ATMOS though. I'd look at the manual and explore settings. I think it's also possible that not all ATMOS encoded bluray discs will automatically use it as a default audio mode. I believe my son has found that on some bluray discs the audio settings (on the disc) need to be changed to ATMOS.

Crutchfield has pictures of the OP's AVR displaying Atmos. To the best of my knowledge, Crutchfield has always generated their own graphics, so the picture should be of a receiver in house.

Want to thank every one for all the input on the atmos matter,even Yamaha has been calling and emailing me on
The issue and they are working hard at it.i did check the manual page 50 it does state that atmos may show as
Dthd.miy Yamaha says atmos/dthd but never says just atmos as the picture on the reciever on Yamaha web site
Shows a v583 with just atmos on the display.they said they would replace the reciever if I wanted to but if it
Working right why do that.i have mission impossible rough nation on right now,the screen shows atmos/dthd.
And it does sound great.much better than my just Dolby digital dts 4 year old yamaha reciever.but back to the issue
My older Samsung d5100 shows atmos/dthd and the new Sony s3700 shows truhd and 2 other new Samsung
Players show truhd and by the manual it is reading atmos as truhd.it still is confusing the website picture shows
Atmos the store bought shows atmos/dthd.also this reciever shows dtsma on dts encoded discs.well anyway I
Will just live with it.once again thanks to everyone trying to help

Well the Yamaha problem has been put to bed,Yamaha wanted me to ship it back to them they would check it out and
Tell me what the fix would be,well,other than pay for shipping and hope for the best I packed it up back to best buy
Talked to the high end av manager.well here is the fix he gave me,I returned the open box Yamaha and he gave me for the same price a new in box denon. It is a s730h new in a sealed box.7.1 atmos truehd dtsx.and it says atmos with a atmos movie playing.the first denon av reciever I ever owned,must say it looks and works and sounds great.even has a
Big stand to put the setup mic on to auto set all the speaker levels.must say the best buy staff were very helpful.well any way I hope this is the last chapter in the av novel.

Back
Top Bottom