What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Talking to John and Chris about CSNY reminded me of a big debate I partook on another music site years ago. The topic was - Who produced the best rock bands, the USA or the UK? To cut a long story short, the final consensus was the UK was tops for bands - Led Zeppelin, Who, Kinks, etc. And the USA was tops for producing solo artists- Elvis Presley, Dylan, James Taylor, Carole King, Janis Joplin, etc. Seemed like an accurate assessment to me. Anyone have thoughts about this?

DZGrO45UMAIMGhe.jpg
Talking to John and Chris about CSNY reminded me of a big debate I partook on another music site years ago. The topic was - Who produced the best rock bands, the USA or the UK? To cut a long story short, the final consensus was the UK was tops for bands - Led Zeppelin, Who, Kinks, etc. And the USA was tops for producing solo artists- Elvis Presley, Dylan, James Taylor, Carole King, Janis Joplin, etc. Seemed like an accurate assessment to me. Anyone have thoughts about this?
Interesting debate Rob,tend to agree with that conclusion...but as to why this should be requires some thought:)Youll forgive me i hope for suggesting that these lads trump the lot:rolleyes:
Hope this offends no one.....

Interesting debate Rob,tend to agree with that conclusion...but as to why this should be requires some thought:)
Yes, I have thought about why this is and I have no logical explanation. Perhaps the British work better in teams or are less egotistical which allow for greater harmony within the band? America always had the independent, freedom of the individual ethos, so perhaps why solo performers are more prominent? Obviously there must be other factors -economic, social, environmental as well. It would make for a great Ph.D. thesis.:idea::beatnik:

Yes, I have thought about why this is and I have no logical explanation. Perhaps the British work better in teams or are less egotistical which allow for greater harmony within the band? America always had the independent, freedom of the individual ethos, so perhaps why solo performers are more prominent? Obviously there must be other factors -economic, social, environmental as well. It would make for a great Ph.D. thesis.:idea::beatnik:
Economies of scale important obviously,America a huge market and our star grooming system tiny and a pale imitation of America when R n Roll began,you had the legacy of Bing,Frank etc.....we had George Formby!!!

Economies of scale important obviously,America a huge market and our star grooming system tiny and a pale imitation of America when R n Roll began,you had the legacy of Bing,Frank etc.....we had George Formby!!!
True but it is equally impressive how the British were able to further synthesize Rock and Roll from American Blues, Soul, and Jazz and refined it in such a way that Americans could not in those early days. Think of John Mayall, Cream, etc. Interesting to ponder.

Sounds about right too me... :)

You got me thinking now Rob,that synthesis of elements.Could it be the literary culture being so similar yet so different in America and UK,or the fact we were awash with hash while America was awash with grass!
Then theres psychedelia,without which idiosyncratic British bands would not have emerged to be listened to by newly stimulated teenagers.
Deffo a juicy Phd theme there,whos going to fund one of us to research lol........?:)

716eR2OgrXL._SX425_.jpg

on iTunes (mp3).

Someone wanted a mini-review on the Creative T20 Gigaworks Series 2 speakers I recently purchased. In a nutshell, they are OK. I believe they are still breaking in and I find they sound better with the volume higher before they sound "lifelike". The mids are slightly recessed and the initial bumpiness through the Frequency Response seems to be abating with additional playtime. The tone controls are helpful while this gets worked out.

I prefer my Cambridge Sound Works PCworks speakers with their better bass (it's a 2.1 as opposed to a 2.0 system.) Also, it's just more refined through the audio spectrum (so far) than the T20s. To be fair, I got a killer deal on the CSWs as they were discontinuing them.

The T20s are doing their job and at this stage is worth the frugal price of admission and is way better than the typical PC speakers out there.

Back
Top Bottom