BIC Venturi Formula 4 recap and restoration

JayPare

I'm looking to give a second life to a pair of BIC Venturi Formula 4 that I got in a bundle with a TT and 2 stereos receiver. I read on some forums (including this one) that the first thing to do with those is to recap the crossover. Therefore, I'm wonder which on I need to replace. I'm attaching pictures of crossover itself and a sticker I found inside the speakers.

After this, I'm looking to maybe replace the tweeters as they don't look so good. I'm attaching a picture of one of them also. Maybe I can do something to them to give them a brand new look, but I don't mind replacing them is this is not possible (with someone really similar to them, I don't want to change to much the original sound of the speakers).

IMG_20180522_204257.jpg IMG_20180522_202152.jpg IMG_20180522_202109.jpg

Last edited:
I'd go ahead and replace the yellow and silver capacitors with upgrades like Audyn. And if at all possible, separate the inductor coils better. At the very least, flip middle inductor on it's edge. When inductors are oriented like yours, there can be interactions that can change the inductance of one or more coils.

Finally, if you're replacing tweeters, replace both and replace with the exact equal. Otherwise the crossover/tweeter may not function properly.

I'd go ahead and replace the yellow and silver capacitors with upgrades like Audyn. And if at all possible, separate the inductor coils better. At the very least, flip middle inductor on it's edge. When inductors are oriented like yours, there can be interactions that can change the inductance of one or more coils.

Finally, if you're replacing tweeters, replace both and replace with the exact equal. Otherwise the crossover/tweeter may not function properly.
Should I replace the coils also? And how do I separate them better. Sorry for the n00b questions. Should I also replace the thermistor?

Thanks for your help.

I would not replace the inductors, they don't usually go bad. Standing the middle one on edge is a good idea. I would probably try to replace the thermistor, if the cost is minimal.

I had those years ago. The tweeter really puts out little top end sound, most of it coming from the horn. What I did was replace it with a higher sensitivity dome tweeter, I don't remember if it was Peerless or Phillips, which was louder and was an improvement to the sound. Clumsy approach I know. Maybe you could tweek the crossover to a lower crossover point to the tweeter, and less resistance? I'm not the one to ask how though.

Parts Connexion, is out of Canada. They carry Mundorf NPE's; the E-Caps. Madisound has Bennic NPE's, which are also very good. Plus, Erse and Parts Express carry a wide range of capacitors too.

Parts Connexion, is out of Canada. They carry Mundorf NPE's; the E-Caps. Madisound has Bennic NPE's, which are also very good. Plus, Erse and Parts Express carry a wide range of capacitors too.
Do you know the one I posted earlier? It would save me all the waiting. If they are ok but more or less recommendable, I might end up up using them while waiting for the other.

Do you know the one I posted earlier? It would save me all the waiting. If they are ok but more or less recommendable, I might end up up using them while waiting for the other.

Sorry. While I looked at your link, when first posted, that's a brand of capacitor that I've not heard about. The specs seem fine, so I don't see a reason not to try them.

Play around with new caps (if you want), after you've had some time with the refurb'ed speakers. Easier to hear changes then, if you decide to upgrade later.

Sorry. While I looked at your link, when first posted, that's a brand of capacitor that I've not heard about. The specs seem fine, so I don't see a reason not to try them.

Play around with new caps (if you want), after you've had some time with the refurb'ed speakers. Easier to hear changes then, if you decide to upgrade later.
Thanks! I will go get them after work and try them tonight! :)

Ok recap is done! However, I still hear a "sshhhhh" coming from the horns even if volume is closed. Is it normal? I'm also attaching pictures of the recap. I did the two top one as others are film. I will eventually replace them too but for now it was more for a testing purpose.
IMG_20180523_210755.jpg

Last edited:
Also, tweeters seems to be fine. However, I hate their look and the brownish ring. Is there anything I can put over the brownish part or or any grill I could put over the whole tweeter? I saw some tweeters of those kind comes with a grill, but is there a way to buy the grill separately?

Also, tweeters seems to be fine. However, I hate their look and the brownish ring. Is there anything I can put over the brownish part or or any grill I could put over the whole tweeter? I saw some tweeters of those kind comes with a grill, but is there a way to buy the grill separately?
There should be a grill that covers the whole front of the speaker, that would take care of the problem with the visuals. N'est pas?

There should be a grill that covers the whole front of the speaker, that would take care of the problem with the visuals. N'est pas?
Unfortunately those speaker covers all have deteriorated with time and it's pretty much impossible to find some! I might end up doind custom covers but I kinda like the rest of the speaker look. So if I could hide that ugly brownish ring I would be happy! :)

Unfortunately those speaker covers all have deteriorated with time and it's pretty much impossible to find some! I might end up doind custom covers but I kinda like the rest of the speaker look. So if I could hide that ugly brownish ring I would be happy! :)
Maybe some paint then?

Back
Top Bottom