What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Speaking of photography. I got some nice pics today. A group of us from the neighborhood went out to Abbott's Pond Nature Center, the site of an 18th century grist mill.
The have various trails running through the woods and swamps.
The water is so clear that sun was reflecting off of the creek bottom creating this amber glow.
030.jpg

025.jpg

041.jpg

I wonder whether some of the differences between American and British rock can be explained by the uptake of television? Whatever one can say about the BBC, it has had some excellent presenters over the years, and never shied away from alternative genres, thanks to people like John Peel and Alan Freeman.

Television was adopted much earlier in the US than the UK. Perhaps this might account for “personalities” being thrust more into the limelight. In the more radio-orientated UK, the band was the focus. In extreme cases such as Yes, it could actually be difficult to pin down exactly who was in the band. I have read that Steve Howe claimed that the band was made up of the first five to turn up for practice.

There is also a difference in the naming of bands. It’s quite rare for a UK band to be named in the format “X and the Y”, but very common in the US, so the possibility of a band member breaking away as a solo act is much less likely. Of course, there are exceptions such as Sting, and Derek and the Dominoes (although this band was created specifically to allow Clapton to perform at small venues without being mobbed)

Another aspect of this is the European audience, particularly in The Netherlands and Germany, where English is the favoured language for music, giving British bands an almost captive audience.

Just a few thoughts on the matter from someone who has a foot in both camps. Canadian music seems, to me, to be more closely aligned to American than British, although that might depend on your point of view.

Speaking of photography. I got some nice pics today. A group of us from the neighborhood went out to Abbott's Pond Nature Center, the site of an 18th century grist mill.
The water is so clear that sun was reflecting off of the creek bottom creating this amber glow.
030.jpg

025.jpg

041.jpg

I hate the city... :( I cant wait for the day I get to leave the bay area. One day.

In a blues mood, have Tommy Castro going now.

Cant keep a good man down, playing off the iPod @ work.

030.jpg

025.jpg

041.jpg
Great Pics Frank! Place looks beautiful!

Well, I think my search is over for the new amp for my setup. After a lot of research and talking with y’all, especially @NeedForSpeed and @432HzBob. I decided after a conversation with Bob that going with a Kenwood Basic M1 matched with my Luxman R-113 would make a great combo. He also reccomeneded adding a Panamax M5100-EX power conditioner, which I’m going to do. The Kenwood isn’t as nice to look at as some of the others I considered, but it’s suppose to create some great sound and that’s ultimately what my goal is. Here’s a couple picks from the internet. Waiting to bid on a couple of the Kenwoods on eBay later in the week and I’ll order the Panamax at the same time.

View attachment 1194325 View attachment 1194326
Should be an excellent combo

Back
Top Bottom