What was the last movie you watched?

Red Sparrow. Here's the story line from IMDb:

"A young Russian intelligence officer is assigned to seduce a first-tour CIA agent who handles the CIA's most sensitive penetration of Russian intelligence. The two young officers collide in a charged atmosphere of trade-craft, deception, and inevitably forbidden passion that threatens not just their lives but the lives of others as well."

Sounds great, but the reality is that the story line over-sells it and sets the viewer up for a disappointment.

What you get is an over-long typical cold war era spy movie with adequate acting and thin, over-wrought plot. Considering the movie was a bloated 2:21 run time, they could of done a lot more with character development. They could have easily lopped 30 - 40 minutes off this thing without harm.... in fact, it probably would have flowed a lot better. Obligatory "twist" at the end. Wait for the DVD or stream..... it is worth watching I suppose, but not worth $10 at the theater.

Our Dancing Daughters (1928) The film that made Joan Crawford a Star, It's a silent with a sound effects track.

Joan plays the good girl, who loses her Beau to her shallow, gold digging friend Ann.

Amazingly entertaining and watchable for a 90 year old Movie, the incredible Art Deco Mansion set alone makes it worth watching.

Joan is nearly unrecognizable compared to her arched eyebrowed, square shoulder padded, slightly scary looking later self.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

whitlock-dancing-daughters.jpg

What a revolution photography and cinematography are. We can replay what happened or was archived in the past. Nude selfies excepted from this admiration.

Last edited:
"The Men Who Stare At Goats" (2009) w/ George Clooney, Ewan McGregor, Kevin Spacey, Jeff Bridges
This was definitely (for me, anyway), quite a departure from the usual, run-of-the-mill film. Take a handful of comedy, mix with a dose of New-Age mysticism, and add a few shakes of "based-on-real-life-occurrences", and what emerges is this rather strange movie.

The premise: a reporter with little to show on his resume` wants to earn a reputation, so he goes to the Middle East, but is shunned by the embedded reporters because he is such a rookie. Things change when he meets a shadowy "Psychic Warrior" (George Clooney), who tells seemingly wild tales of a "New Earth Army", which employs psychic powers, and can kill goats simply by staring at them.

Thing is, the US military actually DID dabble in this sort of stuff, dating back to the early `50s.
In the beginning of this film, there is a very brief flash, where you see an index card with the following message typed on it: "More of this is true than you would believe"
Almost like an X-Files deal....

Roman. J. Israel Esq.

An unusual movie. A fictional meditation on idealism, activism, egoism, and greed. Based on human nature. Not on real events. Denzel as usual is beyond being an actor. A movie which doesn't water down the archetypes.

fid17894.jpg

I Am Not Your Negro

There is so much about this movie that was not familiar. Of course I knew something about Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X, but I'd never heard of Medgar Evers and James Baldwin. This is about their striving.

61KFrgvLq4L._SS500.jpg

Last edited:
Golden Years (2016)...older Brits screwed out of their pensions strike back. 96min. I like most things UK so I'm biased. Not outstanding but worth a look.

I haven't seen "Charly," but I remember that Ayn Rand gave it a thumbs down.
Well, I thought it was fairly decent and worth watching.

Honestly, I don't pay any attention to what intellectuals and professional critics have to say about the movies I choose to watch. Chances are, they won't like most of them. When I want opinions, I check places like IMDB to see what other average people like me have to say.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom