Your Last Concert (or two)

My last concert July 12. 2017 Detroit MI Comerica Park METALLICA and a dream come true as i won passes for the Snake Pit right up front, was an amazing time i will never forget .. Metallica took the stage early cause they were calling for storms in the area, never rained till after concert
20170712-091652_1503062395881.jpg
20170712_205145.jpg
20170712_211105.jpg 20170712_143513.jpg

Last edited:
My last concert July 12. 2017 Detroit MI Comerica Park METALLICA and a dream come true as i won passes for the Snake Pit right up front, was an amazing time i will never forget .. Metallica took the stage early cause they were calling for storms in the area, never rained till after concert

Damn you were close. I am usually one of security guys ahead of you.

Last night saw a trio of 80s hair bands - took me back to my high school days. Autograph, Great White and Queensryche. Great show.

Those 80s shows now are hit or miss. There are two Great White shows, last one I worked we called it Not So Great White. Another one is by one of the original members Jack White. Be careful on which one you select.

Those 80s shows now are hit or miss. There are two Great White shows, last one I worked we called it Not So Great White. Another one is by one of the original members Jack White. Be careful on which one you select.

Think u mean Jack Russel, but yes I agree that it wasn’t the same without him. Really was interested to see Mark Kendall tear it up and he didn’t disappoint. The vocalist trying to fill Geoff Tate’s shoes was better than expected. Overall a great show.

Think u mean Jack Russel, but yes I agree that it wasn’t the same without him. Really was interested to see Mark Kendall tear it up and he didn’t disappoint. The vocalist trying to fill Geoff Tate’s shoes was better than expected. Overall a great show.

Yes Jack Russel, lol at the typo.

I saw Luther "Guitar Junior" Johnson with my neighbor on Saturday night. Playing with him was Otis Doncaster on blues harp. Otis is a mainstay in the NH area and has his own group, Otis and the Elevators. Johnson is 79 years old and did a two hour set. To me, there's nothing like old school Chicago blues. The club is in a small town five minutes from my house and seats 90 people. They gave out free pizza at intermission and then brought out a birthday cake for the bass player and we all sang to him. They gave a slice of cake to everyone there.

At the break, Mr. Johnson was sitting about 5 seats from me by himself. I went over and shook his hand and thanked him for all the great music he has supplied. The highlight of my night.

I saw Elephant Revival in Nashville last October.

The band was great, the venue sucked. Horrible acoustic environment and the EQ on the system was garbage.

I'm kind of over shows in bars. My favorite concert I've been to was at an old art deco theatre that had been "converted" for dedicated concert use. Row seating in the center of the room surrounded by tables at the fringes and back where you could order drinks or snacky food items. Great acoustic environment and one that encouraged the crowd to sit down and listen. The last show I saw there I was there to see Noah Gundersen, but the other acts that preceeded/followed were just awesome.

I went to see Saint Paul and the Broken Bones (if you haven't heard them do your self a favor and youtube them) about 3 months ago. Last month we saw Jason Isabel at a Hospital Benefit and also got to see the Eagles a couple of weeks earlier. In June we are going to Italy to see my daughter who is working there for the summer and will see Pearl Jam (daughter is a big fan) while there. Finally going to see Buddy Guy in July. Yes I am newly retired.

June 1, 2018, McMenamins Mission Theater, Portland OR

60's Psyc night (Nuggets night 1)

Little Flame
Sacred Trees
Black Fruit
The Hauer Things
The Mean Reds
The Von Howlers
The Shriekers
The Bugs
The Furies
Fire Nuns
Hurry Up
The Lovesores

Yup. 12 bands.

Last edited:
June 2, 2018, McMenamins Mission Theater, Portland OR

60's Psyc night (Nuggets night 2)

Little Hexes
The See You Next Tuesdays
LiquidLight
Verner Pantons
The Reverberations
The Pynnacles
Love Revisited

Last edited:
Last show I was at was Jenny Scheinman & Allison Miller's Parlour Game at the Kerrytown Concert House in Ann Arbor Michigan.

Kerrytown is my favorite place to see live music these days as it is an intimate concert house, with the emphasis on listening. No audience talking, no cell phones being held up, no bar making blender drinks, etc. One artist we recently saw said, "I am not used to this, I can actually hear myself think!"

The band included Carmen Staaf on piano, and Tony Scherr on bass, along with Jenny Scheinman playing the violin, and Allison Miller on her drums.

The music was interesting and reminiscent of Bill Brisells more Americana stuff, although I don't think Parlour jazz was a good fit for Allison Miller. She was great when playing a bit subdued, but tended to dominate most of the tunes. This group really might have worked without a drummer at all. That being said it was great to hear Allison and be close enough to point out the wingnut that she dropped while making an adjustment to her set.

Tony Scheer, long time Bill Frisell associate, was outstanding on bass.

The real surprise to both my wife and myself was the pianist Carmen Staaf. As far as I was concerned she pretty much stole the show. Will have to watch for her in the future.

IMG_1671.JPG IMG_1672.JPGIMG_1673.JPG

June 4 , 2018, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Amyl & The Sniffers
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

Sold out.

Paul Simon last night in Austin. Very good show - he has an incredible band backing him. He did most of the stuff you would expect and a few others you might not - Rene and Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After the War with strings and flute, for instance.

My wife thoroughly enjoyed her birthday gift.

He had a special guest Joel Guzman on accordion. Wonderful musician who's played with Los Super Seven, Joe Ely, and directs the University of Texas at Austin’s - Butler School of Music Tex-Mex Conjunto Ensemble.

Alan

Back
Top Bottom