Solo: a $tar War$ Movie

CT_Ohio

Saw a preview showing last night (Thursday 24th). I liked it, good origin story for Han with a few 'huh?' moments. Emilia Clarke isn't shown at all in the previews, but in a way she's the focus of the plot. And she's hot, as always. Woody Harrelson plays Woody Harrelson. Chewbacca plays Chewbacca. Donald Glover kinda plays Lando. And an old friend from the prequels shows up. It's not a huge action movie in the SW sense, so not what I would consider a fatiguing watch. Decent.

edit: Yes, there was an earlier speculation thread, which died a couple weeks ago. So now we have a viewing thread.

Saw it today with my son. He was not impressed with it but I thought it did a good job of giving you the back story. Not as action packed as some might want from a Star Wars movie.

Wait for it to come out on video/streaming.

It pretty much felt like watching a "what do you think Han's back story could be?" video made for YouTube.

I'd give it a C-, and that is being incredibly generous.

According to The Hollywood Reporter the movie is bombing, especially overseas. Just 10 million so far in China. They are crowing that it was directed by Ron Howard. That is not entirely true. He was brought in to save the movie. Howard took over directing duties when Lucasfilm fired Christopher Miller and Phil Lord over creative differences.

According to The Hollywood Reporter the movie is bombing, especially overseas. Just 10 million so far in China. They are crowing that it was directed by Ron Howard. That is not entirely true. He was brought in to save the movie. Howard took over directing duties when Lucasfilm fired Christopher Miller and Phil Lord over creative differences.

Bombing is relative... looks like $110 million domestically, 6th largest Memorial holiday open. I doubt anyone's going to lose a job over this.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/box-office-solo-a-star-wars-story-memorial-day-weekend-1202822710/

Bombing is relative... looks like $110 million domestically, 6th largest Memorial holiday open. I doubt anyone's going to lose a job over this.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/box-office-solo-a-star-wars-story-memorial-day-weekend-1202822710/

From the article (since obvs nobody read it):

Disney-Lucasfilm’s “Solo: A Star Wars Story” is flying well below forecasts, heading for a Memorial Day weekend launch of around $110 million domestically, early estimates showed Friday.

The four-day figure is significantly under the studio’s recent estimates in the $130 million to $150 million range at 4,380 North American locations. First-day grosses are coming in at about $32 million — including $14.1 million from previews, which set a Memorial Day weekend record.

From the article (since obvs nobody read it):

Disney-Lucasfilm’s “Solo: A Star Wars Story” is flying well below forecasts, heading for a Memorial Day weekend launch of around $110 million domestically, early estimates showed Friday.

The four-day figure is significantly under the studio’s recent estimates in the $130 million to $150 million range at 4,380 North American locations. First-day grosses are coming in at about $32 million — including $14.1 million from previews, which set a Memorial Day weekend record.

It has a long way to go before it hits breakeven and even further before considered a financial success.

I saw this on Saturday. I found it enjoyable but not spectacular. I enjoyed the side characters more than I enjoyed Han, but it was decent.

Well, kinda. They glossed over the whole "parsecs as a measure of time" conundrum. How it was done in an impressively short time is a plot point.
The others do give Han a funny look when he says it so I think they caught it but just chose to ignore it. I thought that scene was pretty funny.

We saw it today and enjoyed it for what it is. I was expecting it to suck but was pleasantly surprised.

I don't think it's made to be over analyzed or taken apart. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. There's a lot of tongue in cheek humor and once you view it on that level, it's really quite good. The parsec scene is a good example of that subtle humor.

OK, it's not a heavyweight, up there with the original three movies as far as iconic game changing goes but, not holding it to that standard, it's a fun movie.

Star Wars for me is the first three films, everything after that has been an uneven collection of films that I can live without ever seeing again..
True. The first three (4,5,6) were very good especially in their time. 1,2,3 were fair and filled in some good back story. Episode 7 was a lesser remake of 4 with new characters for new merchandising. Rogue One was fair but forgettable. Episode 8 just sucked. It was missing everything that originally made the original series great. If Solo is a continuation of the trend, I am out.

Star Wars for me is the first three films, everything after that has been an uneven collection of films that I can live without ever seeing again..

For me the unevenness began with Return of the Jedi.

So..... I was a lot younger when the original SW hit the theaters, and even at that point I was not interested in a movie about human looking people fighting each other in space nor a "galaxy far far away....." for that matter.

BUT once I was convinced to go SEE the movie, on the big screen, 70 mike mike... at that time. Kapow.... I was hooked and Star Wars bananas :bowdown:! At least for the next six films.

Fast forward, current day, 21st Century and having viewed dinosaurs in 3D, missions to mars and other near home explorations on my personal 5.1 Dolby Digital THX and Surround with enhanced viewing via big screen LED, in the "comfort of my home"... these new releases just don't have the same pull on me :dunno:

I suppose... in my senior years, not so quick to jump and go, and would rather enjoy a rum and coke in the comfort of the home..? Things have changed and a new 2018 Han Solo, Star Wars release just ain't the motivator :no:

Besides.... the countdown to a "stream" or DVD release begins with the release of the film (sometimes earlier :naughty: )..

Just saying... I'll watch it eventually but likely at home :smoke:

Back
Top Bottom