Which pre?

grillebilly

Empty Head
I am in the market for a McIntosh preamp to go with a MC452 amp. I have 2 turntables, 2 CD players and a cassette deck. All of my TV and DVD stuff goes through a different system.
It looks like a C47 is the match being offered new. I'm not sure I need all the bells and whistles it has, but who knows, I might in the future.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

The C47 is excellent and represents a great value at the price point. You could use the onboard DAC with your current CD players; the DAC section is really good. I also really like how the phono settings can be changed on the fly using the remote.

If I had a choice, it would be the C52, but the C47 is minimal elegant and has everything you need.... Thats why I went for the C48, has all you need and probably doesn't sound any different than a C50....
I put a vote in for the C47.

I just got the C47, after looking at a lot of McIntosh pres, the price performance was very good.... I must say the DAC has me reevaluating digial.

Or a C100, I just couldn't find one. A tip take your time for one of the three I posted.

I appreciate all the input. I contacted Audio Classics and they made a recommendation that I will probably go with. I will do a little more homework and call them back tomorrow and see if we can seal a deal.

I appreciate all the input. I contacted Audio Classics and they made a recommendation that I will probably go with. I will do a little more homework and call them back tomorrow and see if we can seal a deal.
Oooooooo, sounds interesting.....We wait with baited breath...

Once you own a pre-amp with Graphic tone controls and you play a a lot of LP's you will never go back.. A lot of LPs have a blossom around150 hz and are week below 70hz. A C48/50/52 are perfect solutions. As later pre-amps won't fit in my cabinet I use a C-34 with a MP 100, great sound. And with a digital output I can also feed my HT processor, to. All three will help you with week highs. I just wish there was a 4.0 Khz in addition when some recording are to hard sounding. But then thats Why I also have a 12 band graphic EQ connected to the C-34.

I have tone controls and had an equalizer in my current system and never use them. The 452 has the meters, so having another set seems like a waste. Records are still #1 in my house, but not as much as just a couple years ago. I'm enjoying CD's more than ever now, and it's tough to beat the price on them.
I used to have an EQ and a reverb amp, speakers everywhere, they were fun, but I've gone the other direction. Simple and stripped down.

I have tone controls and had an equalizer in my current system and never use them. The 452 has the meters, so having another set seems like a waste. Records are still #1 in my house, but not as much as just a couple years ago. I'm enjoying CD's more than ever now, and it's tough to beat the price on them.
I used to have an EQ and a reverb amp, speakers everywhere, they were fun, but I've gone the other direction. Simple and stripped down.
I never use the tone controls on my C48, I have about 4 custom EQ curves in the MEN220 which I never use, when the system is balanced properly I find I use tome controls less and less.....

Just got off the phone with Steve from Audio Classics. Ordered the C47. It has everything I need and he said it's the perfect match for the 452, and there are fancier models, but if I don't need an EQ or tone controls than chances are I wouldn't be able to hear much of a difference.
He is sending cables with it so maybe this weekend I will be able to do a switch.

Back
Top Bottom