Pioneer TX-9500 troubleshooting

brillcat

Just picked up a very clean example. cosmetically that is. It powers on but I get no audio output when tuning the dial, from either the fixed or variable RCA jacks. I have checked the obvious, starting with hooking up a known good tuner. So the cabling and amp are not suspect. The fuse on the back is not blown, which I assume would leave me with a totally dead unit. Any suggestions on where to start? I am handy with screwdrivers and Deoxit and have a multimeter. Oh and the meters... No movement at all when I turn the tuning knob. The signal strength meter is zeroed and the tuning meter is centered.

Last edited:
Great thread dr*audio. The tuning section is covered and so it looks super clean inside. Still I will get some compressed air and fader lube for the contact points (the grease looks pretty dry). When you said "power supply voltages" did you mean the power to the tuning section?

Great thread dr*audio. The tuning section is covered and so it looks super clean inside. Still I will get some compressed air and fader lube for the contact points (the grease looks pretty dry). When you said "power supply voltages" did you mean the power to the tuning section?
You will need non residue contact cleaner for the contact points.
Yes, check the power supply voltages to the tuner front end and the IF section.

I found some CRC non-residue electrical cleaner locally but my understanding is I then need to lube the contact area with faderlube, yes? ( I need to order that from Amazon.)

I found some CRC non-residue electrical cleaner locally but my understanding is I then need to lube the contact area with faderlube, yes? ( I need to order that from Amazon.)
Yes, Faderlube, just a drop or 2 on each contact.

Update: I cleaned the tuning cap as suggested, which looked super clean to begin with... but still no FM signal. The tuner section was not getting power and this was as far as I could take it with my limited skills. Fortunately a neighborhood audio buff suggested Geoff Bourquin at Northwest Electronics in Sequim, about 30 minutes away. He found the problem right away, I believe he said a cooked part (transistor?) and replaced it, also added a small heat sink to help dissipate heat. He checked out the tuner and ran it all day, no other problems. Very reasonable charge and I got it back today, hooked it all up and it sounds fantastic. I cannot tell you how good it is to have someone with tech skills nearby on the Olympic Peninsula -- thanks Geoff!

I have a Pioneer TX 9500 that works but I get random crackling noise only when set on fm stereo and mono. Not on AM.

It sounds like a bad connection but only on fm, Am and test tone are fine. I will try again later to see if it persists.

First clean the selector switch. Then clean the tuning cap with a non residue contact cleaner as per instructions in the above thread.

Back
Top Bottom