refurbishing my PB...

Dan ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Peanut Head
In 2004, I built my version of a Precision Bass, calling it a Pro Bass. I used basswood for the body and a hard rock maple neck...all from slabs...the neck even had a paddle head! I painted it to match my then, Chevy S-10 (it now matches my Ford Focus SE). I used Quarter Pounder pickups in it. I sold it a few years later and it went on tour with The Shindiggers. I recently got it back....and it was a little worse for wear. Touched up the paint....waxed the body and sanded the neck and applied three coats of Tru-Oil to it. Its a great,, bouncy bass and I'm fairly happy with how it turned out...

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• 100_0173.JPG
    100_0173.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_0174.JPG
    100_0174.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_0175.JPG
    100_0175.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_0176.JPG
    100_0176.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 100_0177.JPG
    100_0177.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
After refurbishing it...I put this old girl away. Today was a rainy Memorial Day....so I decided to pull it out to play around on it a bit.
It currently has roundwounds on it (don't ask what kind)...am thinking about putting flats on it for awhile. But as it is...it's bright and bouncy!

After refurbishing it...I put this old girl away. Today was a rainy Memorial Day....so I decided to pull it out to play around on it a bit.
It currently has roundwounds on it (don't ask what kind)...am thinking about putting flats on it for awhile. But as it is...it's bright and bouncy!

Have you tried the GHS Pressure Wound strings? I hate round wounds and I hate flat wounds, but Pressure Wound GHS strings are the perfect in-between. They're all I've used for the past 30-years.

Have you tried the GHS Pressure Wound strings? I hate round wounds and I hate flat wounds, but Pressure Wound GHS strings are the perfect in-between. They're all I've used for the past 30-years.
Will have to give those a try. I love how flats feel and are easy to play...but hate their dull flat tone. Rounds sound bright...sometimes too much so...but hate how they feel.

Beautiful Pacific Blue. Open-gear tuners and everything. Very nice.

Thanks for the tip. My sissy fingers can't play rounds.

Beautiful Pacific Blue. Open-gear tuners and everything. Very nice.

Thanks for the tip. My sissy fingers can't play rounds.

I hear ya there. Also, I just don't like the tone I get from round wounds, plus I hate the squeeks. A great bass player I worked with years ago turned me on to them in the mid-80s. Been using them ever since. Another big plus is that they don't wear your frets down - this is important to me, as my main bass is a '67 Jazz Bass with the original frets.

Tried a different cap...it's a "paper in oil" type by Emerson. It's suppose to sound "sweeter" or better....I dunno…

index.php

Attachments

• 100_0250.JPG
    100_0250.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 46
Missed this thread first time 'round. Excellent build, Dan.

As for roundwound strings, I love 'em and that's what I've preferred on all of my geetars since the '70s. Flatwound strings always lacked life to my ears. Or so it sounded to me.

Maybe I'm the only geetar player who still uses roundwound strings in the 2010s?

Missed this thread first time 'round. Excellent build, Dan.

As for roundwound strings, I love 'em and that's what I've preferred on all of my geetars since the '70s. Flatwound strings always lacked life to my ears. Or so it sounded to me.

Maybe I'm the only geetar player who still uses roundwound strings in the 2010s?

Almost all guitar players use roundwound strings these days. Bass players are more likely to entertain the possibility of flat-wound or
nylon tape-wound strings.

Almost all guitar players use roundwound strings these days. Bass players are more likely to entertain the possibility of flat-wound or
nylon tape-wound strings.

Nylon-tape wound... can't even imagine what that'd feel like @ the finger tips.

They're cool. Feel a lot like flatwound. Closest thing for guitarist would be those coated guitar strings people were using a few years back ( I forget the name). I found those disgusting.

:idea:Here's my analogy on tone caps, if anyone cares.:D
Years ago I picked up a little tube amp to use with my Korg Pandora. Just replacing the first ceramic cap in the input with an Orange drop made a HUGE difference.
Now you might say, well the tone cap isn't in the signal path so how would it affect anything? I think of it this way: in a distortion pedal the diodes aren't in the signal path either.
Yet by clipping the top of the signal they affect the signal going to the amp so ragged sounding ceramic cap vs. a smooth PIO cap should make a difference.
It might be a very small one that only you notice but from my previous experiences I know it's there.
Think of it as a birthday cake. Use a sharp knife to cut a slice you get a clean slice and a clean cake with a slice missing.
Now let a one year grab a chunk from that cake instead and see what you got.

Last edited:
Recently, a bass playing friend, who was familiar with my bass and it's sound....played on it and he SWORE he could tell a difference on how the tone pot responded to it's roll off and he felt the whole tonal balance was better. So, there ya go. As for me... :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom