Who here owns their ultimate/dream/"grail" turntable and what is it?

my dream combo is a pioneer plc-590 and pa-5000 tonearm.im very happy!

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

That is one cool-looking table. So many buttons and that display.

I love my Thorens TD124 and doubt if I'll ever stray to something else. View attachment 1198308

Even so, my eye still wanders. I've always lusted after a Nakamichi Dragon Turntable and would love to have one - with the foreknowledge that its reported finicky nature would probably send me back to the rock-solid Thorens in short order.

I imagine that would be finicky table. I am learning first-hand about how stuffing a bunch of technology into a turntable can later cause problems. I still love my PS-X800, but I am not looking forward to nightmare of getting it serviced. It's worth it because I believe it is a great table, but still.

Not really sure of your "Grail" perspective as your criteria is so open-ended.

If you mean rugged, and withstands daily use without any sort of maintenance, or can be measured in some way it is clearly doing better than other upper enders, this might what you are alluding to? Or maybe an astronomic price attached to the TT?

Only one of the variables could be applied to a Sony PS-X600 which I think is one model below yours that I have. There's been little or no problems with it, and this is after two major moves enduring decades of heavy use. However, I did notice the other day it was just starting to have a mind of its own, and wouldn't return from that loop track in the middle of the record. I suspect dried lube to be causing this and intend to check it out in the near future.

A "Grail"...hmmm, one of a kind?

Q

"Grail" as in the "Holy Grail" the turntable you've been questing for and finally arrived at after many trials. Everyone has different aspirations. I'm intrigued by $100,000 tables, but I wouldn't dedicate my time to purchasing one even if I had money (unless I had such stupid amounts of disposable income that $100,000 would be a trivial amount).

"Grail" as in the "Holy Grail" the turntable you've been questing for and finally arrived at after many trials. Everyone has different aspirations. I'm intrigued by $100,000 tables, but I wouldn't dedicate my time to purchasing one even if I had money (unless I had such stupid amounts of disposable income that $100,000 would be a trivial amount).

That is what the guy who just purchased a cheap Crosley would have to say about your Sony. :)

Hmmm...

I have a Dual 1219 I have done tons of work to that seems to be my end point, but only because I need 78RPM and the ability to stack. Nothing new (well, almost nothing) has those features.

My ‘holy grail’ turntable is in my lounge and is a Nakamichi TX-1000.

In 20 years of looking out for one, this was the first one I ever saw for sale and it coincided with my father passing away and some money coming to me from him. I didn’t need to think twice about buying it. It is genuinely the best turntable I have ever heard, and I’ve heard a few!

My father liked his hi-fi and in one ear I can hear him admiring it. In the other I can hear him saying “You wasted HOW much of my money on a bl**dy turntable??!!”

As an aside, at the risk of showing off, I also have a Nakamichi Dragon CT, an Aiwa LP-3000, a Sony PS-X9 and PS-B80, a Pioneer PL-L1 and a Yamaha GT-2000. Well, you did ask.... :D

I don't own my 'dream' turntable although I don't really know if I have one dream turntable...

I'm a big fan of Japanese Direct Drive machines and would love to own one of the 80s juggernauts i.e. Yamaha GT-2000X, Kenwood L-07D, Sony PS-X9, Pioneer Exclusive P3 etc. Although given Technics has now resurrected their juggernaut, I suppose my dream table now would be an SL-1000R or SP-10R with nice tonearm & plinth :)
Don't forget the JVC TT-101.

IMG_7973.JPG

2975B113-592A-412D-97E2-E46698AE8829.jpeg I was lucky enough to have one of my grail tables present itself at the right time and place . My Custom Marc Morin modded AR XA.

Like @4-2-7 said though it has taken me owning many tables to find out that this AR XA would be one of the ones I will never part with and I still have a couple more on my list that I hope to own, however the XA will forever be with me .

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
Bought this one new in the '80's and never felt the need to replace it, so I suppose that would make it my grail table by default?

dpec10done.jpg

For those who might not recognize if (and I expect there's a lot of you as it's apparently quite rare), it's a Mitsubishi DP-EC10.

dpec10auto.jpg

Completely restored a few years back and still spinning regularly ...

I wouldn't say I've ever had just one "grail". I've slobbered over a number of cool-looking turntables over the years, many of the linear trackers like the Yamaha PX-series, the Pioneer PL-L series, the Harman-Kardon Rabcos, etc. I did recently score an example of the Rabco ST-4, which I considered a pivotal (pun unintended) find for me, though I'm not sure if it truly counts as a "grail". It's definitely a very cool turntable, though, even if it's probably gonna need a lot of work to fix up.
rabco3.jpg

One turntable I have which I definitely consider to be one of my 'grails' is a Bang & Olufsen Beogram 8000. After acquiring my first Beogram (I've had several), I looked for info on B&O's turntable models, and was very intrigued by the early linear-tracking models like the Beogram 4000 and the Beogram 8000. While I'm not sure I'll ever find a 4000 (they weren't directly sold in the US, AFAIK), I do have an example of the later Beogram 4002 which I found at an antique radio swapmeet, of all places, for $5. :D

As for the Beogram 8000, I did manage to luck into one several years ago at the MIT Swapfest for $100; I later found a second one, in non-working shape, on eBay for a BIN price of $30 (pick-up only), which will likely serve as a parts unit for the first one. The one pictured below currently needs some work, but once it's fixed up, it will return to my office system ASAP. :music:
bg8000_running.jpg

My ‘holy grail’ turntable is in my lounge and is a Nakamichi TX-1000.

In 20 years of looking out for one, this was the first one I ever saw for sale and it coincided with my father passing away and some money coming to me from him. I didn’t need to think twice about buying it. It is genuinely the best turntable I have ever heard, and I’ve heard a few!

My father liked his hi-fi and in one ear I can hear him admiring it. In the other I can hear him saying “You wasted HOW much of my money on a bl**dy turntable??!!”

As an aside, at the risk of showing off, I also have a Nakamichi Dragon CT, an Aiwa LP-3000, a Sony PS-X9 and PS-B80, a Pioneer PL-L1 and a Yamaha GT-2000. Well, you did ask.... :D

You and @JP have a truly enviable collection of turntables. Bravo sirs!

(scurries off to look up the Aiwa and Pioneer to see what they look like) :)

Where do you start and stop here. I have a grail linear. Grail idler. Grail import and domestic. Grail T4P etc. Some were TOTL and others were grail because of the incredibly found memories they provide. What's cool is everyone has a grail table here. To me the true grail table is as 4-2-7 alluded to. One you are chasing or one that stops you from chasing.

My DP-80 with Reed tonearm is getting close. Falls short of grail status because of the stock Denon plinth. A custom plinth in a nice hardwood such as Rosewood, with an anodized aluminum armboard, that's the dream. Tried Googling custom turntable plinths but not a lot of hits. There's Woodsong Audio, but they declined.

My Yamaha PX-3. Picked it up at a local estate sale and haven't looked at any other turntable since. The only thing that was missing were the hinges for the dust cover, so I've been looking for a set of those for a while. Absolutely awesome sound from this table, no need to upgrade.

Dual 1019 was the holy grail I bought new as a teenager. In college I traded up to a Thorens TD-125 that I bought new. I still own and use the TD-125 as my primary table, but I have since re-acquired a 1019 as a companion. Both are satisfying in many ways and a joy to use, although I would be tempted to try 4-2-7's Sota for a spin!

Ray K

Count me in as another happy TD-125 owner, in my case a Mk.II with Shure V15 Type III. Also own a TD-160 with same cartridge. Have many other tables and these are my favourites, although I still grieve over the AR-XA I sold, lo, these many years ago. (loud lamentations and much gnashing of teeth).

Back
Top Bottom