advice on new audio system

Metzu

hi guys,so i got a pair of cambridge audio aero 6,after i watch several reviews i dindt have much money to spend,coming from a technics SB-lx50 i tough it will be a great diffrence...i dont like like the sound of them theres zero bass and the mid highs are too shinny,mi amp its a technics SA-GX130,if i plug them to a marantz 2252 wil they sound better?(more volume+more bass)should i part with them for another set of speakers?should i get another amp besides the marantz 2252 im looking to buy?

thank you all!

Nick.
Buenos Aires Argentina

Attachments

• 20180522_214737.jpg
    20180522_214737.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 55
I don't think there will be much difference between the Technics amp and the Marantz.
How long have you had the Cambridge speakers?

Any idea how many hours?
At what levels were you listening?
Speakers brand new or used?
Have you checked to make sure they are wired correctly?

First, be sure that you have the speakers in phase. Secondly, the room itself has a huge effect on how speakers sound. You may want to try some different locations in search of better results.

Good luck!

thxs guys they are brand new im used to the deep bass of the technics but this new speakers should be way better...im also looking for a a better amp

Last edited:
thxs guys they are brand new im used to the deep bass of the technics but this new speakers should be way better...

New speakers take 50 - 100 hrs to break-in, the bass should improve and the tweeter mellow out. That said, speaker location has a huge influence on bass output.

And as already mentioned, make absolutely sure the speakers are wired in phase, if not the bass will cancel out sounding very thin.

Based on their design, I would have guessed that the Cambridge speakers would have a lot of low end emphasis. As suggested above, have you verified that the speakers are connected properly? If polarity is wrong, they will not sound good, and bass can be significantly reduced.

If wired correctly, and assuming that all four woofers are in working order, it just boils down to you preferring the sound of the Technics speakers over the Cambridge.

Better amps can certainly improve the performance of one's speakers, but I would not expect any improvement in amps to make a dramatic difference with how either pair of your speakers sound.

Between your Technics amp and the 2252, the Marantz is a better amp (assuming good working condition)....but again, I don't think one vs the other is going to make your speakers sound significantly better.

Either will be fine. However, if you are looking towards moving up the ladder a bit over time, it's a good idea to start with a good amp...something with enough power to drive a wide range of speakers, and do it well. Then you can try different speakers with the assurance that what you are hearing is mostly the sound of the source component and your speakers (a good amp has no characteristic sound).

Get a good amp, and then work your way through speakers until you find a pair that makes you happy. If you are happy now, stop!

thank you spark the speakers are conected red wire on red wire and black on black,...please enlight me over a good amp.

let me elaborate,i have this old SBLX50 technics speakers and i wanted to get something better so after reading reviews(mostly the review on "what hifi") about the cambridge aero 6,i get them what i feel its that they sound too "digital" so now i dont know where to go from here.i mostly listen to records i have like 100 vinyls mostly 1980 1970s,my amp its far from great or even from good its a technics sa-gx130 i think its 40 watts per channel but i cant be sure.

Last edited:
Well, the Cambridge speakers are rated to 30hz, that's pretty good, what Technics speakers are you comparing them with? Model numbers and pics of the Technics speakers might help. It could just be Kabuki speakers are more to your liking?

But as mentioned before, if still brand new they may need more time for break-in. My new Jamos a little over 50 hrs, my recently refoamed vintage AR's well over 100 to completely settle in, so............

Last edited:
thank you spark the speakers are conected red wire on red wire and black on black,...please enlight me over a good amp.

let me elaborate,i have this old SBLX50 technics speakers and i wanted to get something better so after reading reviews(mostly the review on "what hifi") about the cambridge aero 6,i get them what i feel its that they sound too "digital" so now i dont know where to go from here.i mostly listen to records i have like 100 vinyls mostly 1980 1970s,my amp its far from great or even from good its a technics sa-gx130 i think its 40 watts per channel but i cant be sure.
Your manual gives a running in process (quoted below) to help the speakers sound their best. Have you had time to do this yet?

"To improve the sound of your speakers, perform a ‘running in’ process. Position the speakers facing each other, wire one speaker out of phase, and run for 36 hours."

If that doesn't, or hasn't, taken care of the issue, you might want to consult your local dealer. From your original post, I'm assuming you did not buy the speakers from a local dealer after auditioning them. If you did, and they sounded good to you in the shop, let them help you get that same satisfaction at home. If you didn't get them from a shop, then I would recommend contacting one for help before spending money on an amplifier. Shops that I've both patronized and worked in have been happy to let customers bring in their own gear to try out different options for improvement, and can even arrange for in-home demonstrations to ensure that potential purchases will work well at home, too. If your new speakers don't sound good to you at the shop, with any of the amplifiers they have to demonstrate to you, then maybe the Aero 6 speakers just aren't your cup of tea.

Are they ported speakers? If so check and see if they are stuffed with something from the factory.

They come with a foam bung to reduce bass when mounted close to a wall...

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio....01470392/Aero_2_Aero_6_Installation_Guide.pdf

Also check that the cables are connected correctly at the amp end...

how its to wire a speaker out of phase?the 36 hours run its uninterrupted?or is it a sum of 36 hours? how close to each oth

Based on their design, I would have guessed that the Cambridge speakers would have a lot of low end emphasis. As suggested above, have you verified that the speakers are connected properly? If polarity is wrong, they will not sound good, and bass can be significantly reduced.

If wired correctly, and assuming that all four woofers are in working order, it just boils down to you preferring the sound of the Technics speakers over the Cambridge.

Better amps can certainly improve the performance of one's speakers, but I would not expect any improvement in amps to make a dramatic difference with how either pair of your speakers sound.

Between your Technics amp and the 2252, the Marantz is a better amp (assuming good working condition)....but again, I don't think one vs the other is going to make your speakers sound significantly better.

Either will be fine. However, if you are looking towards moving up the ladder a bit over time, it's a good idea to start with a good amp...something with enough power to drive a wide range of speakers, and do it well. Then you can try different speakers with the assurance that what you are hearing is mostly the sound of the source component and your speakers (a good amp has no characteristic sound).

Get a good amp, and then work your way through speakers until you find a pair that makes you happy. If you are happy now, stop!

wich amp its to recommend?

Well, the Cambridge speakers are rated to 30hz, that's pretty good, what Technics speakers are you comparing them with? Model numbers and pics of the Technics speakers might help. It could just be Kabuki speakers are more to your liking?

But as mentioned before, if still brand new they may need more time for break-in. My new Jamos a little over 50 hrs, my recently refoamed vintage AR's well over 100 to completely settle in, so............

technics SB LX50

Your manual gives a running in process (quoted below) to help the speakers sound their best. Have you had time to do this yet?

"To improve the sound of your speakers, perform a ‘running in’ process. Position the speakers facing each other, wire one speaker out of phase, and run for 36 hours."

If that doesn't, or hasn't, taken care of the issue, you might want to consult your local dealer. From your original post, I'm assuming you did not buy the speakers from a local dealer after auditioning them. If you did, and they sounded good to you in the shop, let them help you get that same satisfaction at home. If you didn't get them from a shop, then I would recommend contacting one for help before spending money on an amplifier. Shops that I've both patronized and worked in have been happy to let customers bring in their own gear to try out different options for improvement, and can even arrange for in-home demonstrations to ensure that potential purchases will work well at home, too. If your new speakers don't sound good to you at the shop, with any of the amplifiers they have to demonstrate to you, then maybe the Aero 6 speakers just aren't your cup of tea.

They come with a foam bung to reduce bass when mounted close to a wall...

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio....01470392/Aero_2_Aero_6_Installation_Guide.pdf

Also check that the cables are connected correctly at the amp end...

i did remove the cilindrical foam

OK, what I found on the Technics speakers. From the specs and reviews the "bass" these speakers are producing is a bit overblown and muddy, most likely tilted up in the upper bass range.

Don't expect your new speakers to sound like the Techs, once properly broken-in will exhibit deeper and much more controlled lifelike bass that actually sounds like music not just LOUD. Your new speakers are far superior to the Technics, give them some time.

Here are just the specs, notice no mention of any parameters on the frequency response.

Screenshot_2018-05-29-15-14-28.png

One more thing, speaker placement makes a HUGE difference, just because one spot works for the Technics speakers doesn't mean it will for others. For instance, the woofer on the Technics is much closer to the floor for more bass reinforcement with clarity suffering.

Experimentation is the key here. Could you post some pics of your room setup, maybe we can help.

20180522_212455.png poster_onceuponatimeinthewest.jpg 20180522_230846.png poster_onceuponatimeinthewest.jpg 20180522_230846.png 20180522_212455.png
One more thing, speaker placement makes a HUGE difference, just because one spot works for the Technics speakers doesn't mean it will for others. For instance, the woofer on the Technics is much closer to the floor for more bass reinforcement with clarity suffering.

Experimentation is the key here. Could you post some pics of your room setup, maybe we can help.

Last edited:
how its to wire a speaker out of phase?the 36 hours run its uninterrupted?or is it a sum of 36 hours? how close to each oth

Speakers should be in phase when both are connected to their respective channels (Left, Right) with red to red, black-to-black at both the amp end and the speaker end. Reverse just one connection at either end (of either channel, but not both), and the speakers are out of phase,, which means when the left speaker's woofer is moving forward, the right one's woofer is moving the opposite direction. Putting the speakers face to face a few inches apart kills the bass so badly it is an eye-opening experience the first time experienced, try it. The effect is noticeable even if they aren't that close. Since your complaint is inadequate bass, everyone asked about phase for this reason.

The higher frequencies get 'phasey' too. They lose imaging and sound amorphous and non-directional when speakers are out of phase.

Positioning in the room makes or breaks bass, too, as some have noted. It is a matter of distance from walls, floor and ceiling - called boundary reinforcement - so don't discount out-of-hand the idea that positioning may be part of the issue. It makes a major contribution.

And break-in for new speakers can also make a significant contribution. New cones take a few hours to loosen up. You should reserve judgement until they've broken in. Playing them out of phase facing each other can hurry break-in time. Some speakers need more than others.

If you still don't like them after ensuring phase, room placement and some break-in time, then the question may become whether you can return them, possibly to exchange for a different brand or model. Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom