Infinity RSIIIB score, question.

macaltec

Metal Master
Snagged a pair of these this past weekend. They need foam (I happen to have some new foams). One tweeter has a sliver of ribbon sticking out of the frame (see pic). Cant imagine how this could happen. Is this the kind of thing that will have me searching for a replacement?
20180529_202453.jpg 20180529_202425.jpg

I'd be surprised if that tweeter even works. Even if it does, it's probably because two lines of the voice coil are shorted together. I'd look for a replacement, you should be able to find one on eBay for under $40.

Yeah, its dead. Put an ohm meter on it and got nothing. Pulled the diaphragm out. Seems I remember jearing about a way to fix these???

You can fix small breaks, but in the case where an entire trace has peeled away (actually, it looks like the trace next to the break is also peeling), IMO you're better off just replacing it.

Or exchange a known good diaphragm for that bad one.
Round EMITs are always available on ebay.

Nice speakers, I’ve fixed a few emits with broken traces with the rear window defogger fix it kit. It always raised the impedance a good deal say to 7-11 ohm when they should be closer to 3-5 ohm. This makes them play a little softer then they should. Far better than no sound at all though...
Jim

I noticed that too. I found the info about fixing. Seems I was in on the thread when it got started, I have forgotten so much. Found this pen at PE www.parts-express.com/caig-circuitwriter-cw100p-pen-7-ml--341-236. I may give it a go. I have a couple other EMITS kicking around that have been needing to be fixed. A new to me tweeter may be easier though. Definitely more convenient.
Using that could have the exact opposite effect of the defroster paint commonly used. Defroster paint typically has a higher resistance than the traces, but the circuit trace fluid may have a lower resistance. Probably won't be as dramatic a change, though.

Just checked the reviews on Amazon, that Circuitwriter stuff may not be precise enough for the EMIT traces.

Using that could have the exact opposite effect of the defroster paint commonly used. Defroster paint typically has a higher resistance than the traces, but the circuit trace fluid may have a lower resistance. Probably won't be as dramatic a change, though.

Just checked the reviews on Amazon, that Circuitwriter stuff may not be precise enough for the EMIT traces.

I may just skip the repair and put the money toward a new EMIT. I have a few I can "borrow" (although older, RS 1.5) until the right deal comes along for a proper replacement.

My next obstacle is the foam around the tweeter and mid-range. What is there is getting messy. What is the preferred and acceptable replacement. I have seen foam mentioned (with a link) and I have seen it mentioned that the carpet typically found/used on car sub-woofer boxes also works well. What do you all think?

I'm not much help here, yesterday I had to make a trip to gunsmith. Next door is an upholstery shop, I noticed the dumpster was full of scraps, foam of all types including some that looked liked what's used on the RS models. I made a mental note. Might be a possibility for you.

I got them going. All new foam installed. Had to steal both tweeters from my very beat and worn out RS 1.5s. Very impressive so far, but then I am of a mind that I never met an Infinity with an EMIT tweeter that I didnt like. Driving them with an H/K Citation 19 and Marantz 2285 as the pre. I have another 19 and can run one per channel or I can dig out my Crown amps. Both will have to wait until the weekend. Pic sucks but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 20180531_212130.jpg
    20180531_212130.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 42
Replace the tweeter. Don;t take the chance.
Ribbons blew on my RS6's, shorted an took out my Luxman receiver.
Tweeter since replaced. The Luxman is still waiting repairs.

Replace the tweeter. Don;t take the chance.
Ribbons blew on my RS6's, shorted an took out my Luxman receiver.
Tweeter since replaced. The Luxman is still waiting repairs.
There's no worry using an EMIT from a different model (as long as it's the same form factor), they all use the same diaphragm, only the magnets have changed. I've never compared two different tweeters in the same speaker but from what I've read here over the years, they all sound the same or extremely similar. Love them all!

Borrowing the tweeters will give me some time to wait for the right deal to come along on replacements. I have seen some nice, lesser models, on CL that I could get for the cost of tweeters alone. In the meantime, I can enjoy what I have.

The Foam Factory is an excellent source for the foam pad around the mids and tweeters. They have a quarter-inch charcoal grey firm density open cell foam that's perfect for this application.

Last edited:
The Foam Factory is an excellent source for the foam pad around the mids and tweeters. They have a quarter-inch charcoal grey firm density open cell foam that's perfect for this application.

Thanks, I had run across a link you posted some time ago about getting foam from them. I was wondering when you might show up.

I am absolutely blown away by these speakers. Soundstage is wide and the depth and detail is astounding.

I got them going. All new foam installed. Had to steal both tweeters from my very beat and worn out RS 1.5s. Very impressive so far, but then I am of a mind that I never met an Infinity with an EMIT tweeter that I didnt like. Driving them with an H/K Citation 19 and Marantz 2285 as the pre. I have another 19 and can run one per channel or I can dig out my Crown amps. Both will have to wait until the weekend. Pic sucks but you get the idea.

Would you mind describing the process of adhearing the new foam sheet? I have had the foam from Foam Factory for many months but have been procrastinating to install on my RSiiia for fear of making a mess of it. Not sure why I’m so scared of this. They still sound great with no foam at all but I will have to do it eventually.

Thank you.

Congrats. Enjoy them.

The Citation 19 aren't rated below 8 ohms when bridged (assuming that's what you were looking at), so use two amps with care.

I'm in the same boat. Two pairs of power amps, but neither are rated at 4 ohms when bridged.

Back
Top Bottom