Sansui!!!!

Joe DeQuarto

58591013-27F1-46DE-85F3-8F2657C32BE1.jpeg Hey everyone,
Just wanted to post picture of my new edition to the family Sansui TU-717.
I have a question: Can anyone give me any info on the best bulbs to get and where do get them for this unit? Thanks in advance joe

Thank you,
I already composed and sent him an email.
I am looking to go to a blue led display lamp, hopefully he can help me out.
I am an electrician by trade and this type of project is like therapy for me.
Thanks again, joe

Blue on a Sansui.. Sacrilege. JMHO.. Dave will hook you up. He has some nice LED options that work really well with the TU-717.

Sorry about the blue on Sansui for all you die hard Sansui people, no harm intended. Honestly, don’t even know why I want blue, just think it would look cool.
The unit itself is incredible! I literally used whatever cables I had laying around and the lame antenna wire that comes with package units.
Reception is great, holds stations well, sound is incredible.
I need to find a manual so I can get well versed on controls and settings.

To my way of thinking blue is wrong because it gives a false colour to the dial. The first time I saw a (single) blue LED I thought it was excellent, and there are situations when they can look great. However, everything was designed by Sansui (colour wise) for the 'off white' illumination provided by incandescent bulbs and anything other than that wouldn't look right. In case it isn't obvious by now, I am a hopeless Sansui 'die-hard' and even think that 'pure white' LED's would look wrong. I have a Sansui TU-719 whose dial illumination is the same as the TU-717, and couldn't imagine it with blue, to me it would look awful. However, I would be entirely happy to fit 'off-white' LED's to mine.

Last edited:
Solution: get two sets. I think you will be glad to swap to off-white or some similar clear/white color once the novelty of the blue fades.
I was going to write "once the novelty of the cheesy blue color fades"...but then you may guess my bias here :)

There's a thread in the Sansui forum that shows how to buy correct electrical spec globe lamps in either bayonet or threaded base, remove the bases, result of that is a bare lead lamp that can be installed in place of the original Stanley lamps that came in these tuners. The original base is retained, and the new lamps look & illuminate exactly like the originals.

John

Now, if only I could figure out a way to make my Accuphase E-202 meter lights match the aqua green in my T-101 tuner I'd be happy. Punker X put that idea into my head a little while ago.

Ya that has always bugged me... You could try blue or green LED's there.

Ya that has always bugged me... You could try blue or green LED's there.
I tried "cool blue" LEDs. Not green enough. I bought some aqua LEDs that might be good. I'd just have to find a way to mount them to a small board as they're not the SMD festoon type that the others are.

Trying to clear my mind, don't think this poor girl has been played so loud in years...no fuses blown yet!

20180531_195002.jpg

Well sorry guys I pulled the trigger on light blue!
Good news Dave was a real gentleman and I would have no issue paying an additional $14 for the off white if the blue look crappy.
Update on the receiver. I have never heard this type of clarity or staging from FM, ever.
I purchased this from someone who had the set tuner and integrated amplifier.
He wasn’t willing to part with amp, but sold me the receiver for a song.
Very happy to add it to my system.
( and for all you die-hard Sansui peeps, even my wife thinks I am crazy for wanting blue!)
I will post a photo when project complete. I will be cleaning and checking all internals when I replace lamps.
I will never have the biggest or best audio system out there, but I enjoy every minute I get to tinker or just sit and listen and I really never ran with the crowd anyway. Music is my therapist and man do I need some serious therapy.

In for pictures. Got a TU-719 sitting here that is curious what the 717 will look like in blue.

Got a friend with mostly newer gear, after the Blue LED made it into the world and his gear has blue LEDs. Without an indicator on the Thorens TD-125 without looking for the strobe lamp, I told him I would put a blue led right there on the front so he would know it was on.

In for pictures. Got a TU-719 sitting here that is curious what the 717 will look like in blue.

Got a friend with mostly newer gear, after the Blue LED made it into the world and his gear has blue LEDs. Without an indicator on the Thorens TD-125 without looking for the strobe lamp, I told him I would put a blue led right there on the front so he would know it was on.
I would definitely like to see those pics, sounds cool thanks

CABD87B0-5A9B-46A8-954E-D842210B38B4.jpeg Ok, Led’s Installed!!
Look great, when I removed the old bulbs they had blue filters on them, looked original???

Back
Top Bottom