Rear Speaker Set up Opinions

Beatnik

What's this ?
Currently I'm running a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's at about 6 foot height angled in about 45 degrees (horizontal, not down). I have a second pair of these and I'm thinking/asking/thoughts about stacking them with the others all on their side, two pointing forward and two still angled in to give more coverage in the room. Does this make sense ? I can just wire them speaker to speaker, running with an Alesis RA300 which can do 4 ohm.

Small speakers on the left wall of this quick room quick sketch.

AV.JPG

Last edited:
If you were to do this which way would you stack them, does it really matter ? Say this is the left rear (behind your left side when sitting). Bottom or top slanted inwards and the other forward ?

orient.JPG

Last edited:
So - not actually a home theater kind of use, not multiple speakers and multi-channel use of the room,
You're just trying to get more "surround" out of 2 pairs of speakers?
You do know imaging will be less when stacking speakers ...

I know back in the day when folks stacked JBL L100s or Advents, the ones I saw were stacked parallel - (Like A or C)
if woofers were on the inside, tweets were on the outside on both pair.
The real determinate on which driver is inside is pretty much how far apart the speakers are -
if the stacks are close, putting tweeters to the outside widens the image -

Well I'm giving it a try now, tweets to the outside. Just trying to give some broader effect to all areas so you still get some surround no matter where you sit. Right now I'm seated on the far wall loveseat and hearing everything surprisingly decent.

Don't make fun of my Archie Bunker couch.

20180601_181039.jpg

20180601_181134.jpg

20180601_183827.jpg

CD8E51C5-2B25-423F-BBE9-C725B4F116C7.jpeg Looks like your going for a dipole setup which for me has worked excellent for watching movies and when I occasionally listen to an Sacd or DVD audio in 5.1 they do a great job as well .

Audiofreak71

View attachment 1205778 Looks like your going for a dipole setup which for me has worked excellent for watching movies and when I occasionally listen to an Sacd or DVD audio in 5.1 they do a great job as well .

Audiofreak71

That looks exactly like what I was thinking, covering a broader area, but having to work with what I've got on hand. So far I have been happy with this arrangement. Those look really nice ! I see from their specs they are also running at 4 ohm.

That looks exactly like what I was thinking, covering a broader area, but having to work with what I've got on hand. So far I have been happy with this arrangement. Those look really nice ! I see from their specs they are also running at 4 ohm.

Thanks, yeah they do work really good , they are large but provide a wide full sound for surrounds . Yeah they are a 4ohm speaker but my amps have no problem driving them to realistic movie levels . I think how you have yours will work pretty good , I have owned the Paradigm Studio 20’s and they are outstanding speakers .

Audiofreak71

It would drive me crazy not having the center channel directly under the image being viewed. Having the L channel so far away would be an issue too. I would put the plasma in the center and then have a larger pull down screen that pull down on the same center line covering the plasma. Then I could place all my front speakers correctly. If you win the lottery you can buy a 100+ inch OLED. and forget about the projector.

It would drive me crazy not having the center channel directly under the image being viewed. Having the L channel so far away would be an issue too. I would put the plasma in the center and then have a larger pull down screen that pull down on the same center line covering the plasma. Then I could place all my front speakers correctly. If you win the lottery you can buy a 100+ inch OLED. and forget about the projector.

I have to work with what I have or find cheap, screen is homemade and fireplace doesn't move. It's not a theater, it's my living room.

I've thought about hanging the screen on a track so it would slide over, would have to raise the ceiling fan. Never use the audio with the little flat screen. I did add a 10" JL sub I have under the center channel crossed over at 800. It's always a work in progress.

I didn't even setup the rears until I started listening to some dvd audio and I do 2.1 when watching concerts.

Back
Top Bottom