Who says Am sound Sucks? You can now add Am Stereo to Your Tuner

Listening habits are definitely changing, but OTA radio's death may be greatly exaggerated.
It still gets the largest share of 1) listeners and 2) minutes listened. Here's one page
that graphs the numbers. It's representative of others I've seen.

HDRadio is actually making it difficult due to the fact it widens a stations channel and some stations are actually having to narrow bandwidth to avoid interference.

Extra annoying if you have a wide band tuner, or just an old tube radio that was built without particularly narrow IF response. I have a few that fall into that category, my two AM/FM simulcast tuners are by far the widest since they were designed for high fidelity AM reception. Switching to wide doesn't give any more frequency response, it just pulls in the digital hash noise.

General Motors offered AM stereo on several of their car lines back in the eighties, Cadillac for sure... I acquired one, replaced the cassette belts, and put it in my Olds Cutlass real wheel drive. I never actually used it, kind of novelty, used the cassette, but there were a number of Southern California AM stations broadcasting in stereo and it definitely had more fidelity than regular AM. I forget now but the technology made use of both the upper and lower part of the carrier which effectively doubled the bandwidth and increased the frequency response to 10K, which is a great improvement. As an aside, that GM unit was a performer... had music search, auto reverse utilizing a four channel head, five band equalizer, frequency derived motor speed control, four bridged output amplifier stages, switchable dynamic noise elimination... a well designed unit with excellent build quality.

My '86 Trans Am has AM stereo in addition to the Fm and cassette deck, with the equalizer - Probably the same chassis as you had. It still works, but no stations are broadcasting in AM stereo around me any more.

As for IF, the Hallicrafters set I keep in the northwoods has adjustable IF and adjustable oscillator for BF. It's most effective in SW bands when picking up the UK or Amsterdam at night, over the top pole. I frequently get southern hemisphere stations DXing on clear nights when it is winter in the south.

My '86 Trans Am has AM stereo in addition to the Fm and cassette deck, with the equalizer - Probably the same chassis as you had. It still works, but no stations are broadcasting in AM stereo around me any more.
Probably same chassis. Mine was from an 85 Cadillac. I just recently sold the Olds but the radio and cassette was still working when I sold it. A good unit... brass flywheels for the cassette, nice brass bushings, sendust four channel head, light interrupter for tape up reel confirmation and auto reverse sensing.... excellent radio, Am and FM... would blend multiplex system below a threshold losing separation during multipath or weakening signal for best signal to noise ratio instead of simply switching to mono. It would have served as a decent cassette play deck in the home system. I actually had the Delco service manual for it which was excellent.

Back
Top Bottom