Marantz 2238B Issue

TurboKid

Hello,
I am new to Audio Karma and I have learned much for reading the discussions on the forums from time to time that I thought it was time to finally join. I'm having an Issue with my Marantz 2238b receiver. It works and produces sound but all the controls such as volume, bass, treble, and mids do not work. They're stuck at the settings that I previously had. Turning any of the dials makes no difference. Wondering if anyone has some insight or had the same probably?

Hiyas and welcome.
Were there any changes to cabling and\or connections before this problem started?

Check the speaker and tape monitor buttons and make sure they are all correct for your source.

Nothing has been changed and all the connections are properly setup. The A & B speaker switches do work, it will swap between the two sets of speakers that I have hooked up. Right now I use the preamp between the turntable and receiver for volume. But no other knobs work besides power.

How long have you owned this receiver?
Any mods or adjustments prior to its present malfunctioning?

I have owned this receiver for five years so Im not sure if it has been modded, I haven't done anything since I owned it. Its the strangest thing really. I am amazed it still is putting out sound it's like the whole controls component just stopped working but the receiver still puts out sound from the turntable.

Welcome to AK! Are you plugging into the tape / tape monitor inputs? These are labelled in a way that is confusing. I know IN and OUT would have been much better than PLAY and RECORD! If this is done the wrong way around you will hear what is plugged in as well as what the selected function is and I think it bypasses the tone controls maybe?

One possible issue: the 2238b has an 'internal' connection for the "main out" and "pre in" option.
It is possible that the connection is faulty. You can test by bypassing externally with rca 'jumpers'.
It is a simple (and inexpensive ) test that may solve or shed more light on the issue...

Thank you all for helping me out with this issue. I figured it out and got the situation remedied. After some further investigation indeed rBuckner was right it was plugged into the tape monitor inputs wrong and I reconnected them to the aux inputs and everything is working. So yeah if you have the rca cables in the wrong inputs it does allow you to hear what is plugged in but it does bypass the tone controls.

Hiyas and welcome.
Were there any changes to cabling and\or connections before this problem started?
Check the speaker and tape monitor buttons and make sure they are all correct for your source.

Hmmmm. :)

hey all. figured id ask on a recent thread involving the 2238b before i started a new one. Im restoring one, its been partially recapped, and is in good working order. My problem is, someone changed all the bulbs out before and just hacked everything up, the plastic housing is literally shattered and is now ruined from me simply touching it. I know this is common on older marantz, my issue is i cant find a replacement. What other models housings are the same if any? I see a ton of new replacements for other models but cant tell if it will fit in the 2238b because mine is in about 30 pieces! Part number, other models that have same housing, any info would be appreciated!!

As far I know no one has made replacement lamp housings for the 2238B/2252B/2265B/2285B era models yet.

I wish they did.

Maybe if we ask ak member @lurp nicely he will!

Bob

According to the service manuals (which are known to contain errors) the 2226B and the 2238B use the same lamp housing or what Marantz called a 'reflector', part number 2211274102.
The 2216B and 2252B use different part numbered reflectors, 2215274102 and 22112744303, respectively.
It's a big job, but you can make a new one out of sheet styrene from the model store. You will probably have to coat it with several layers of paint to make it opaque.
If @lurp does make one, it will be a top notch piece and worth whatever it costs. He is the master!

Tom

Last edited:
According to the service manuals (which are known to contain errors) the 2216B and the 2238B use the same lamp housing or what Marantz called a 'reflector', part number 2211274102.
The 2216B and 2252B use different part numbered reflectors, 2215274102 and 22112744303, respectively.
It's a big job, but you can make a new one out of sheet styrene from the model store. You will probably have to coat it with several layers of paint to make it opaque.
If @lurp does make one, it will be a top notch piece and worth whatever it costs. He is the master!

Tom

i made a temp out of some bent aluminum, works, just doesnt shine like its supposed to. good thing i got this 2238b for 60 bucks, i can throw some money at it and not worry.

Hey folks, I'm just now (finally, it's been over a year!) wrapping up the 2226b, 2238b, 2265b, 2285b housing (p/n 2211274102), which a helpful community member was kind enough to ship an example of to me for reference. As mentioned in a few other threads, this one is a trick, as it's quite delicate, has a fair amount of complex geometry, and has fragile locking tabs that extend beyond the front plane. I've set aside some time to work on it this coming weekend and hope to have them ready soon!

Was just inside a 2226b and remembered how much I hate the light housings. So delicate! Can’t wait for your replacements. :thumbsup:

Hey folks, I'm just now (finally, it's been over a year!) wrapping up the 2226b, 2238b, 2265b, 2285b housing (p/n 2211274102), which a helpful community member was kind enough to ship an example of to me for reference. As mentioned in a few other threads, this one is a trick, as it's quite delicate, has a fair amount of complex geometry, and has fragile locking tabs that extend beyond the front plane. I've set aside some time to work on it this coming weekend and hope to have them ready soon!

I could really use one for my 2285B. Any update on your progress? Thanks in advance for all of effort!

Carter

Just finished relamping and changing the vellum paper on a 2226b. Wow, that housing was nearly disintegrating just by touching it. That plastic has gotten brittle by being cooked by the bulbs for forty years. Both lower locking tabs broke off and I had to improvise with some steel wire. Managed to get it back together and looking good. Still, I too would appreciate hints in this thread for locating a repro replacement. Thanks.

Kenny

Back
Top Bottom