Ringmat? Herbie's excelent? Leather?

Head Tech

I'm looking into platter mats for my SL1200. I currently have the stock technics sftg172-01rubber mat. Can anyone offer any thoughts on what you've tried and your impressions. Thanks in advance John...

I'm running the KAB coated metal mat on my SP-25. It was part of a static solution - that was the reason for purchase. I can't comment on the sound, really.

An 8mm Herbies mat spent about 1/2 hour on my Denon DP1200, before I went back to the stock mat. YMMV.

I'm running the KAB coated metal mat on my SP-25. It was part of a static solution - that was the reason for purchase. I can't comment on the sound, really.

An 8mm Herbies mat spent about 1/2 hour on my Denon DP1200, before I went back to the stock mat. YMMV.
I don’t think the KAB poly-metal mat was ever intented to be a solution for static. It was designed to make up for the weight of the original thick Technics mats as far as the KAB site says.
I personally like the Herbies mat for it's dampening effects. How did you get an 8mm thick one? As far as I am aware it says they only go up to 7.2mm according to the Herbies site too.
And again, I’m just kinda regurgitating info from the KAB and Herbies sites.
Certainly not trying to be disagreeable.

Maybe it was the 7.2mm Herbies. I got it to match the Denon stock rubber mat's thickness.

I bought the main bearing and the poly-metal mat at the same time. I didn't buy the mat for anti-static but that's why I tried it. It seemed to help somewhat, and is still being used. I probably need a clamp, though.

I
Maybe it was the 7.2mm Herbies. I got it to match the Denon stock rubber mat's thickness.

I bought the main bearing and the poly-metal mat at the same time. I didn't buy the mat for anti-static but that's why I tried it. It seemed to help somewhat, and is still being used. I probably need a clamp, though.
if I had it to do again, I woulda bought a 287mm in diameter and probably a much thicker mat, instead of the standard like 4-5mm or whatever it is, thick mat to make up for the VTA on my 1200. I also use a pretty heavy weight. I don’t remember what brand it is, but it definitely holds the record in much better contact with the mat.

Back
Top Bottom