Best place to buy new vinyl?

What I'd consider doing is looking on eBay for LP's sold by get_importcds. Their prices are pretty reasonable to start with, free shipping, and they often (like now) have a promotion of getting an additional 20% off a purchase of $60 or more. Their promotion typically applies to LPs and CDs priced at $26.99 and lower. After that extra 20%, you can get pretty good pricing on stuff and mix and match records and CDs - sometimes you want something, but don't want to pay LP pricing, and a CD can help get you up to the $60 threshold.

I've seen some spotty reviews of importcds.com website (though I've bought from them in the past), usually in regards to customer service, but going through ebay means you get good seller protection and hassle free returns if you get something defective.

I've probably ordered 20 records and a couple of CDs through them over the past 6 months. I've had issues with two records - one badly warped and one with non-fill issues, and both times the returns were easy and you get a refund.

No affiliation - it's just worked out well for me price-wise.

I've bought many albums from Music Direct. They have a really nice catalog they will send you for free. The prices are reasonable.
Barns and Noble have a decent selection in thier stores also. At least the one by me. You'll save on shipping.

Where's the best place to buy new vinyl? Low prices? large choice?
If you go shopping for new records and all you do is look at a titles name and how cheap you can find that title you'll be buying nothing but junk.

The money your spending on equipment will mean nothing playing crappy records. Sound quality in a system starts where the stylus meets the vinyl, at least when your playing records.

Not all records are equal and you get what you pay for.

You can call me as it will be easier to try and help you out.

Last edited:
get_importcds

Excellent suggestion.
My go-to vendor on Ebay. Free shipping, no-hassle returns and very good prices. I buy a lot of not-so-popular titles and they have most of them.
Another one to look at is Popmarket. Sign up for emails and they have weekly specials. I have snagged quite a few gems from them. They also have some off-the-wall stuff you don't see every day.
Amazon is another one to check, you never know how cheap they can be.
Barnes and Noble occasionally has a bargain or two.
As far as quality goes, it can be hit or miss with regularly priced vinyl. Make sure you buy from a place that accepts returns. If it's new and noisy, it goes back.
I have never been disappointed with Sony/Legacy vinyl. A very good source for good sounding records.

Last edited:
Where's the best place to buy new vinyl? Low prices? large choice?

Tell us what genres you are into. "Everyday" titles can be had at a lot of places, obscure stuff you may need to do some work.
I was thinking of starting a thread about bargain vinyl sources, ones that sound great but aren't priced high. After thinking it over I thought not, musical taste being what it is I would read through pages of stuff that I can't stomach.

Captouch is right getImportCDs is great. Cheapest prices on new albums. I got the mono three-LP My Generation for just $28.
That goes for $50 in local stores. Use their EBay store for best prices.

just order 5 Lps from get_importcds, using there web site it's 102.61 and eBay its 117.22 thanks guys.

For new vinyl, and huge selection and variety of new vinyl, I recommend the Sound Garden in Baltimore. The price is probably just slightly lower than you'll find elsewhere, but not by much -- probably right around the market standard. They also carry a nicely curated used LP section, ie, very little junk, a lot of newer used stuff, and even some harder-to-find stuff, most of it in VG-plus or better shape.

get_importcds

Ok this site is only import, let me explain this. A LOT of imports are a nice way of saying Bootleg Unofficial and the country they are made in don't have the same laws the US does in making and selling them.

There are some that are legit though, some labels I seen there, Sony, Music on Vinyl, Rhino are legit. Personally I would not randomly shop there without knowing about the label your buying. Just like bootlegs in the day being inferior and shoddy sound quality the same holds true today. You'll also notice a lot of "Imports" will be live shows, because they found a sound board tape and made a record from it.

Anyway these records are so prevalent today and the problem got so bad Discogs is stopping people from selling them there as well as eBay.

Ok this site is only import, let me explain this. A LOT of imports are a nice way of saying Bootleg Unofficial and the country they are made in don't have the same laws the US does in making and selling them.

You must be at a different vendor. They have nearly 37,000 vinyl record titles up right now, many US Atlantic, Capitol, Sony, etc.
Check this Johnny Cash record out and then go to their store from there.
I've dealt with them a lot over the years and if I was disappointed it was returned postage paid no questions asked.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnny-Cas...h-New-Vinyl-/142089035195?hash=item21152a9dbb

There are some that are legit though, some labels I seen there, Sony, Music on Vinyl, Rhino are legit. Personally I would not randomly shop there without knowing about the label your buying. Just like bootlegs in the day being inferior and shoddy sound quality the same holds true today. You'll also notice a lot of "Imports" will be live shows, because they found a sound board tape and made a record from it.

Anyway these records are so prevalent today and the problem got so bad Discogs is stopping people from selling them there as well as eBay.

They do carry European public domain vinyl from labels like Waxtime, Dol, etc, but they’re upfront about listing labels, UPC codes, etc so you’re able to do your research and steer clear from those that may be digitally sourced from CD’s, poor sources, etc.

But places like Music Direct, Soundstage Direct, and Elusive Disc also sell lots of these titles, so it just seems to be widespread and you have to do your research before buying.

But they have a full selection of major label U.S. and U.K. titles as well, so I don’t see them as any different than most online retailers. I think they just want to move high volume at lower profit margins and price aggressively to do so.

Dude I have ordered both CDs and LPs from this store, which is located in Kentucky by the way.
No bootlegs no problems with anything I have ordered from getImportCDs.

Last edited:
No bootlegs no problems with anything I have ordered from getImportCDs.
Lots and Lots Of bootlegs or maybe a better term is Unofficial with these "Imports" and places like Discogs is now blocking all boots from the past and today. There are many high dollar new records that I have bought over the years, sold in stores regularly that now can't be sold at many places online. As Eric mentioned in post #15, European and other countries don't have the same domain laws we do in the states, so I would say about half of the "Imports" we get here are classed bootleg.

If I felt like it I could grab a bunch of titles off that site and then post what Discogs says

This release has been blocked from sale in the marketplace. It is not permitted to sell this item on Discogs.

Lots and Lots Of bootlegs or maybe a better term is Unofficial with these "Imports" and places like Discogs is now blocking all boots from the past and today. There are many high dollar new records that I have bought over the years, sold in stores regularly that now can't be sold at many places online. As Eric mentioned in post #15, European and other countries don't have the same domain laws we do in the states, so I would say about half of the "Imports" we get here are classed bootleg.

If I felt like it I could grab a bunch of titles off that site and then post what Discogs says

This release has been blocked from sale in the marketplace. It is not permitted to sell this item on Discogs.
chill and leave my post!

Back
Top Bottom