Today's INDIE Playlist

I don't post much here anymore cuz I don't hear much anymore. The current status of my top 3 favorite college stations:
  1. Was fantastic 2012-2014. Now just another mediocrity.
  2. Always a few gems in rotation. But they never ID anything.
  3. OK - but a few years behind the times. Air staff stuck in the 1990s.
So I'm reaching out to stations on the internet that look like they have playlists that I might like. I can't get this one to work:

http://kamp.arizona.edu/

I installed Flash Player, and I get the play button. But nothing happens. Can you guys stream this? I'm using Linux Mint with Firefox as browser.

I'm having a total riot. I replaced the lithium battery on this 12 year old PC and installed Windows 10 on it. The hardware is 64 bit (even though the original OS was 32-bit Win XP). So instead of an antenna feed from my roof and local stations I now have this cool dedicated box that pulls in college stations from EVERYWHERE. I'd heard this tune many times back in the day but didn't know it was Death Cab. I'm gonna post the names of the stations too. This is from the University of Oregon and the guy just said this is where they filmed Animal House. So I'm picking up facts too. :D

Death Cab For Cutie - You Are A Tourist

KWVA 88.1 FM | University of Oregon Campus Radio

Last edited:
KSSU (1580 AM) unlicensed, carrier current radio station on the campus of California State University, Sacramento

Speedy Ortiz - Lucky 88

I remember hearing REM in the student union between classes on a campus station that somebody told me went over the phone lines (as analog RF, not "modem" tech). I could get it in my car too - but it dropped off right away as I left campus. IIRC.

Last edited:
I don't post much here anymore cuz I don't hear much anymore. The current status of my top 3 favorite college stations:
Same issue with the forgetting to back announce tracks here, that's why Shazam is my friend in the car.

1. OK - but a few years behind the times. Air staff stuck in the 1990s.
So I'm reaching out to stations on the internet that look like they have playlists that I might like. I can't get this one to work:

I installed Flash Player, and I get the play button. But nothing happens. Can you guys stream this? I'm using Linux Mint with Firefox as browser.

Yes streams OK on my WIN 10, Firefox with an Adobe Flash plugin.

Here's a few I Shazammed from my local stations this week.

Planet - Waking Eight

These guys sound a lot like DMAs who have their roots from Oasis.

Last edited:
Yes streams OK on my WIN 10, Firefox with an Adobe Flash plugin.
Hey - it works for me now too. Right now I'm listening to your FBI Radio 94.5 FM Sydney NSW. I was listening earlier today and texted a request for "Good Advice" by the Growlers - but the text may have dropped into the Pacific along the way. Or the girl was into this smooth RnB groove and didn't want to break the spell.

I know the internet has been around for a while but I've always listened old school with an FM tuner and antenna. So I'm just getting into this radio stuff on the internet. Right now my default station is XS Manchester in the UK. Not "indie" by definition - but it's Manchester (tons of 1990's flashbacks) and the commercials are fun. And they do play the cool modern bands. But the real fun is in the hunt for the magic college stations. Toronto has a commercial indie station but it's kind of a buzzkill cuz they have all the annoying trappings of typical commercial FM.

One "trick" I've learned to find cool radio stations is to Google "name of band I like" + "interview" + "radio". It turns out that our friends The Growlers visited the studios of Sydney's FBi 94.5 FM. She even mentions the song I requested !

Listen :: The Growlers interview + ‘Black Memories’ live on Lunch

grrrrowlers-600x600.jpg

At the end of the interview she plays a tune by the Growlers' opening act -

The Walking Who - With Roses

Last edited:
  3. OK - but a few years behind the times. Air staff stuck in the 1990s.

Not college but you can take it out for a spin, crash helmet recommended for daytime propaganda.
https://www.kcrw.com/playlists

Hey - it works for me now too. Right now I'm listening to your FBI Radio 94.5 FM Sydney NSW. I was listening earlier today and texted a request for "Good Advice" by the Growlers - but the text may have dropped into the Pacific along the way. Or the girl was into this smooth RnB groove and didn't want to break the spell.

I know the internet has been around for a while but I've always listened old school with an FM tuner and antenna. So I'm just getting into this radio stuff on the internet. Right now my default station is XS Manchester in the UK. Not "indie" by definition - but it's Manchester (tons of 1990's flashbacks) and the commercials are fun. And they do play the cool modern bands. But the real fun is in the hunt for the magic college stations. Toronto has a commercial indie station but it's kind of a buzzkill cuz they have all the annoying trappings of typical commercial FM.

FBI is my local station, my dial is pretty well GLUED to it in the car.

Anyhoo I'm off to see The Brian Jonestown Massacre at the Metro in Sydney in a few hours. I'll give y'all a report. Hope they aren't too stoned or in bad moods.

Back
Top Bottom