Overcast skies and fm tuners...

rudedogg

AK Member
question for tuner enthusiasts. Why do my stereo tuners seem to sound better during overcast weather days? Am I really hearing a difference or am I just goofy?

Bet the signal hugs the ground better. Boosting the S/N ratio, with higher signal strength. Just my guess.

Ok, I took a few minutes this morning to search the web. Yep! Signal IS stronger on cloudy days because the radio waves bounce off the bottoms of the clouds instead of dispersing more. You guys are correct, and I am not nuts! Lol

You guys are correct, and I am not nuts! Lol
That is a big leap there, don't you think? You're here on AK, that's gotta score a good bit in the nuts department no matter what you seem to think about FM reception and cloudy days.

On calm, heavy cloud covered nights the tuner I use seems to do a better job of grabbing the stations.

That is a big leap there, don't you think? You're here on AK, that's gotta score a good bit in the nuts department no matter what you seem to think about FM reception and cloudy days.

On calm, heavy cloud covered nights the tuner I use seems to do a better job of grabbing the stations.
Lol, you may be on to something there...the fact that I have a half dozen tuners does not help my chances either huh?

Having worked tropo scatter in the air force I say say from experience that an overcast day will improve FM signal reception. But, this doesn't mean that you aren't crazy. You might want to consult other sources form that.

Back
Top Bottom