Bookshelf Speakers vs. Floorstanding Speakers

Tin Bird

Anyone else, like me, prefer the sound of quality bookshelf speakers on nice stands over floorstanding speakers? Clarity, zero distortion, tight, punchy bass, decent sound staging vs. boomy/movie-theater-like bass that rattles the house. I like to hear the bass line, but I don't want all of my music to sound like I am in the front row of a Who concert in 1974.

Anyone else, like me, prefer the sound of quality bookshelf speakers on nice stands over floorstanding speakers? Clarity, zero distortion, tight, punchy bass, decent sound staging vs. boomy/movie-theater-like bass that rattles the house. I like to hear the bass line, but I don't want all of my music to sound like I am in the front row of a Who concert in 1974.
There are plenty of floor standers that fit your first description just as there are many bookshelf speakers that fit your second description. Funny how generalizations work that way, isn't it? :confused:

I prefer decent sound and have heard it from both styles. Generally speaking though, if comparing the two directly (in contrast to bookshelves with a sub), I tend to prefer the wider range afforded by good full-sized speakers.

That said, I regularly use what would be considered large bookshelves on stands and am quite pleased with that sound too. In fact, this setup violates general practice by pairing low sensitivity speakers with a (relatively) low power tube amp (~10W). Regardless, sounds pretty damn good as long as I don't try to raise the roof.

I like to hear the bass line, but I don't want all of my music to sound like I am in the front row of a Who concert in 1974.
My father's been building his own floor-standing speaker systems since the 1950's. He would just laugh at this statement.

Clarity, zero distortion, tight, punchy bass, decent sound staging...I don't want all of my music to sound like I am in the front row of a Who concert in 1974.

Agree entirely with the pith above extracted from your come-on. ANY speaker that meets those criteria is a good one, regardless of driver configuration, crossover type, age, manufacturer, cost, OR bookshelf/floorstander format.

My father's been building his own floor-standing speaker systems since the 1950's. He would just laugh at this statement.
:) Well, of course I was being tongue in cheeky, but I do find that my ears do not like ultra-low bass notes that rattle the floor. From years of drumming and music listening, I have a sensitivity to extreme frequencies and find that I just can't tolerate them much below 40 Hz. I love clarity, depth, layers..etc..but I am not fond of a BIG sound...

Truth be told, I just purchased a pair of Polk S55 floorstanding speakers yesterday and am trying to come to terms w the bass levels. My main speakers for the past few years had been the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary bookshelf speakers. That is until I picked up a pair of used Polk S20s from fleabay. They sounded so good I decided to check out the rest of the line. These S55s sound incredible, but they put out a LOT of bass...they go down to 32 and I am not used to it. Like I said, sensitive ears and all...but damn if these don't sound so incredible I think I am going to give them a week or so to break in before passing judgement. Perhaps my ears can adjust during that time as well.

Truth be told, I just purchased a pair of Polk S55 floorstanding speakers yesterday and am trying to come to terms w the bass levels. My main speakers for the past few years had been the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary bookshelf speakers. That is until I picked up a pair of used Polk S20s from fleabay. They sounded so good I decided to check out the rest of the line. These S55s sound incredible, but they put out a LOT of bass...they go down to 32 and I am not used to it. Like I said, sensitive ears and all...but damn if these don't sound so incredible I think I am going to give them a week or so to break in before passing judgement. Perhaps my ears can adjust during that time as well.
Speakers can often take 100 hrs or more to break-in, the bass will tighten up, upper frequencies gel better, etc, give your new speakers time.

. boomy/movie-theater-like bass that rattles the house. I like to hear the bass line, but I don't want all of my music to sound like I am in the front row of a Who concert in 1974.

Any speaker that does that is either bad or in a bad setup or the bass is set too high on the preamp.

Speakers can often take 100 hrs or more to break-in, the bass will tighten up, upper frequencies gel better, etc, give your new speakers time.
I think you are right...they already sound better today than they did yesterday. I probably should just let music play in the background for a few days before sitting in front of them again. Hearing all kinds of background sounds in songs I have never heard before. These are very nice speakers...esp. foe the price. On sale for $277.06 right now at Amazon btw.

Ooh that's tempting. They're so attractive. Just wish I had a place to put them.

610d5bd4-e3e6-4605-93ce-dc66a2a99278._SL300__.jpg

Any speaker that does that is either bad or in a bad setup or the bass is set too high on the preamp.
I agree with you, but in this case, I really think it is just me getting used to the level of output in general and low frequencies specifically. I am running my CD player direct, so no tone controls...everything set flat so no added bass at all. I am using a Rotel A12 integrated, so no pre amp (other than what's inside the Rotel). I also plan to experiment w room placement...right now they are about 13 inches from the back wall...bass might lessen a smidge if I move them out into the room a but more. Although they are not rear ported, so that may not make as much difference as usual. They are sounding better by the minute though...

Ooh that's tempting. They're so attractive. Just wish I had a place to put them.

610d5bd4-e3e6-4605-93ce-dc66a2a99278._SL300__.jpg
I had gone to Best Buy to check them out...decided to hold off but had my son just check quickly on his phone to see if they were on sale anywhere and low and behold Amazon did! $60.00 off for each! I have been listening to music all freaking day..started with dang that is too much bass, went through a well, maybe that's OK phase, to now kind've feeling like they are freaking amazing. Like a whole new take on music I have known for years. The only catch (for me) will be if my ears can hang w them.

Last edited:
I think the main advantage of a fine bookshelf is the speaker designer doesn't have to deal with the burden of incorporating a low frequency woofer.
It's rather difficult to produce really good bass that integrates well with the mids.
That said well designed bass "floorstander" will enhance those qualities of the low and middle midrange.

btw the upper frequencies are super clear, but not bright at all...present, detailed, but not sharp or biting.

I think the main advantage of a fine bookshelf is the speaker designer doesn't have to deal with the burden of incorporating a low frequency woofer.
It's rather difficult to produce really good bass that integrates well with the mids.
That said well designed bass "floorstander" will enhance those qualities of the low and middle midrange.
I agree.

btw I know Best Buy generally sucks, but they do have some decent gear in the Magnolia Room...Bowers and Wilkens, KEF, Martin Logan, Def Tech...etc....

Back
Top Bottom