MX-117 versus C-28

As much as I enjoy my MC7300, I think I enjoyed my last MC2105 more. Both are excellent power amps.

That is an interesting perspective. I didn't get to listen to my MC-7300 enough to really get a feel for its performance. Meanwhile I've listened to my MC-2105 amp - primarily with a C-22 preamp for several years. I've used this combination with many speakers (Quads, ESS, Klipsch Cornwall, Klipsch RF-63, Usher 718Be, etc...) and always found it's performance satisfying. I've considered selling it to help fund purchase of a McIntosh tube amp to drive my Quads. But I'm not certain if I wouldn't regret selling it. To me, it sounds great and looks even better.

IMHO, both amps are icons from their respective eras. I’d miss my MC2105 more if I didn’t also have two MC2300s that I use daily.

The MC2105 just screams “I’ve retired to the den for some music and a drink.” What an iconic design.

Heard from Ryan today. My MC-7300 amp has been tested and everything is a "go". He will be shipping amp tomorrow and I'll have it early next week. I'm really looking forward to having it back and hear it perform.

Expect to receive my MC-7300 amp this coming Wednesday. To get ready for it, I put my MC-2105 amp, C-22 preamp, and MR-74 tuner together tonight with my ESS speakers. I'll initially connect the MC-7300 amp to my MX-117 tuner/preamp and drive a pair of Quads. I'm anxious to hear this amp/preamp combination - hoping I like it.
IMG_0341.jpg

I just joined the 7300 club and also have a 2100. I'm very impressed with the 7300 and also really enjoy the 2100. Keep us updated - I'd love to hear your impressions once you get the 7300 back from AudioClassics and have a chance to listen to it with the MX117.

-Matt

I can vouch for the MX117 as a precision tuner and preamp. Mine feeds an MC502 which in turn powers Vandersteen 2Ce speakers to make a lovely noise. Your MC7300 should sing very sweetly with the MX117!

UPS delivered my amp this afternoon. The AudioClassics carton and packaging is over the top - amp looked great when I unpacked it. Just finished hooking it up to the MX-117 and pair of Klipsch RF-63 speakers. Plan some extended listening this evening!! It has taken sometime (since May of last year) , but it is great to have it back. I can't thank Ryan and AudioClassics enough for their service.IMG_0343.jpg

I remember gazing at the MC7300 when it was brand spankin' new. At the time, my one and only Mc amp was an MC240. The MC7300 was so fresh, yet it was unmistakingly McIntosh in the same way as my MC240. Here in 2018, the MC7300 is a classic in performance and styling. Every time I look at mine, I'm reminded of that.

While the MC7270 was the transition from the old guard to the new, the full glass faceplate of the MC7300 is the clincher for me. In addition, the MC7300 is capable of some 85A/channel, according to McIntosh's literature at that time so it's quite the powerhouse given its modest power ratings. The MC300 which replaced it loses a bit of appeal for me in that its front panel is a bit more sparse to the eye.

Enjoy it!

I remember gazing at the MC7300 when it was brand spankin' new. At the time, my one and only Mc amp was an MC240. The MC7300 was so fresh, yet it was unmistakingly McIntosh in the same way as my MC240. Here in 2018, the MC7300 is a classic in performance and styling. Every time I look at mine, I'm reminded of that.

While the MC7270 was the transition from the old guard to the new, the full glass faceplate of the MC7300 is the clincher for me. In addition, the MC7300 is capable of some 85A/channel, according to McIntosh's literature at that time so it's quite the powerhouse given its modest power ratings. The MC300 which replaced it loses a bit of appeal for me in that its front panel is a bit more sparse to the eye.

Enjoy it!
I had a MC-7270 for a short time previously. I agree with you regarding the full glass faceplate of the MC-7300 being much nicer. I listened to my system for several hours tonight and enjoyed it immensely. Below is photo of system currently. I intend to put the MC-7300 into its wood cabinet tomorrow and then I'm done moving pieces around. The weight of the MC-7300 is significant enough to be a challenge for me to handle.
IMG_0345.jpg

I had a MC-7270 for a short time previously. I agree with you regarding the full glass faceplate of the MC-7300 being much nicer. I listened to my system for several hours tonight and enjoyed it immensely. Below is photo of system currently. I intend to put the MC-7300 into its wood cabinet tomorrow and then I'm done moving pieces around. The weight of the MC-7300 is significant enough to be a challenge for me to handle.
View attachment 1103235
Yep. Hard to believe I have five Mc amps heavier ...

When the urge hits you to go mono blocks, you know where to find the 2nd ...

While I've been very happy with the performance of my MX-117 with my MC-7300 , I've been considering a change (no real good reason, other than try another McIntosh piece:)). I pulled the trigger this morning on a C-32 preamp. I've read good reviews about the C-32, and the one I've purchased is in like new cosmetic condition and been gone over by AudioClassics less than 4 years ago. I hope to have it by next weekend.

I've been very happy with my C32 over these last 4 years or so. The funny thing is I originally bought it as a backup unit for my vintage system but I wound up initially setting it up in my main system where it's been ever since. The C32 I had gotten from A/C and it is practically mint. Even the original box is still like new with all the wrappers and printed materials. I'll probably have it until I die.

I've been very happy with my C32 over these last 4 years or so. The funny thing is I originally bought it as a backup unit for my vintage system but I wound up initially setting it up in my main system where it's been ever since. The C32 I had gotten from A/C and it is practically mint. Even the original box is still like new with all the wrappers and printed materials. I'll probably have it until I die.
Yes - I saw where you list the C-32 in your main system. I figured the C-32 must perform pretty well if you're using it:beerchug:. I believe the C-32 should pair up well with the MC-7300 amp and the fact Audio Classics has already gone over this one - it was worth trying out.

Not certain what problem you are referring to??
I was sort of half joking what do you do if you spend several hundred dollars to rewind an autoformer (including repotting, etc) and the problem is still there. It isn't like they found an "service test unit" and temporarily put it in to absolutely nail the problem.

I can't honestly say how AudioClassics diagnosed the problem. I can only say after rewinding the output transformer, the amplifier was tested and meets factory specs - and has played wonderfully for 5 months I've had it back from them.

IMG_0579.jpg
My C-32 arrived this evening. Just hooked it up and checking it now. Very pleased with cosmetic condition and expect I'll like its performance as well.

Last edited:
The C32 really puts into perspective the size of the MC7300. Never realized how massive that amplifier is.

Back
Top Bottom