Real question on why use a tuner.

Also,
FM is broadcast via a digital source these days. I don't think radio stations spin vinyl anymore. It seems FM sounds a bit better these days with the digital source. The analog FM "warms it up" by taking the digital edge off the source. It seems to be a pleasant end result on the ears. I am sure it is all just in my head but I really love the sound of Analog FM with digital sources at the station LOL. Yup, the modernization of FM Radio, thanks Digital!

most radio stations stream at 128k mp3s or best I have come accross is 320k mp3s. FM over the air is better fidelity -- equivalent to vinyl and close to cd quality

FM sound quality can be excellent, when at its best....not nearly the bandwidth of a CD, but still quite good. Unfortunately, we don't often hear it at its best anymore. Most pop music stations use both dynamic range compression and digital signal compression. Few of them use: LPs or CDs as their source...rather, they use compressed formats, such as MP3. And they pump up the volume with dynamic range compression...overlaying it onto recordings already recorded too hot.

But a lot of college and public radio stations still deliver the kind of signal that made FM so popular in the 70s and 80s. Unfortunately, many of these have low powered signals...so you end up a lot of noise in the signal, detracting from its quality.

why use a tuner?...well today i listened to a live performance on WBGO in NYC by Amy Serelini ( i might be spelling her last name wrong)..its was grand...she was in the room with me.

New music does not come from a turntable or CD player. It comes over the air. It gets competition from YouTube now but with YouTube you have to know what you are looking for first.

My car radio has a choice of AM, FM or CD and the one in the Subaru has SiriusXM. Of those, radio is free, CD's have to be bought and Sirius has some freebie weeks (they just finished one last week) that shows me you can have your fill of satellite radio if it is on for a week but of course, you have to pay for continuous airplay.

I just picked up a Luxman T450 tuner to add to the main rig.
Regards,
Jim

Also, FM is broadcast via a digital source these days. I don't think radio stations spin vinyl anymore.
We are lucky in our area to have a few stations that still spin vinyl from time to time. And also broadcast live music. These stations sound great, can be CD quality if you have a good system to listen with.

Well, they can sound very good thru a high quality tuner, and of course a good playback system is going to sound better than a poor one regardless of source, but FM is technically incapable of CD quality. It does not have comparable dynamic range nor frequency response.

That said, many lower-quality CD players are also incapable of delivering the full capabilities of CD!

For me, don't want to be tied to a computer to listen to the radio.
I do use the music channels on U-verse at times so it is not for dislike of technology.
Just convenience and ease.

Another advantage to live FM listening from my personal perspective. I still, even at 57, eat sleep and breath music. I don't watch tv. I still play my guitars every night, I have always kept my discipline in that area. I also "audition" recordings via vinyl , cassette, open reel, and yes CD. Audition meaning I actually sit in the sweet spot of the system(s) and focus on the recording that is being played with no distractions. FM is my light listening mode. When I am doing chores and puttering around the house, FM is my form of entertainment. I will tune to the same station in all rooms and stay engaged as I move from room to room. Hence why I have multiple systems, all vintage. I have modest entry level 70's Pioneer Components to be sure in the area of amp/tuner. I have 2 sets of SA/TX-5500 II Series (amp/tuner) and 2 sets of SA/TX-6500II (amp/tuner) with one set having the beautiful walnut cases (see pics in this thread) But they perform well in this rural area and I now have a service technician that can keep it all up and running when the needs arise. I love the mix of tunes and not knowing what is up next. FM also keeps me current with weather and local news that I don't get due to avoiding tv at all costs. And, yes, when not listening to public radio, I still enjoy the break of commercials on the classic rock station. They keep me informed also in this rural area of the country that I live in. I realize technology and the way we listen has changed since the 70's. I am a product of my times and generation and the first to admit I would preference using basic well conditioned vintage equipment than the high tech BPC (Black Plastic Crap) of Today. I am happy right where I am at.

Well, they can sound very good thru a high quality tuner, and of course a good playback system is going to sound better than a poor one regardless of source, but FM is technically incapable of CD quality. It does not have comparable dynamic range nor frequency response.
As you point out, there are a lot of variables. For those who don't know, the FM spec is for 20hz-15kHz. There is a stereo pilot at 19khz, which is why the upper limit is at 15kHz.
The CD spec goes higher, but as most - but of course, not all- folks lose their upper frequency hearing as they age, for practical purposes the theoretical limits are tempered by the limitations of our hearing. Anyway, something fun to think about. And it's nice we have lots of choices for music sources.

As you point out, there are a lot of variables. For those who don't know, the FM spec is for 20hz-15kHz. There is a stereo pilot at 19khz, which is why the upper limit is at 15kHz.
The CD spec goes higher, but as most - but of course, not all- folks lose their upper frequency hearing as they age, for practical purposes the theoretical limits are tempered by the limitations of our hearing. Anyway, something fun to think about. And it's nice we have lots of choices for music sources.

True dat. However, dynamic range/signal to noise ratio is also better with CD...variables which for most folks are more apparent. But I agree that a good FM signal, with minimal compression and from a full-range source (CD, LP, R2R) can be awfully good.

There is something very different about a good live FM broadcast that, speaking entirely for myself beat out all other playback formats .
FM broadcast over the air is distinctly different and why that is I have little idea why, I do stream international FM stations however the sound quality isn’t there like a good over the air broadcast.
Just like other formats at their very best unless you have listened to great vinyl playback , reel to reel and digital playback they each do not sound symular however they each have their own distinct sound .The best I heard were not my own systems.

Having dumped 10s of thousands on single component formats comparisons of a great FM broadcast overall I found a deeper connection on an emotional level then with other playback formats.
Thinking about it I find a lasting contentment with FM broadcast with little or no urge to frequently buy and sell components constantly looking for that little extra , ....FM broadcast will always remain at the top of my list for overall contentment and pleasure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom