Just picked up a B-2x/C-2x combo.

Both should be inspected corrosive glue used to hold some caps down (can absorb moisture and short things out over the years), and bad solder joints retouched with fresh solder. This is especially wise on the "Class A" area of the B-2x power amp boards which have a series of TO-220 transistors which run very hot. It's good to clean and redo the thermal paste at the same time.

Unfortunately it's not a quick or small job, it's either quite time consuming, or a little expensive for someone to do the job properly - however it would be well worth it for those excellent and valuable pieces you've purchased. While there's always a risk of failure if the pieces are used unrestored, if they were sold as functioning, maybe it's not a bad idea to take the small risk (if you're comfortable with that) and listen to them first to decide if you can justify the time / expense in restoring them. Once restored (correctly, by the right person) they will easily endure another 30+ years of regular use.

If you ask anyone here I'm sure they'll agree those pieces are certainly worth it.
Searching and reading through this forum will give you most information you need, if you wish to tackle the project yourself. The important tool you'll need in that case is patience.

A nice gallery here of a restored one:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/77313494@N03/sets/72157633401219486

Welcome to AK and congratulations on your purchase!

I can vouch for the B-2X, it is worth the effort. Mine didn't have the glue problem, but the 100,000 uF capacitors on the amp boards were toast. Enjoy your new (to you) TOTL Yamaha components!

@zaibatsu, thanks for the info! I plugged in the B2-X last night and played some music. It sounded good but I couldn't play it loud.... neighbors.
Based on what you said, I'll put both units on the side and slowly restore them as I have time.

The seller knew they were good quality but I don't think he knew they were TOTL for its time. Either way, he was happy they were going to someone who'd appreciate them.

Great score there for sure. Welcome to AK!

I'd inspect both for weak caps and bad solder joints. My C-2x has lots of cracked joints and the way the boards are positioned pretty much cooks the caps to death.
I haven't been in my B-2x so I'll defer to the advice above.

I’ve owned two C-2x preamps. A very, very fine preamp! My first one needed some work as several of the RCA connections to the PCB were loose. It had also been recapped by the previous owner who had Ecowars do the work. The second one I still own and it is 100% original and works perfect. As long as it keeps performing like it does, I don’t plan on touching it.

You stole those units. Easily worth $1500 to $2000 maybe more.

Last edited:
Just took a quick peek .... Nice protective layer of dust!

Attachments

• IMG_1269.jpg
    IMG_1269.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 43
Just took a quick peek .... Nice protective layer of dust!

Well at least you know it is original! C-2x similar inside? A little more difficult for dust to accumulate inside a C-2x with no vents on top.

I doubt any dust will be in there. That is pretty sealed up unit with half of the components covered again under their own red plastic covers.

Congrats! The chances are rather high that the solder connections of the power transistors (TO220?) in the Class A stage are open. You might not notice this immediately as they just send an inverse distortion correction signal to the negative outputs.

Both should be inspected corrosive glue used to hold some caps down (can absorb moisture and short things out over the years), and bad solder joints retouched with fresh solder. This is especially wise on the "Class A" area of the B-2x power amp boards which have a series of TO-220 transistors which run very hot. It's good to clean and redo the thermal paste at the same time.

Unfortunately it's not a quick or small job, it's either quite time consuming, or a little expensive for someone to do the job properly - however it would be well worth it for those excellent and valuable pieces you've purchased. While there's always a risk of failure if the pieces are used unrestored, if they were sold as functioning, maybe it's not a bad idea to take the small risk (if you're comfortable with that) and listen to them first to decide if you can justify the time / expense in restoring them. Once restored (correctly, by the right person) they will easily endure another 30+ years of regular use.

If you ask anyone here I'm sure they'll agree those pieces are certainly worth it.
Searching and reading through this forum will give you most information you need, if you wish to tackle the project yourself. The important tool you'll need in that case is patience.

A nice gallery here of a restored one:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/77313494@N03/sets/72157633401219486

Welcome to AK and congratulations on your purchase!

Peter Szumilo...he did my C-2x and it sounds amazing. He does superior work.

Back
Top Bottom