What model are these?

Thanks, I'm going to try and buy theses.
I've had some great luck with my Ren 90's for $50. and my CS 3007 for $80.00

Just heard back from seller, they are RS 5001's.
What are your thoughts on sound?
I see they aren't wired for bi-amping.
Suggestions?

Just heard back from seller, they are RS 5001's.
What are your thoughts on sound?
I see they aren't wired for bi-amping.
Suggestions?

The 5001 is a nice speaker. Not as nice as the 3007, and certainly nowhere near the Ren 90. Vinyl covering and older poly woofers, rather than IMG. But it has an EMIT tweeter, so that's good. Do you need a third system? If so, these would be a good choice. But again, they can't compete with the other two you already have.

He wanted $150, which is probably fair, but I'm looking for a good deal. I don't need a 3rd system, but am always interested in Infinity, esp. at bargain prices.
If they don't sell at a garage sale this weekend, he said I could make an offer.

If all drivers have been refoamed (mids as well as woofers), I'd say that $150 is a good deal. If not I'd probably offer half or less.

The 5001 has a way better tweeter than the crescendo line of speakers, the only reason infinity stopped using the emit tweeter in their speakers is because the company that made them for infinity went under, infinity actually told me their name but it's been years and I can't remember it Lol, heard this directly from the product manager at infinity.

The 5001 does have IMG woofers.

The 5001's midrange is a good design, It's polysperite, basically a graphite/impregnated dome, unlike other domes the polysperite has an extra spider near the voice coil and a outer surround to support the dome to keep it from breaking up or wobbling at higher volumes like other dome mids do, the polysperite mid is light and very quick and wont deteriorate like the polydome.

The 5001's also used Solen metallized polypropylene capacitors in their crossovers for the mids and tweeters where as the Crescendo's used mostly electrolytic caps

The 5001 is covered in vinyl but I have to admit it holds up just as good if not better than the solid oak speakers that infinity made, that is if you take care of your speakers.

Also the 5001's have rounded front baffles that help with imaging and soundstage depth that the crescendo's do not have.

The crescendo series speakers were made for circuit city, the RS (Reference Standard) 5001's were not.

I don't know how the 5001's would sound up against the 3007 because it's really not a fair test as the 3007 is a bigger speaker but it will kick the crap out of any crescendo speaker that is the same size as the 5001, the 3006 comes to mind.

Here is my pair with stands removed

Last edited:
The 5001's midrange is a good design, It's polysperite, basically a graphite/impregnated dome, unlike other domes the polysperite has an extra spider near the voice coil and a outer surround to support the dome to keep it from breaking up or wobbling at higher volumes like other dome mids do, the polysperite mid is light very quick.
You're right, it has polyspherite mids rather than IMG cones. However, these domes are not edge driven like a traditional dome. Inside, there's a perforated cone attached to a smaller voice coil (with, yes, a spider). The dome is attached to the edge of the cone. I tried to find a picture online but couldn't.

You're right, it has polyspherite mids rather than IMG cones. However, these domes are not edge driven like a traditional dome. Inside, there's a perforated cone attached to a smaller voice coil (with, yes, a spider). The dome is attached to the edge of the cone. I tried to find a picture online but couldn't.
I know I have the speakers, it is a perforated poly cone.

My apologies, you're right, the 5001 does have IMG woofers. I was thinking of the poly woofers in the 5000.

The Crescendos have EMIT tweeters too, just a more modern design, the EMIT-R. I know there are arguments on both sides as to which tweeter is better. I like them both about equally. There's no question the EMIT-R has better dispersion.

I've had a pair of Reference Five, RS 6000, and Crescendo 3007 at the same time and did numerous A/B/C tests. The Crescendo came out on top, followed by the Reference Five, with the RS 6000 at the end. Still a good speaker, just not as good as the others. I realize that Infinity made some improvements to the xxx1 line, but I've never owned a pair to try them out.

A lot of people knock the Crescendos because they were sold exclusively at Circuit City. But they were a very high end speaker, with better build quality than either the Reference or RS series. Their higher MSRP reflected this too.

The EMIT-R is not a more modern design it's a cheaper version of the original design, the original EMIT utilizes a push/pull neodymium magnet motor that is expensive to make as compared to the EMIT-R.
The EMIT-R uses a single ceramic magnet with no push/pull motor.

Anytime I ever listened to a speaker with a EMIT-R I noticed that the tweeter spits at you and it makes you notice that the sound is coming from the speaker where as the original EMIT makes the speaker disappear.

It's certainly a preference thing. The EMIT-R is tuned a little hotter, for sure. To some, this allows for greater inner detail retrieval than the original. To others, it sounds too sizzly.

I'm just going to point out that Genesis Advanced Technologies (originally started by Arnie Nudell in the early 90s after he left Infinity) still uses (and has always used) their own version of the EMIT-R. Arnie was a consummate audiophile and would not have used an inferior design.

Arnie is the one who designed the circular tweeter. According to Genesis he did so in 1991 (two years before the .1 Kappa introduction). Possibly Infinity used his design (sold them rights or something). His website (or Genesis) states some of the benefits of the design. Not sure what "tuned a little hotter" means though. I think they sound great. If the 9.1 only had the EMIM from the Ren, I would be a happy camper.

Paul McGowan's new speaker built by Arnie also used some version of that infinity - genesis emit -R tweeter, so theoretically, all his forthcoming speakers will as well.

I have both tweeters in various infinity speakers, and can't say that either is superior.

Certainly my High Energy Emit is a superior transducer in the Ren 90
at that price I'd have jumped at the infinity's,

Ive always wondered about the 5001 . ( with that "strange" mid tweeter combo )( .Only speaker I know of that paired the polyshperite dome with an Emit . All other models that used the polyspherite mid also used the polysperite dome tweeter . I never heard any polyspherite but assumed it was very similar to the Polycell dome mid and dome tweeter used in my first speakers ( Infinity Es 200 - 1984 ) The polycell dome mid and tweeter felt and looked a lot like Styrofoam
Interesting how different ears hear . The emit r certainly has fooled me ( all depending on recording ) into believing that they have disappeared . And with some recordings the dispersion makes sound seem to come from places in the room where there are no speakers . But then the Es 200 was able to do that on occasion too . Sometimes I miss the Es 200 . ( they were lost in a Fire ) They had quite a bit of get up and go , but not as precice ( or detailed ) as the Kappa 6.1 ( But after 25 years w the Es 200 my ears were so imprinted to them that when I listen to music I used to hear on the Es 200 somehow it doesn't sound quite "right" . but Id bet if I had them back the difference between the Kappa and Es 200 would be clear .( Pun intended ). Wouldn't mind getting a pair of 5001 !
s-l1600 (2).jpg

"Okee" I like your choice of music . But when I hear that Strauss piece I cant help singing :music: " Kill The Wabbitt , Kill The Wabbitt " ( Bugs Bunnys favorite song ):rflmao: LOL

I'm just going to point out that Genesis Advanced Technologies (originally started by Arnie Nudell in the early 90s after he left Infinity) still uses (and has always used) their own version of the EMIT-R. Arnie was a consummate audiophile and would not have used an inferior design.
If the EMIT-R was so good then why does Genesis Advanced Technologies founder Paul Mcgowan not own one of genesis best speakers? he owns the IRS V

Back
Top Bottom