Fisher 800c power supply issue

The Fuxtor

Addicted Member
Hiya guys , been busy trying to restore a nice condition 800c but ran into an issue.... After installing new cans from Hayseed Hamfest, I plugged into a dbt with a 150watt incandescent light and hit the power. Bright ! Ok, thought I would try it on a variac at low power and see how the voltages looked. At 40 acv I noticed that C91 was getting very hot? I am 99% sure it has been installed in the same orientation as the original? Any advice on how to check where the issue would be?? I can only assume that that can is shot now too??
I've attached a few pics, maybe something is obvious to the experienced eye with this unit....
Charles

Attachments

• IMG_3231.JPG
    IMG_3231.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3233.JPG
    IMG_3233.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3232.JPG
    IMG_3232.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3234.JPG
    IMG_3234.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 34
I think I may have found my problem? In pic 3233 I believe I may have installed the diodes wrong?? The diode on the left side, the cathode should be tied to the red wire side ???? Can anyone confirm?? Of course this pic is missing from the before shots.....:eek:

The RED Wire from the Transformer gets connected BETWEEN CR6 and CR7, not at the Anode of CR6 like you have it. Also the .01uf cap at the anode of CR6 gets moved to the Cathode of CR6. Right now you got a DEAD SHORT from the TRANSFORMER! Move the Red wire and the lead of the cap to the cathode of CR6. And make damned sure that the terminal that the Cathode of CR6/Anode of CR7 is NOT grounded to the chassis.

Larry

The RED Wire from the Transformer gets connected BETWEEN CR6 and CR7, not at the Anode of CR6 like you have it. Also the .01uf cap at the anode of CR6 gets moved to the Cathode of CR6. Right now you got a DEAD SHORT from the TRANSFORMER! Move the Red wire and the lead of the cap to the cathode of CR6. And make damned sure that the terminal that the Cathode of CR6/Anode of CR7 is NOT grounded to the chassis.

Larry
ok, so that cap will be in the right spot after i put those diodes in the right orientation? Also what are the chances the can cap survived??

Look at the terminal strip. If the ground point (rivet) is on the lower Terminal, move the red lead and the end of the .01 cap to the upper terminal. DO NOT CHANGE ORIENTATION OF DIODES. (See pic. Yellow arrow points to where red wire and cap attach in this scenario.)

If the Ground point is on the UPPER Terminal, then 1.) Reverse the vertical diode, 2.) leave the .01uf cap alone as is, 3.) move the Anode end of the Horizontal DIODE to the lower terminal so it, the cathode of the Vertical diode and the .01uf cap are all on the same terminal.

The RED wire goes to the same place in both scenarios. At the junction of the diodes with the cap attached.

800c PS.jpg

Look at the terminal strip. If the ground point (rivet) is on the lower Terminal, move the red lead and the end of the .01 cap to the upper terminal. DO NOT CHANGE ORIENTATION OF DIODES. (See pic. Yellow arrow points to where red wire and cap attach in this scenario.)

If the Ground point is on the UPPER Terminal, then 1.) Reverse the vertical diode, 2.) leave the .01uf cap alone as is, 3.) move the Anode end of the Horizontal DIODE to the lower terminal so it, the cathode of the Vertical diode and the .01uf cap are all on the same terminal.

The RED wire goes to the same place in both scenarios. At the junction of the diodes with the cap attached.

View attachment 1204624
I gotcha Larry, thanks..

View attachment 1204624
Never ceases to amaze me , how well you know these old Fishers!! Thanks again!

I got a can cap from HH for the power supply in an X202B (2x 1000uf 50V) that was built with polarity backwards. Not sure it would register as a short, but when I powered it up it didn't take long to pop and let the smoke out.

I got a can cap from HH for the power supply in an X202B (2x 1000uf 50V) that was built with polarity backwards. Not sure it would register as a short, but when I powered it up it didn't take long to pop and let the smoke out.
Did they replace that one?

Hi Fuxtor! Nice to see you back in Fisher forum! Didn’t think you’d be back after you sold that 400.

Hi Fuxtor! Nice to see you back in Fisher forum! Didn’t think you’d be back after you sold that 400.
Thanks! I stumbled upon an 800c, so I mean....what was I supposed to do??
:banana:
I got myself a pair of Heresey II to buddy up to it too!!
Anything new in your collection?

HH replaced the can. I actually got two with that problem. They replaced both. I wasted probably two hours dealing with it though

Well got those diodes situated properly now and all seems good. I let the heated can revolt slowly with the variac for a few hours, so hopefully it will hang in there till I can replace it. Got the bias supply sitting at -17v and the old quad of RCA's are only reading 28ma but fairly consistent thru all 4 which is nice.
Next on to the ibam!

Thanks! I stumbled upon an 800c, so I mean....what was I supposed to do??
:banana:
I got myself a pair of Heresey II to buddy up to it too!!
Anything new in your collection?

Got a Marantz 2270 and a 2275 which I have nicknamed “Dusty” and “Rusty”.

How's it sounding? Still have it?? ;)
WOT
Still got it! Working very good still. I had to replace a phase inverter pot, but found a nice set of replacements with blue shafts. Looks cool !
How are you? Been a long time! Still got your Fisher mono blocs?

That's great! Glad it found a good home. We good other than this covid bs. We were out of the country for a few years but back now.
Yes I still have the Fisher 200s. Going to devote some time and $$ on them soon

Back
Top Bottom