Thoughts on Balanced Cables

rocknroll1

I purchased a demo c1100 a few months ago and just added a pair of used 601's from AC's. I am new to higher end equipment and wanted your thoughts on balanced cables. Mike at AC said he a new pair for around $175 that in his opinion was as good as the higher priced ones without big name. I don't want to cheap out on cables after what I spent on equipment but don't want pay more than needed to just get a name. Sorry can't remember the brand. All my other equipment is vintage w/o balanced jacks so not much experience with that. I am not questioning the AC guys because have been very good to work and trust them. What are y'all thoughts on this.

Cable is sometimes likes snake oil. Go to Amazon and buy a pair of Amazonbasics balance cable. The quality is more than good enough.

I initially used some generic unbalanced RCA cables from my DAC to the MX135 and from the MX135 to the MC501's. I switched over to balanced XLR's using Audioquest Cinnamon cables at the suggestion of a friend. My first impression was it sounded the same but the more I listened, the more I heard.

A few years later I decided to upgrade and standardize all my power and interconnect to Wireworld cables, once again at the suggestion of that same friend. I was beginning to think he's an audio upgrade enabler having convinced me to upgrade the pre-amp, DAC & R/L main amps to McIntosh gear prior to the cabling upgrade. However, I digress.

Once I had upgraded the cabling and sat back to really listen I noticed I was hearing even more detail.

Call it snake or or not but I like upgraded cables and I like the balanced XLR connection over the unbalanced RCA connection.

Good luck with your cable upgrades.

AC sold me cables with the preamp I bought from them and they were $20 each. I thought he said they make them in house but the package said Hosa Edge microphone cables.

The most import thing to ensure that a cable is quality is solid connectors with proper/quality terminations. Add that to using the appropriate gauge wire and you'll be fine. I've purchased some expensive boutique cables in my day. However, now I stick with the likes of Belden, Carnare, and Mogami.

PM me your address, and what you need for lengths, and cable count.

I've squirreled away a bunch of Belden 9451, and many Neutrik XLR's.

All cable is 'broken in' as are all connectors.

I'll make the cables personally, using lead free 3% silver solder.

I'm a broadcast engineer, and have been associated with the high-end audio field for many years.

And I'm bored.

I'll make and send you what you need for the price of shipping.

Mike

Post a review of the sound, versus anything else you try. If you like something else better; please post that as well. The cables you receive from me are broadcast television standards for many years, and should serve you well as a control group for more experimentation.

BTW, your cables may be orange; I forgot exactly what I stole.

I'm a broadcast engineer, and have been associated with the high-end audio field for many years.

And I'm bored.

Mike

Post a review of the sound, versus anything else you try. If you like something else better; please post that as well. The cables you receive from me are broadcast television standards for many years, and should serve you well as a control group for more experimentation.

Thanks Mike, PM comming

And I'm bored.

Mike

Wow, Damn good deal there. Take advantage of that!

By the way, Is that your 99-04 Stang? I have a 03 Cobra (currently down) One of these days I have to crawl back under her and finish the job.

Wow, Damn good deal there. Take advantage of that!

By the way, Is that your 99-04 Stang? I have a 03 Cobra (currently down) One of these days I have to crawl back under her and finish the job.

It's a Sonic Blue '03 Cobra on the skidpad at Summit point. I think it had a pulley at that point, it's now got a Whipple set for low-boost for road racing (or constabulary avoidance.)

Also, let's keep this on the down low. I don't need the bottom feeders in this.

Last edited:
It's a Sonic Blue '03 Cobra on the skidpad at Summit point. I think it had a pulley at that point, it's now got a Whipple set for low-boost for road racing (or constabulary avoidance.)

Also, let's keep this on the down low. I don't need the bottom feeders in this.

I'm pulleyed, but I dropped my tank last fall to start my return fuel upgrade beginning with my Fore triple hat (probably only running two for now.) Over the winter (and still) can't decide on blower or turbo(s) I'm into drag racing, so I may lean towards turbo. You can see what I ditched years ago in the pic...
IMG_0271.JPG

Also, you can just say no.............

Back
Top Bottom