Are the Maverick op amps fake?

jberenyi

I recently contacted and have been in communication with a quality U.S. distributor for op amps and we were discussing the upgrade cost of the Maverick DAC upgrade. At only $30 for a total of four OPA627 op amps (2 mounted to each adapter), this would come to $7.50 per chip, and that doesn't include the adapters or the labor to mount them. Unless they have some extremely cheap wholesale source of this component, or are making a loss on this part, I question their authenticity.

Even purchasing 500+ units on Mouser, the unit price is $17.75, which would come to $71 for four. I don't know how they could afford to sell this upgrade for $30! These are not BrownDog adapters either. I contacted Ryan at Maverick and asked if they can send me a copy of the packing slip from their vendor they purchased the OPA627 op amps from. I imagine my request will fall on deaf ears. Just be warned everyone. IMHO I would save your money and put towards a known USA supplier who certifies the chips he sells.

Not too concerned. The improvement you get changing these for Burson V5i-D OPAMPS is nothing short of spectacular. Install sockets and change the OPAMPS ASAP

Not too concerned. The improvement you get changing these for Burson V5i-D OPAMPS is nothing short of spectacular. Install sockets and change the OPAMPS ASAP
Its about time someone commented using the Burson V5i op amps. I may try them someday. But I'm skeptical I will notice any difference.

My company (Gov Contractor) has been involved in a study concerning Chinese components in the Federal Stock system for the past 18 months. Some numbers from that study which has not been finalized. About a 71% chance that they are copies that work but will have a higher failure rate, 35ish% they are out of spec from the get go and about 7% they are straight up counterfeit. As long as the supplier stands behind them then have at it.

Biggest thing we are finding is bad fuses, resistors and diodes, their counterfeit rate is above 30%. (this includes the big names ie: Bussman etc). We have been making our vendors do a "chain of custody" from the manufacture. Hardware (nuts and bolts) are also way out of spec. We have been directed (about 5 months ago) by the Navy "no more Chinese components and hardware" on the stuff I work on.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Its about time someone commented using the Burson V5i op amps. I may try them someday. But I'm skeptical I will notice any difference.

The difference is even greater than tube rolling. More texture to the sound and greater immediacy. It's a difference anyone could hear, provided their system is transparent enough

Mine came with the 627s
I put in the Bursons, I wasn't as wowed.
One became noisy and I swapped them back.
YMMV:dunno:

Back
Top Bottom