eBay C33 purchase

audiobeer

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Those that know me know I will go to great lengths to put together a nice vintage system. After contacting seller that it won’t power up and that it has no fuse seller tells me to take it to A Mcintosh repair center, but it left working perfectly. Wow! Ok EBay step up.

Attachments

• 393C0818-8449-4971-947C-8C19FDB0D1DD.jpeg
    393C0818-8449-4971-947C-8C19FDB0D1DD.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 2FB818DD-365F-49C8-9B49-4F624D0BA0B3.jpeg
    2FB818DD-365F-49C8-9B49-4F624D0BA0B3.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 2EDCF725-FAF1-4566-AD2E-1F216C3EFCCD.jpeg
    2EDCF725-FAF1-4566-AD2E-1F216C3EFCCD.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 136
Fire! Fire! Ouch! Well, if you want to get rid of it, I will buy it from you for a reasonable amount.

I've been through this once before. Once the unit is worked on, the item is considered "altered" and eBay return policy is null & void.

Ebay will not enforce any post-sale promises made by the seller; it can only force the seller to accept a return and refund your money. Do NOT fall into this trap. Request a refund immediately, then escalate the case if the seller is uncooperative.

Fire in a unit is usually terminal as soot is conductive.

Last edited:
A little note here:

Ebay has now started a sneaky trick regarding trying to view SOLD item. If you want to see details of a particular item, you will instead be taken to some other CURRENT auction, sometimes of a completely different model. When to try to look you will see..."The listing you’re looking for is no longer available." Note that the word LISTING is a link. Click on it and you will see the details on the item you are looking for.

When did this auction end?

You'd think they'd know enough that the user is only interested in the details of the sold item. At least they provide a link to the sold item I suppose.

I like that they claim it was working before it shipped.....but doesn't have a fuse. Double check the original ad, because if they listed it for parts/repair, it will make things more difficult. Sorry to hear about this.

Let us know how this works out. If they seller doesn't make this right, post their eBay ID so we can all add them to our block/avoid lists.

Same C33 was sold twice before - under the same terms "Beautiful Working Condition" in the headline but later "AS IS due to age" and apparently that didn't prevent the other buyers from returning it so it shouldn't be an issue for the OP either.

Always a good idea to check "Completed/Sold" listings before buying- for obvious reasons.

"AS IS" / "Sold for parts" does not override statements that unit is in working condition.

"AS IS" / "Sold for parts" does not override statements that unit is in working condition.

This can get tricky depending on how the seller worded the listing. If they use not working/for parts as the official condition description and *never* claimed the item works in the listing, chances are a buyer would be out of luck in that situation.

This can get tricky depending on how the seller worded the listing. If they use not working/for parts as the official condition description and *never* claimed the item works in the listing, chances are a buyer would be out of luck in that situation.

Knowing eBay policy, even that would still be pretty difficult for the seller to get out of. Especially when it's right there in print.

In order for AS IS to stick, no other claims should be made at all. And certainly none that are inaccurate.

Knowing eBay policy, even that would still be pretty difficult for the seller to get out of. Especially when it's right there in print.

In order for AS IS to stick, no other claims should be made at all. And certainly none that are inaccurate.

Trust me...I've seen it all. In my experience a parts/repair declared condition with only the make and model in the description (nothing else) typically equals buyer beware and good luck getting a return.

Trust me...I've seen it all. In my experience a parts/repair declared condition with only the make and model in the description (nothing else) typically equals buyer beware and good luck getting a return.

You cannot use "as is" as a cover for material misstatement and/or misrepresentation. Period. I've been in the car business for over 30 years. I also know a thing or two about what constitutes deceptive advertising.

The same language was used in the description for the same item in two previous listings. If "Sold as is" and "sold for parts/repair" didn't save the seller- not only once, but twice before, it's difficult to understand the rationale behind why it would now. In any case, I would be astonished if eBay does not rule in favor or the OP.

If the OP sends the unit out for repair however, he WILL be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Last edited:
You cannot use "as is" as a cover for material misstatement and/or misrepresentation. Period. I've been in the car business for over 30 years. I also know a thing or two about what constitutes deceptive advertising.

The same language was used in the description for the same item in two previous listings. If "Sold as is" and "sold for parts/repair" didn't save the seller- not only once, but twice before, it's difficult to understand the rationale behind why it would now. In any case, I would be astonished if eBay does not rule in favor or the OP.

You're not following me and I never once referenced the phrase as-is in any of my posts in this thread. I'm specifically referencing item descriptions with virtually no information and an eBay condition rating of for parts/repair.

I do hope this issue is resolved and I expect that it will be. The above is a caution. Check the official condition and avoid listings that have zilch for the item description.

Those that know me know I will go to great lengths to put together a nice vintage system. After contacting seller that it won’t power up and that it has no fuse seller tells me to take it to A Mcintosh repair center, but it left working perfectly. Wow! Ok EBay step up.
File a claim. "Not as described". *Period*
Put in a call to E Bay. It is better to verbally describe what has happened, since nuance can be lost in a few paragraphs.

Last edited:
Sorry man. I've had good luck using the Ebay resolution center. Request a return and state it as DOA. Ebay should step up for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had any problems with Ebay as a seller. As a buyer this was my 1st "Really Fraudulent' buy. Seller listed as in beautiful condition and 1 owner. Stated it was recently bench tested. I'm HOPING Ebay will handle this properly. It just makes me sick. 62caddy was 100% correct and I was so close to sending it to Mcintosh but as 62caddy and Ebay told me it would have voided any effort to recover my funds. That's what the seller wanted me to do. Ebay tells me they are giving him 5 days for a return label or they will refund me my money. I'm hoping as I really don't want to answer to my wife on buying this LOL

Yep, get your money back and get the C34V on offer here, I have bought most of my Mc gear off forum members, a winner every time!!

Back
Top Bottom