New Grado Black2

Can't believe they're still shipping these defective cartridges. They've had since late last year to fix the problem. :thumbsdown:
It is hard to believe that Grado would ship a non-working cartridge. Their website says:

HAND-BUILT IN USA WITH 100% QUALITY CONTROL
Each individual cartridge manufactured by Grado is hand assembled and tested for frequency response, channel output, channel balance, phase linearity, inductance and resistance.

I have to believe that they are somehow being damaged in the shipment and handling they go through as they arrive at a retailer and then are moved on to a customer. There have certainly been enough videos on the internet showing that not all carriers handle packages with care.

So I sent the defective cart back to Grado, which they received on Friday, and today (Wednesday) the replacement arrived - that’s fast! The coils both measure 675 ohms, spot on.

I just got it mounted on the BIC 960 that I bought it for, and I’m about halfway through the first LP side, so any evaluations are premature.

At this early stage, I’m definitely hearing a very meaty midrange, suppressed but not dull treble, and tight, punchy bass.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
I have owned a few Grado cartridges over the years. I am glad they are still around. Glad they offer products at a very reasonable price. Now with Shure out of the cartridge business, I guess that just leaves Grado for USA mainstream cartridges. I consider SoundSmith more esoteric than mainstream.

So I sent the defective cart back to Grado, which they received on Friday, and today (Wednesday) the replacement arrived - that’s fast! The coils both measure 675 ohms, spot on.

I just got it mounted on the BIC 960 that I bought it for, and I’m about halfway through the first LP side, so any evaluations are premature.

At this early stage, I’m definitely hearing a very meaty midrange, suppressed but not dull treble, and tight, punchy bass.

Stay tuned...

How about I send you a NIB Black-1 to compare it to? maybe some clips of the two?

Slightly on topic here, I removed a Shure cart from my main turntable, due unmanaged DIY-itis (ordered a paradox pulse for a Shure sc35c), and re-mounted a Grado blue that I previously potted with epoxy and longhorned, with a retipped .2X.7 stylus from Needestein. What a nice sounding cartridge. Voices really come to the forefront and that Grado warmth and sweetness make themselves known.

I'm into the Shure house sound of late, but it sure is nice that Grado is still here making these great and economical carts for us. I'm happily spinning records today with this Grado.

Slightly on topic here, I removed a Shure cart from my main turntable, due unmanaged DIY-itis (ordered a paradox pulse for a Shure sc35c), and re-mounted a Grado blue that I previously potted with epoxy and longhorned, with a retipped .2X.7 stylus from Needestein. What a nice sounding cartridge. Voices really come to the forefront and that Grado warmth and sweetness make themselves known.

I'm into the Shure house sound of late, but it sure is nice that Grado is still here making these great and economical carts for us. I'm happily spinning records today with this Grado.

Coincidentally, I had been enjoying a Shure M91ED with a cheap-but-excellent EVG stylus, and really enjoyed that as well. The presentation is different vs. the Grado, but both are very nice. Fortunately I have a BIC headshell for each, and can swap them with ease.

It definitely has a warmer character than the Signature 8 carts I have, but the difference is not unpleasant. It’s very lush.
Dear Beatcomber are you thinking to fit the black 2-body with the 8MZ stylus that you are using on the Signature 8? It should be a very interesting comparison.

@beatcomber , I would also like to hear your comparison.

What I think I am reading here is the Prestige-2 sounds more like the older, and dare I say better, Grado's then the current Prestige -1 line.

I have practically no experience with the Prestige1 series, so I can't offer any comparisons there.

My benchmarks are the early '80s Signature models, which are extraordinary. I presently own a Signature MCZ, 8M, and 8MR, and Marc has let me play with a few other top-tier Grados from the late '70s-early '80s. I also own a ZC+ (= Green) that I bought new in the early '90s, and while I haven't spent much time with it in years, I recall it sounded pretty dark.

I've been listening exclusively to the Black2 on the BIC for the past few days, and the sound is becoming more balanced as it breaks in. The top end is suppressed by not especially rolled off, so it sounds buttery. Bass is deep/full, but a little loose, although I don't know how much the BIC is influencing this. The mids are its real strong suit, and the midrange bloom and lushness is what makes this such an enjoyable cartridge.

Imaging is starting to come into focus as it breaks in.

I haven't experienced any tracking issues, even on the inner grooves, and it does not hum on the BIC.

I have practically no experience with the Prestige1 series, so I can't offer any comparisons there.

My benchmarks are the early '80s Signature models, which are extraordinary. I presently own a Signature MCZ, 8M, and 8MR, and Marc has let me play with a few other top-tier Grados from the late '70s-early '80s. I also own a ZC+ (= Green) that I bought new in the early '90s, and while I haven't spent much time with it in years, I recall it sounded pretty dark.

I've been listening exclusively to the Black2 on the BIC for the past few days, and the sound is becoming more balanced as it breaks in. The top end is suppressed by not especially rolled off, so it sounds buttery. Bass is deep/full, but a little loose, although I don't know how much the BIC is influencing this. The mids are its real strong suit, and the midrange bloom and lushness is what makes this such an enjoyable cartridge.

I haven't experienced any tracking issues, even on the inner grooves, and it does not hum on the BIC.

I know what you have and read your posts all the time.

I have a Signature 8MX with MCZ stylus. Also have a GF-1+ and it is excellent. I have heard the Prestige Black-1 w/ 8MZ stylus and I prefer the vintage Grado bodies (ok, I admit the Black is entry level but the stylus is not).

Last edited:

cartridge is shipping out today.

I have a Signature 8MX with MCZ stylus. Also have a GF-1+ and it is excellent. I have heard the Prestige Black-1 w/ 8MZ stylus and I prefer the vintage Grado bodies (ok, I admit the Black is entry level but the stylus is not).
In fact it will be really interesting to compare a new prestige 2 body with oldest ones through 8MZ stylus that is surely a very revealing one. Theorically it will be able to tell to the listener if the new prestige 2 line is really near to the old bodies.

In fact it will be really interesting to compare a new prestige 2 body with oldest ones through 8MZ stylus that is surely a very revealing one. Theorically it will be able to tell to the listener if the new prestige 2 line is really near to the old bodies.

That's exactly what I have in mind... Black 1 and 2 with native styli vs. with 8MZ stylus vs. Signature 8M. I may even throw the ZC+ into the mix.

At any rate, the new Black2 on my BIC is sounding very nice. It's a helluva nice cart for $75, although its lush presentation may not appeal to everyone, and that's fine. But what it does well, it does REALLY well. The music envelopes the listener like a warm bath with this Grado, and it has that classic Grado depth of soundstage that many of us like.

Back
Top Bottom