2018 Editors' Choice Awards: Power Amplifiers $3,000 - $6,000

joeinid

McIntosh MC275
$5500
The sixth version of this most classic of all McIntosh amplifiers is by far the best, boasting greater tonal neutrality yet without losing the beautifully solid, rounded, dimensional, and natural musicality of its tube origins. Thanks to improvements in the transformers, distortion and noise are far lower than ever, bandwidth higher, dynamic range wider, transparency greater, and transient response better than ever. At 75Wpc (though 90 is typical), the 275 has virtually all the power PS needs, but for those who want more, it’s strappable to 150W. Whether used alone or with the C22 preamplifier, the MC275 makes utterly fabulous music and its traditional looks make it, like the C22, a feast for the eyes as well as the ears.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2018-editors-choice-awards-power-amplifiers-3000-6000/

18007A16-94E4-409D-BC0E-42A56C0A0D4E.png

Last edited:
I think owning an MC275 is a rite of passage for any Mc enthusiast. I owned an original, outfitted with Genelax KT88s and restored to spec in the 90s. At the time, I also had a pair of MC240s. The MC275 is really an iconic power amplifier - reliability, design and SQ - by any standards.

It's so nice to see McIntosh has continually refined it over the years.

I was auditioning some Magico S5 speakers a couple of years ago. The first day 2301's then the second day 601's and a 275. The lower mids are a weak point with the s5. The S5 do well with the 2301's but are a flop with 601's being to bright and clarinet double reed instruments in the lower mids being just wrong. But surprise surprise the little 275 almost made the S5 enjoyable. We were listening at 12 watt levels with the 2301's and 601's and assume appox the same level with thew 275. There was plenty of smooth highs in the top two octaves and the bass below 70 hz was firm and solid. The area between 125 and 400 where the S5 have issues really improved with the 275. They are 4 ohm speakers with dips into the 2+ ohm range, but the little 275 never had an issue. When I bought my 275's they were the biggest amp Mac made. But the 3500 soon followed. If I had known what they would be worth today I would have bought two and then added 2 more when I saw the benefits of bi-amping. I really didn't need the power of.the 3500. 450+ watts was a lot of power in the late 60's. A 3500 put out the loudest 35 watts indicated I have ever heard.

McIntosh has made many changes to this unit over the years. Sound has improved A lot.Wonder how many Transformers and Autoformers I have potted in the 20 years I have been pouring ???

Back
Top Bottom