McIntosh C47, turned it on AND all hell broke loose!

ericleehall

Static, hissing, scratching .... pegged my Amp meters (Mc7300)...

Turned it off, and on a few times...same thing......on EVERY channel...

Re-Updated the Firmware to 1.0.4 (which I had done a week or so ago), and the problem seems to have gone away...

If this had happened at high volume it probably would have fried my Wilson WATT/Puppys.....

I've only had this preamp for about 2 weeks, (from AudioClassics) so I can return or exchange it.....

Should I?

Absolutely!

Re-Updated the Firmware to 1.0.4 (which I had done a week or so ago), and the problem seems to have gone away...

If this had happened at high volume it probably would have fried my Wilson WATT/Puppys.....

I've only had this preamp for about 2 weeks, (from AudioClassics) so I can return or exchange it.....

Should I?
Absolutely! Contact them first, of course.

Dont mess with it yourself, you'll void the warranty, get it back to them, something has obviously failed.....

Should I?
100% YES, RETURN and exchange, if that is what you wish. This should not happen on a new McIntosh.

I just sent my c47 in today. It did the same thing. I'm using a mc352 with Martin Logan odysseys. It acted up last week, i shut it off and then worked fine the next day. I was listening today and the s!@t went crazy and I ran to shut it down, plugged in my other preamp and all was fine. I went to FedEx and sent it off. I have nothing but great things to say about audio classics as they said they will make it right. I believe they have made me a repeat customer and my next purchase will be with them. Stuff breaks down, it just sucks cause I had a couple days off

AudioClassics as predicted did make it right, and covered all the shipping etc.... I upgraded to a C52, and am especially glad of that given the post above.... and yeah, I do miss it, as I had some free time as well for listening... I am excited to receive the c52...
I have other stereos tho, and had fun with those.

The above post from Dc83 makes me wonder if this might be a firmware issue with the C47, as I just upgraded mine to 1.0.4 from 1.0.1 ... Dc83 did you recently upgrade your firmware on your C47?

No sir, I had just upgraded from a c46 to the c47. It was a b1 unit and I had it for maybe a month. I'm not sure if it had the latest firmware or not. I definitely thought similar when I read your post so I replied with my issue.

Back
Top Bottom