I Regressed And Bought A New Watch

After wearing the Orient for a few weeks, I ended up selling it. I just dont care for watches with numbers on the face so out it went. I still wanted something with a blue face so I decided the "Sea Urchin" Seiko 5. Usually Seiko 5s are smaller than what I wear (around 37mm) but the SU has the bigger 41mm case and has the upgrade hackable 7S36 movement. I also love the black day and date wheel. I have several mesh and Jubilee bracelets so I ordered it with the wretched rubber strap and changed it when I got it. The 5 Sports does not have a screw down crown but has the clear case back so it has a 100WR instead of 200WR. It is a bit less chunky than the 007 so it is a nice change.
34534749_1927888113897793_4632533411725049856_n.jpg

Damn BodyBlue, :bowdown::bowdown:I feel like a rookie compared to you in the wristwatch count. I only have 27 Seiko watches I have bought over the last 40 years (I still have all of them). All of them operate like the day I bought them. And all of them are all non-digital.

Damn BodyBlue, :bowdown::bowdown:I feel like a rookie compared to you in the wristwatch count. I only have 27 Seiko watches I have bought over the last 40 years (I still have all of them). All of them operate like the day I bought them. And all of them are all non-digital.

LOL thanks but you actually are in the lead now! I sold all but 5 or six now. One day I was totally a watch nut and the next day I looked at my watch collection and said "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot am I doing with all of these??" I still have 20 or 30 parts units etc with probably 70 or 80 straps and bracelets and assorted odds and ends. My wife has about 20 that she wears, mostly Bulova and Seiko.

I really, really like the Sea Urchin 5 I got last week. A great size and looks really sharp. I love divers.

Love that Sea Urchin 5. Great value.

I picked up an Oyster band for my Seiko SKX007. Dresses it up a bit and is great for summer swimming, kayaking, and surfing. There are less expensive bands, but from what I read, QC was sketchy, so I went with a sure thing with the "MILTAT" band. Will go back to the leather strap in the Fall for the rugged Robert Redford look.

Oyster.jpeg

Love that Sea Urchin 5. Great value.

I picked up an Oyster band for my Seiko SKX007. Dresses it up a bit and is great for summer swimming, kayaking, and surfing. There are less expensive bands, but from what I read, QC was sketchy, so I went with a sure thing with the "MILTAT" band. Will go back to the leather strap in the Fall for the rugged Robert Redford look.

View attachment 1209499

I bought my 007 with the Jubilee since I had always used oyster bracelets and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I have had great luck with solid link oyster bracelets from sellers on eBay, all under $25. I like both the Jubilee and Oysters but I really like the heavy mesh straps the best for the simple reason that they can be adjusted for perfect comfort. I have found a few vendors on eBay that sell them in both black and silver (and even gold) for under $10.........really nice quality as well.

I'm already liking this particular thread and I am going to add my $0.02 along with it.

Like the original poster, I also have a love for wrist watch'es (more like timepieces if you will). Difference is, I've always liked them ever since I was a kid.

As I became an adult I started collecting a few timepieces and well as we all know things can get out of hand pretty quickly (like my audio collecting!).

At one time I had over 40 watches in a my collection and well now I am down to approximately around half that number.

Here are a few pictures of some of my small but humble watch collection. There are a few others that I still keep in their original box.

Watch Collection.jpg

These three timepieces are from Bernhardt watch maker (located in High Point, NC).
They are the "Officers Watch" collection. I like all three styles so I bought all three.

Bernhardt Officers Watch.jpg

Here is my classic Meistersinger No. 01 !
IMG_3561.jpg IMG_3563.jpg IMG_3562.jpg

This is my Wempe Zeitsmeister Chronometer that I purchased as a retirement gift to myself.
I love it!

IMG_3573.jpg IMG_3574.jpg IMG_3575.jpg

Here is a classic Steinhart "El Capitan" timepiece with it's unique and distinctive "onion" crown design.

IMG_3664.jpg IMG_3665.jpg

Oh yes! :D

Doesn't surprise me really that members here would also have an affinity for watches, too. LOL

I've been into them since I was a kid, but only more recently, like the last 10-12 years or so was I actually able to afford a 'collection'.

Many were bought as little investments that I could wear in the meantime (plus feed my addiction to watches ;) ). We're not talking high dollar investments like real estate or art or whatever, but more like just a little something that could be easily sold online and shipped in the event of a cash emergency.

Only two are ones that I claim as 'my own'. The others are mine, but I won't be heartbroken if sold.

First is my Seiko Diver like I see a few of you have.

43582753.jpg
1ed0865c.jpg

I have the original Seiko plastic dive strap, but when I found this bracelet online that even had the curved metal pieces to fit the square cushion case, I had to have it. I think it completes the watch. Together, that watch weighs a ton! LOL

The other 'My' watch is an old Rado DiaStar 1. I can remember seeing advertisements in magazines for this style Rado when I was a kid, and have always wanted one. Treated myself to a nice one maybe 10 years ago. It has been my daily ever since. Unfortunately one night not too long ago while I was getting ready to head out for the night, the wristband pin let go and the watch fell to the floor, narrowly missing 48 square feet of brown shag, instead landing squarely on the tile floor. Yes, that's 'my crack' in the ceramic bezel between 8 and 9. :( I've got an alert search saved over on eBay in the event this style of replacement bezel ever pops up. Of all the watches I own, that 25 jewel auto is the most accurate timekeeper - It'll match the seconds to my iPhone clock for a few days before slowly drifting.

e3b69c84.jpg
78109f00.jpg

As you can see from the box it's on, another brand I'm into is Zodiac, and have been a longtime member over at Butch's vintage Zodiac site. Those old Zodiacs seem to have some pretty nice Swiss movements in them and most are pretty good looking.

Some have been sold over the years, but a few remain. In fact, one is boxed up and ready to ship out to California for an overhaul - my white dial SeaWolf Diver.

df0fc060.jpg
0cbecab8.jpg
132b1be0.jpg

It has its original metal bracelet (which all links expand/contract, which is a rarity) plus a NOS curved-end white Tropic strap I lucked into on eBay a while back to kinda go with the white dial. Also a great timekeeper, but it's past due for its service. Should be back on my wrist in a few weeks.

Don't want to overload the thread with pics, so I'll pause there for the moment. I'll add some more of others soon.

Cheers!

My grandfather purchased this Rolex Datejust Thunderbird (bezel) in 1967 in Switzerland. He died a few years later and my dad wore this for years. I've owned it for about 20 years. I recently had it cleaned, etc. by a local cat who trained at the Rolex factory in Switzerland. I use a winder to keep it healthy. Comfortable Rolex USA Jubilee bracelet. Still waterproof. I like the thinner styling of these vintage Rolex watches.

Rolex.jpeg

Last edited:
My grandfather purchased this Rolex Datejust Thunderbird (bezel) in 1967 in Switzerland. He died a few years later and my dad wore this for years. I've owned it for about 20 years. I recently had it cleaned, etc. by a local cat who trained at the Rolex factory in Switzerland. I use a winder to keep it healthy. Comfortable Rolex USA Jubilee bracelet. Still waterproof. I like the thinner styling of these vintage Rolex watches.

View attachment 1209584
Nice.

I'm chuckling about the "rugged Robert Redford look."

Murray

Here are a couple of pictures of my Maratac watch with it's nylon strap.

I like the fact that it's design is based on vintage WWII aircraft panel instruments.

I liked this watch so much that I bought two of them (well really the second one was at such a good deal on the price that I couldn't pass it up).

(I also bought one for my wife which is the exact same design though it's smaller in diameter. More for a woman to wear)

IMG_3697.jpg IMG_3706.jpg

The lume on this watch is fantastic. This picture doesn't really show it's justice on the lume though.
IMG_3705.jpg

Last edited:
Redford wears a Rolex Submariner in The Candidate, but if Jeremiah Johnson wore a watch, it would have to have a rugged, manly leather strap.

tumblr_m72x1y8ixI1rqk17io1_1280_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqShcxTtqy8BcNnV0vglsHeI3EObcHCiD8E3NjCRrMGII.jpg
Setting aside the timing of Jeremiah/wrist watch issue, indeed, it would have to have a leather band. Maybe bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) leather.

Murray

View attachment 1209584

Never heard of a Thunderbird until I saw your post. I rather like it. Servicing them makes them buttery smooth again.

Is this the new Jubilee bracelet you were after?

My Grandfather had Omegas, so I've continued that tradition. My Mum is wearing his old Omega.

Never heard of a Thunderbird until I saw your post. I rather like it. Servicing them makes them buttery smooth again.

Is this the new Jubilee bracelet you were after?

That jubilee was purchased sometime in the 70s by my dad.

I had a part that was rubbing the case back on my Rolex that was replaced. Super smooth now. Pop open the back and the manufacture date is right there.

Back
Top Bottom