Anthony Bourdain Suicide...WTF!

Thanks, but my parents taught me how to be nice to others, regardless of what country I may find myself in.
You know, its really not about you ...
as much as we love you here, you are not any kind of international "star"

You know, its really not about you ...
as much as we love you here, you are not any kind of international "star"

Someone made it about others when they proclaimed that he taught Americans...

His death is no more sad than all the ordinary citizens that have committed suicide.

Any suicide saddens me - I lost a dear friend a few years back who struggled with other issues after a bad stroke -
5 years later after the stroke he decided to stop the struggle.
Death ends a conversation you were not finished with.

Someone made it about others when they proclaimed that he taught Americans...
His death is no more sad than all the ordinary citizens that have committed suicide.

read it again, thats NOT what he posted -
It wasn't that he "Taught" americans, it said he presented a model for how americans could act in the world - thats different.

>> "...Bourdain presented a model of how Americans could act in the world: open-minded, always curious, and unafraid to sometimes look ridiculous."

Its not that its more sad, its that more pople are aware of it than are aware of my friend's death.
Doesn't make it nobler or less noble - just means more were affected.

Very much a surprise. As one person I know put it he seemed too confident and sure of himself for that.

I always figured he lived an interesting life but I hadn't read this one before
https://explorepartsunknown.com/berlin/trying-to-keep-up-with-berlins-nightlife/

You never can tell what is going on inside someone's mind. But at the same time the last two paragraphs in the story he wrote in the link may be telling.

I've often thought that as a society we come together over the celebrity tragedies as way to work out the sorrow over all the individual tragedies that happen every day. If we paused and contemplated every loss that happens it would be overwhelming but at the same time never dealing with the feelings would also be. I guess it is a bit like a kind of a group therapy session.

Can't say that I followed his series, but my wife sure did.

When she heard the sad news, she was on the verge of tears as she enjoyed his take on the world in the way of the different foods, cultures, ways of life and just life in general. My wife likes little in what TV offers, so this effected me in turn to see her saddened so.

I respect people like Mr. Bordain who can put a positive spin to others making their lives that much better. My wife lost a friend he never knew he had.

RIP

Q

It's horrific enough to be in the state of mind of conjuring up ways to kill oneself, perhaps more horrible than actually doing it.
The tragedy in this is that Bourdain was a person who literally had the world at his fingertips, compared to those who have comparatively little to live for and suicide as an alternative.

Terrible news....this gent was very cool...I wish I could have hung out with him. So saddened by this. He touched many people as a result of his genuine spirit.

It's horrific enough to be in the state of mind of conjuring up ways to kill oneself, perhaps more horrible than actually doing it.
The tragedy in this is that Bourdain was a person who literally had the world at his fingertips, compared to those who have comparatively little to live for and suicide as an alternative.

That is the shocking part. That kind of darkness doesn't know the bounds of station or opportunities. I'm guessing the person in that situation thinks they have rationalized and reasoned the situation out to its only outcome. We see him as someone that could have at that moment been doing pretty much anything else anywhere in the world that he desired and yet all he saw was the one escape that those of all means and ability see at that moment.

All this talk of depression and life stresses that lead to suicide but I haven't read anywhere where he was depressed or exhibiting any behavior that tends towards suicide. In everything I find he had found ground, came to terms with life, was fairly newly marriaged and a young daughter, he expressed words of being blessed and having reason to live. I know... it's said that might have been him hiding, or outward expressions of him trying to cope... but it didn't read that way to me... my opinion. I've been around suicide, besides having family involved professionally in the 'community', private PhD, Dr. to many... had my very close friend and wife, a kind hearted sweet person by any definition, kill herself by placing a gun to her head. Bourdain hung himself...that's all I've read, no details what so ever, not even a recent profile of his life, just that he hung himself in the isolation of an apartment. What am I suggesting... nothing really, but it does seem strange, out of sorts, the method and what seems to me shallow reporting. He was not a loser and was at the top of his long and varied career, loved and respected by millions.. in much the same way as Kanye West, respected and loved by millions around the world, a very famous person at the top of his career. I don't get it so with an open heart and spirit, consider this strange world... and I wonder...

Any suicide saddens me - I lost a dear friend a few years back who struggled with other issues after a bad stroke -
5 years later after the stroke he decided to stop the struggle.
Death ends a conversation you were not finished with.

I thought it was not about you and me.

read it again, thats NOT what he posted -
It wasn't that he "Taught" americans, it said he presented a model for how americans could act in the world - thats different.

“Taught”, “presented”, I don’t want get into a semantics argument.

>> "...Bourdain presented a model of how Americans could act in the world: open-minded, always curious, and unafraid to sometimes look ridiculous."

A bit presumptuous in his part, eh?

Its not that its more sad, its that more pople are aware of it than are aware of my friend's death.
Doesn't make it nobler or less noble - just means more were affected.

Again, I thought it was not about us.

The overall rise is suicide nationwide is about 25% in the last 30 years.

It means that around 16 out of every 100,000 Americans will take their own life.

In 2016 alone 45,000 Americans took their own life.

And here on AK I read yet another thread where folks argue & bicker over absolutely nothing of matter.

I never heard of the guy. But I cut the cord like ten years ago. I did see his tanned, silver-haired mug recently in the break room at work where they pipe in CNN. He was eating and showed no outward signs of depression. RIP.

Back
Top Bottom