Best integrated amp under $1000?

Wow...that A5 is a beast. Handsome amp too.
250 wpc is too much for my needs. I live in an apartment. I'm currently using my vintage 100 wpc Sansui. With my external phono preamp set at 46 db, and the Sansui with a volume dial of 30. I rarely put it as high as 5.
That being said, there are some good deals on the musical fidelity m2si. It's 76 wpc. Has preamp output in case things change down the road. Do you have any thoughts on this amp?
I don't have any experience with that model, maybe someone else could chime in. But dont be afraid of having more power, it's been my experience that a high current amp can create a fuller sound at low volumes than most less powerful amps.

If you join Barter Town there is a nice Marantz 8005 for a good price listed right now. No affiliation.

Head Tech,
Can't help you since I have not heard a Yamaha amp in a long time.
FWIW I liked the ones I had in the 80s. :)

I understand that but alot of the time they go hand in hand especially in the solid state world.

Very rarely IME and from looking at amplifier measurements.

Low power amps can be high current and have a full sound at low volumes, as always it depends on the design. :)

For less than $1k, I recommend a Schiit Saga preamp $350, and an Emotiva BasXA300 amp $400. I have that combination.

Hate to plug my own setup, buuuuut...

I'm really loving my Yaqin MC13S paired with a Little Bear T11 phono pre. That gets close to your budget, but does not account for a quality set of tubes to roll in, as the stock Chinese tubes are less than thrilling. Depending on your tastes, that can run around $200+

The Vincent SV 500 Hybrid Integrated Amp is under $1000, and has the advantage (according to some, myself included) of vacuum tubes in the preamp stage. I've been using one of their SV 226 Mkii hybrid integrated amps for years and really like the sound. YMMV of course, but I offer it as one possibility in the spectrum of neat integrated amps. Good luck with the search!

NAD is my go-to brand when people ask about a new integrated for $1k. I agree about keeping the DAC and streaming sources separate from the amplifier; much easier to upgrade as money and new features allow.

I second the NAD brand if you want quality audio on a budget. I have an amazing little amp the NAD D3020 that was everyone's favorite budget amp a few years ago but there are NAD amps to choose from.

I also have a Schitt Sage preamp and a NuForce STA 200. Sounds amazing. You can still get the Nuforce on the auction site for a good price. If you are looking vintage a Hafler 200 or 220 would fit the bill nicely.

Back
Top Bottom