Today's "Rap/ Hip Hop" Playlist

Yeah, bought this new on vinyl when it first came out; these guys were from around my haunts, Long Island, NY, and I was smitten, like every other suburban kid at the time, with the video to "Me, Myself and I." Playing this album, now years later, I don't really see what all the hoopla was about save for their fresh attempt at a new vision for the genre (no more gold chains, the whole this-is-the-hippie-answer-to-rap angle, etc.); most of the filler for this LP was just plain crap in retrospect, and the album itself was way too long to be crammed onto one piece of vinyl. The sound quality is pretty horrid with ridiculously low overall mastering levels. My copy, also, unfortunately, has some damage throughout which makes certain tracks skip all over the place.

There were some underrated gems on here, though -- "L.I.F.E.," "Ghetto Thang," et al.

I never really cared for Tommy Boy's vinyl output -- and I have a LOT of stuff on vinyl from this label from being a DJ years ago (rap from acts like Naughty by Nature, Digital Underground and De La plus freestyle from acts like TKA); to my ear, they never pressed their vinyl right.

Hmm. I dunno. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor, but I was floored when it came out, and I'm still blown away today. The skits are a little annoying but other than that, I still love it all. I had it on CD from its release day, then found a perfect used copy on LP about a year and a half ago, albeit surely a recent reissue.

Hmm. I dunno. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor, but I was floored when it came out, and I'm still blown away today. The skits are a little annoying but other than that, I still love it all. I had it on CD from its release day, then found a perfect used copy on double LP about a year and a half ago, albeit surely a recent reissue.
Yeah i grabbed a reissue few years back spread over 2 vinyls

Fellas,

The only way to listen to this album is either via the two-LP reissue(s) or CD. The original LP release was WAY too compressed given the overall album length; I mean, all you have to do is look at the groove spacing patterns on the original LP to see how densely packed the tracks are.

Fellas,

The only way to listen to this album is either via the two-LP reissue(s) or CD. The original LP release was WAY too compressed given the overall album length; I mean, all you have to do is look at the groove spacing patterns on the original LP to see how densely packed the tracks are.

Welp. I guess then I'm glad I gots me both the 2xLP and the CD! ;) If you dislike it so much, why do you play it?

Welp. I guess then I'm glad I gots me both the 2xLP and the CD! ;) If you dislike it so much, why do you play it?

I don't "dislike it so much;" I bought it brand new when it first came out, as I said, and haven't played it up until very recently when I decided to give my hip-hop vinyl collection a deep cleaning and revisit to relive some better times from years passed. Some LPs, as I have discussed with KD in this thread, have thrown me for a proverbial loop when I played them back recently as I had moments of "what was I thinking?" when the artist was particularly bad (MC Shy-D and Rob Base on his second album are good examples). Some albums just don't resonate with me anymore as they once did when I was in junior high and high school when they debuted.

I don't keep playing 3 Feet High and Rising over and over again as you may think; I played it for the first time the other day since giving the record a cleaning some months back, and I was reminded that I didn't really care for the album from a modern perspective. I DO respect the work for what it was, and there's no doubt that the album deserves a place in the old school hall of fame as a classic.

Also, yes -- it's a known fact that the album had FAR too many tracks to cram onto one LP, as originally executed by Tommy Boy; I don't know of anyone who bought this album in its original vinyl form who disagreed with this and found the LP "stunning" or even "enjoyable" with regard to sonics...

Last edited:
OK. Thanks.

I find that true about many albums I've owned for a long time, even (especially) things that are so-called classics. I'm not sure if it's that these things become dated sounded, or if it's that the listener grows beyond it, so to speak, or some combination of these things. I recently purged my collection of a lot of records that I simply could not stand to listen to anymore, things that some people might be aghast that I let go -- but it helped finance new directions in my music listening that I might not have otherwise been able to easily afford.

So yeah... I feel yah. ;)

As for the original issue, I have no doubt what you're saying is true. I never saw it on an original LP release, but then again, this was when, and at least in my neck of the woods then, LPs of new releases were becoming a bit scarce.

Last edited:
OK. Thanks.

I find that true about many albums I've owned for a long time, even (especially) things that are so-called classics. I'm not sure if it's that these things become dated sounded, or if it's that the listener grows beyond it, so to speak, or some combination of these things. I recently purged my collection of a lot of records that I simply could not stand to listen to anymore, things that some people might be aghast that I let go -- but it helped finance new directions in my music listening that I might not have otherwise been able to easily afford.

So yeah... I feel yah. ;)

As for the original issue, I have no doubt what you're saying is true. I never saw it on an original LP release, but then again, this was when, and at least in my neck of the woods then, LPs of new releases were becoming a bit scarce.

Indeed, I can totally relate; SAME thing with certain favorite films of mine -- as an AVID DVD and Blu-ray collector (and film lover), I have a ton of discs in my video library that just don't resonate with me anymore, no matter how hard I try. Revenge of the Nerds is a good example -- when I was growing up, this was a taboo-ish title that always made me crack up in certain spots (much like Porky's), but when I bought and watched the DVD (The "Panty Raid Version" no less!!) it just didn't make me laugh like it once did. My wife goes through the same thing with many of her favorite films, like 9 to 5...

You know what it's called my friend?

Has it ever been remaster?

Soul,

See the link I provided to that thread in the Hoffman forums; Rhino/Warner reissued this on two LPs some time ago, and I think it was remastered (though some fans still say the album doesn't sound right because of all of Prince Paul's sampling on it).

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030: The Instrumentals

Cover.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9154

OutKast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik

Cover.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi