Today's INDIE Playlist

Not college but you can take it out for a spin, crash helmet recommended for daytime propaganda.
https://www.kcrw.com/playlists
It looks like a college (Santa Monica College) "hosts" the station - but it's top heavy with NPR content. I hear you about the propaganda. Yesterday I was listening to a station in Washington State (perhaps KUGS - Western Washington U) and this old coot shuffles into the studio and practically screeches the news. Whew! I use this cool linux app called "Gradio" so it's easy to jump to another stored station.

I've been listening to this feed for several hours and it's been all decent tunes with no propaganda:

Melody's Echo Chamber - Breathe In, Breathe Out

KCRW-HD2 - "Eclectic 24" - Santa Monica College - California

I'm gonna have to update the links list.

Last edited:
BJMMetro.jpg

BJM Sydney Metro Saturday 9th of June.

It was a good gig. Not a great gig but a good gig. Anton can be a bit prickly when things don't go his way, so there were a couple of song restarts when the band didn't get in his groove. He hates hecklers and had one booted out. One of the roadies got a bollocking. He also had the whole crowd offside at one stage with some comments about Sydney. Anyway all was forgiven when he started playing again. He was pretty chuffed with two sellout gigs in Sydney. The best way I can put it......there was tension and I suppose from tension sometimes come good things.

I wasn't the eldest in the crowd by a long shot. There were a lot of us grey hairs in there. So the crowd was aged 18- their 70's.

The music was great and the band have their chops right, ranging from lovely jangly pop to full aural psychedelic feedback assault. The drummer suits the band well.

There were some newer songs I hadn't heard but had that BJM feel about it. And there were a couple of their favourites. Servo, Anenome, That Girl Suicide, Who?, If Love is the Drug, Nevertheless, Nailing Honey to the Bee and Wisdom. Wisdom (I think) finished up the gig with screaming swirling feedback, then each guitarist exiting and leaving their guitar with feedback on stage. Anton remained on stage fiddling with them getting all sorts of choppy effects. That was amazing.

So, a good gig where everyone left happy. I saw Anton's tweet after the gig and he returned to an empty hotel room expecting a party with a bathtub full of beer and no-one turned up.

View attachment 1208250

BJM Sydney Metro Saturday 9th of June.

It was a good gig. Not a great gig but a good gig. Anton can be a bit prickly when things don't go his way, so there were a couple of song restarts when the band didn't get in his groove. He hates hecklers and had one booted out. One of the roadies got a bollocking. He also had the whole crowd offside at one stage with some comments about Sydney. Anyway all was forgiven when he started playing again. He was pretty chuffed with two sellout gigs in Sydney. The best way I can put it......there was tension and I suppose from tension sometimes come good things.

I wasn't the eldest in the crowd by a long shot. There were a lot of us grey hairs in there. So the crowd was aged 18- their 70's.

The music was great and the band have their chops right, ranging from lovely jangly pop to full aural psychedelic feedback assault. The drummer suits the band well.

There were some newer songs I hadn't heard but had that BJM feel about it. And there were a couple of their favourites. Servo, Anenome, That Girl Suicide, Who?, If Love is the Drug, Nevertheless, Nailing Honey to the Bee and Wisdom. Wisdom (I think) finished up the gig with screaming swirling feedback, then each guitarist exiting and leaving their guitar with feedback on stage. Anton remained on stage fiddling with them getting all sorts of choppy effects. That was amazing.

So, a good gig where everyone left happy. I saw Anton's tweet after the gig and he returned to an empty hotel room expecting a party with a bathtub full of beer and no-one turned up.
what did he say about sydney?

what did he say about sydney?

Anthony Bourdain was one of his friends and either had filmed Anton cooking or was going to film him cooking at his home in Berlin. Anton found out that Bourdain had died while off stage the day before. Anyway while he was relating the story some people were woo-ing and he said that was the wrong response. More "woos" from asshole hecklers. Then a response no wonder you have the lockout (early closing nightclubs) laws in here in Sydney you Sydney people can't handle your alcohol. Followed by a big "ohh" from the audience and some embarrassed silence, which was strange in a sold out gig.

"I think i'll just play same music and not share anything with you from now on."

Like I said tension

A Place To Bury Strangers - Keep Slipping Away

KUGS 89.3 - Western Washington University - Bellingham WA

Last edited:
This is cool. Another way to locate college stations. Spinitron. Quote: "Spinitron caters to college, community and educational stations where the DJs spin the tunes according to independent aesthetic policies. Thousands of these stations across the country provide the alternative to the narrowly-defined music repertoire that commercial stations are forced to present."

This is kinda fascinating:
https://spinitron.com/
https://spinitron.com/

The charts are cool too, and so is the free 24 hour search:

https://spinitron.com/m/search

Two bands I like that broke up years ago are Seapony and Vivian Girls. No hits for Seapony, but some hits for Vivian Girls:

KUOI - University of Idaho in Moscow
WDBM - Michigan State University in East Lansing
KSYM - San Antonio College
WEFT - A "community" (?) station in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois

LUMP - Curse of the Contemporary

KUGS 89.3 FM - Western Washington University - Bellingham

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom